Score: 3.00 Votes: 2
rate this

What should the West do about Ukraine?

Starter: NightCruiser Posted: 10 years ago Views: 16.7K
  • Goto:
Quote:
Originally posted by YahMan
Be advised that Putin is a former KGB high ranking officer, he doesn't like the west and what has occured in the Crimea was pre-planned. One does not place a military force on key locations overnight.

Right. Thats why those troops were placed in Crimea in 1994 as part of an accord between Ukraine and a pro Russian Crimea even back then. They've been waiting 20 years for the perfect time to put this plan into action.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahman
That being said, will that be all? No..he will continue using the so called pro-russian militia saying: "See? This is what the people want so we will protect them" I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong, but frankly...I think I am not.

Thats all fine and dandy, but we know its more than pro russian militia protesting and demanding change. Now, all those protesting may not support re-unification, but a fairly significant percentage of them do. Again, because some people have a hard time reading in this thread, I'm not saying its a majority, but its a significant number, and in some regions it may very well be a majority.
Lvl 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Sugarpie
Right. Thats why those troops were placed in Crimea in 1994 as part of an accord between Ukraine and a pro Russian Crimea even back then. They've been waiting 20 years for the perfect time to put this plan into action.
Thats all fine and dandy, but we know its more than pro russian militia protesting and demanding change. Now, all those protesting may not support re-unification, but a fairly significant percentage of them do. Again, because some people have a hard time reading in this thread, I'm not saying its a majority, but its a significant number, and in some regions it may very well be a majority.

True, however some may seek Russia as 'Motherland' but even a lot of Americans would like to see the South rise..and that is not happening either. My point is: people live in a country, they might not agree on government rules and regulations but they have to deal with it, same as we do. What happens in Ukrain is simply anarchy, a normal response when people think they're without government. It's human nature and Putin knows..and he's using it.
NightCruiser finds this awesome.
Quote:
Originally posted by YahMan

True, however some may seek Russia as 'Motherland' but even a lot of Americans would like to see the South rise..and that is not happening either. My point is: people live in a country, they might not agree on government rules and regulations but they have to deal with it, same as we do.

But we don't. Without rebellion, without demanding change the US would still be ruled by the English, Canada by the French, Mexico by the Spanish...well most of South American can fit into that category, and the list goes on and on. I realize that most of these examples are cases of gaining independence from one nation, and that the situation in Ukraine doesn't quite fit...or does it? Remember that Ukraine was once part of Russia, just because they split away back in 1993, doesn't mean it was the will of all people. Maybe what we're seeing today is people wanting to rejoin the country that they feel they were unjustly separated from?

Regardless of the reason why, it really doesn't matter. There is a percentage of people wanting to rejoin Russia, whether we believe they are doing the right thing or not, they have that right, and if they have enough support of the majority of the people then they should be able to do that, regardless of our beliefs.
[Deleted] finds this awesome.
Lvl 4
I read the other day that Putin would go into the rest of Ukraine but knows Russia can't afford to get involved in a civil war. Sanctions are also having an effect on what Russia can do. So for now it looks like disrupt and conquer. Going in the back door instead of the front door
[Deleted] finds this awesome.
Lvl 4
Russia just went over to the East and started a Civil war. Thinking this will force the East to see things their way. They don't have to send troops into the East now since their agents in the East have done the job. There is voting going on under the threat of Sniper attacks on those who dare to vote--according to articles I have read.
Side note, Russia signed a $400 billion natural gas deal with China. Russia owns 50% of the gas company. This was not a good deal for the Gas company seeing how they have to build new gas pipeline ETC. They are hoping China pays some money up front. The low bid has what kept the deal from working out in the past. But Russia is desperate to bypass Europe
  • Goto: