Score: 3.00 Votes: 2
rate this

What should the West do about Ukraine?

Starter: NightCruiser Posted: 10 years ago Views: 16.7K
  • Goto:
Lvl 4
Quote:
Originally posted by qldttr
I feel there pain, in Ukraine, they are very special people, I have been there many times with my work, I have meet lots of very special people there, it is very corrupt there, from the local police to the government

Yea most floundering countries have corrupt governments. From the police,, all the way to the top ie Mexico, Ukraine etc The people may be great but they are trapped in a system that doesn't work --for them, that is. One big reason, we are seeing rebellion all over the world. Surprising there isn't rioting in Mexico.
Lvl 70
Quote:
Originally posted by NightCruiser

Yea most floundering countries have corrupt governments. From the police,, all the way to the top ie Mexico, Ukraine etc The people may be great but they are trapped in a system that doesn't work --for them, that is. One big reason, we are seeing rebellion all over the world. Surprising there isn't rioting in Mexico.

Well, others countries have some sort of corruption too. It's not has direct as bribing but when you think of it, lobbying for example is one form of corruption and it's very strong in the US (and is starting to grow in France too )
Lvl 8
If any other country wants to go ahead and start fighting everyone else's battles, please do. I for one am tired of hearing about dead US soldiers and seeing our country go bankrupt as we funnel funds from government services we need into more military funding. Yeah, we have to cut funds for veterans but increase funds for war mongers.
Lvl 4
Looks like Russia is getting ready to do something. They are starting military maneuvers . Then one representative said they were prepared to protect Russians in ukraine . I haven't seen any threat against russia

Quote:
Originally posted by Lia
I Thought that the Ukrainians could express themselves in a way that would be appropriate for their desires, now jus hope that the Russians don't send their tanks in to subjugate the Ukrainian people to their wishes. Now we should help teach them with non-military assets, not start sending them billions of dollars but with teachers and that type of support.
Lvl 4
Really ticks me off that Putin thinks he can interfere with what most Ukrainians want. Looks like Russia has already invaded part of Ukraine on a small scale. Remember when Georgia rebelled and Putin sent tanks in? I think there should be severe UN sanctions against Russia if they don't withdraw from the Airport. Let the Ukrainians decide their future. Least make them pay an economic price they won't soon forget
Lvl 70
Quote:
Originally posted by NightCruiser
Really ticks me off that Putin thinks he can interfere with what most Ukrainians want. Looks like Russia has already invaded part of Ukraine on a small scale. Remember when Georgia rebelled and Putin sent tanks in? I think there should be severe UN sanctions against Russia if they don't withdraw from the Airport. Let the Ukrainians decide their future. Least make them pay an economic price they won't soon forget

The problem is the UN are pretty bad at enforcing stuff
Lvl 4
The UN did pretty good with Iran. Iran is pretty much economically destitute now. That is why they have agreed to Nuke deals ie inspections etc They want their foreign bank accounts unfrozen. They want to get the oil sales back up. Russia is very dependent on exports to other countries. The Russian economy is not all that hot as it is with the US increased Natural gas and Oil capacity. Putin thinks and wishes he could go back to the old Soviet days--which failed back then and will fail today IMO The former KGB macho man is stuck in a by-gone era
Lvl 70
Maybe but I really don't see the UN doing something as hard as what they did with less powerful countries (like Iran) to Russia. It would be nice, but I'm not getting much hope there.
Lvl 42
Quote:
Originally posted by Davey45
If I'm Barack Obama, I'm letting someone else handle that problem. Time for the US to stop being world police. Let other countries take care of themselves and stop intervening in everyone's business.

Delusional and blinkered
Lvl 29
We should do nothing. Yell, scream, jump up & down, but do nothing.
Lvl 42
Quote:
Originally posted by Lia

If we lived in a perfect world that might work, but our world is very imperfect look at our President.......

Lia

What's Obama got to do with anything!!

The delusion is that 'Merica are the world's good guys!!! There ARE NO GOOD GUYS in world politics and especially NOT America. You've been interfering in the politics of other countries since at least the Philippines in 1899 and you've never stopped. Yes Putin's a particularly bad guy but he's no worse than GW jnr, who caused more death and suffering in other countries than anyone.
Lvl 4
Yea and Putin bashed GW for interfering in Iraq and Libya and told us to stay away from Syria. But Putin has invaded Georgia and now the Ukraine. Just as tad bit Hypocritical, don't ya think? Neither of those countries did anything to deserve being invaded besides wanting to decide their own destinies. I don't agree with GB Junior invading Iraq or getting involved with Lybia BUT the 2 do not compare with Russia's attack on 2 border countries.
Lvl 20
Direct US involvement would simply make Russia dig in.

We have to remember that this is the equivalent of if the United States fractured into independent nations and there were a dispute between two major states (such as Florida and Texas, if they shared a border).

Even though they would no longer be part of a union, we wouldn't take very kindly to the circumstance being exacerbated by Russian involvement, and our response if Russia started telling us what to do about it would be pretty much the exact opposite of what they wanted. This would be especially true if both states had formerly hated Russia, and both were busy trying to build their power-base on a case of "we can stand up to Russia, Russia is evil, Russia is still our enemy, is still meddling, and now they're trying to take over. Blah blah blah Russian fear mongering and they're coming for our guns!"

Imagine how well that would play for Russia in either Texas or Florida, even if they were at each other's throats. Imagine how that might play out across the continent - even in places not directly affected by it such as Canada and Mexico.

Alarm bells would go off throughout our entire continent, and Russia would pay a hefty price for sticking its nose into such a circumstance.

The same is true here. Even though the Ukraine has moved towards the EU, the EU is not the US.

Ukraine and Russia are siblings. Just like when your brother or sister is dating a new person, you don't get in the middle of their fights. If you do, the only one that will lose is you.
Lvl 6
I think we send miley cirus over to Putin for a 10 hour grind. By that time his mind will be off it and all will be restored
Lvl 19
Quote:
Originally posted by ccss71
I think we send miley cirus over to Putin for a 10 hour grind. By that time his mind will be off it and all will be restored

No one wants to see that, period

Would make things worse
Lvl 8
Thank you, Tarquin. I don't see why any US resident would want that United States to get involved there. Has any country ever just jumped into an issue here? Imagine if Russia disagreed with California legalizing medical marijuana and decided to interject. Ok, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison but still, it's none of their business. Just like the Ukraine is none of the United States' business.
Lvl 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Caligynephobe

Delusional and blinkered

I don't get your comment. I'm delusional because I don't want the United States to police the whole world?
Lvl 42
Quote:
Originally posted by Davey45

I don't get your comment. I'm delusional because I don't want the United States to police the whole world?

No more the fact that 'Merica are not, never have been or ever will be 'World Police'.

Also America will never stop intervening/interfering in the running of other countries.

Back on topic.

America (or anyone else for that matter) intervening would be disastrous (not that anybodies capable). Putin has too much too loose, Ukraine is vital to Russia's future. Letting it join the EU he's not going to let it happen.

'Police' suggest some moral authority; where as America have only ever acted out of financial gain, political agenda or ideological hatred.
Lvl 28
Quote:

'Police' suggest some moral authority; where as America have only ever acted out of financial gain, political agenda or ideological hatred.

So like all police pretty much then. Also the point of of the UN is to solve issues like this. So they better get their ass in gear and do something.
Lvl 4
Quote:

No more the fact that 'Merica are not, never have been or ever will be 'World Police'.

Also America will never stop intervening/interfering in the running of other countries.

Back on topic.

America (or anyone else for that matter) intervening would be disastrous (not that anybodies capable). Putin has too much too loose, Ukraine is vital to Russia's future. Letting it join the EU he's not going to let it happen.

A large part of Ukraine wants to do trade with the west. A large part of Ukraine signed an protection agreement with the west. The Soviet Union broke up because large segments of that Unions wanted to choose another path. Putin is trying to get it back together by force and coercion. Things change but Putin has not changed. He still thinks he is living in Soviet KGB times. This single minded love for the past is already costing Russia a fortune economically and it is going to get much worse economically. We have a world economy now. The Russian people will start suffering soon as their monetary value continues to drop. Trade drops. Bank money frozen ETC. We don't have to fire a shot to make Russia suffer. We will sell lots of natural gas and oil to Europe. I haven't seen any evidence their was a real threat to the Russian speaking people in the Ukraine.
Ya know people talk about the US military having a hard time fighting in 3rd world country but we a talking about a Military with close to a Trillion dollar base annual budget. A military that tip toes in 3rd world countries so as to not hurt civilians and destroy property.. What we are capable of is a scorched earth rampage if we so choose. The USA military uses a lot of restraint in wars. You know how we ended the North/ South Korean war? I was watching a documentary on it one night and saw where a General said we just started slaughtering Chinese soldiers by the 10s of 1000s. The Chinese were then ready to negotiate. That was way back on the old days. Much of our Military might is top secret at that. People point out the hard time the Germans had to with Russians in WW2. That was primitive fighting compares to what we have today. So the Russians would have to resort to Nukes and that was be the end of the world as we know it. Makes you wonder why Putin would risk all to confront the west when Obama has been trying to build a close friendship with Russia
Caligynephobe finds this awesome.
  • Goto: