Score: 4.66 Votes: 32
rate this

Rural Explorations...The Saga continues ! (brought back to life by everyone)

Starter: Notech_The_Abbot Posted: 14 years ago Views: 97.9K
  • Goto:
Lvl 22
Now to add to the AZrat. I was on my way home this afternoon and I saw this coyote as I was a mile from home. (we have them too)

Well it crossed the road in front of me and sorta let me take pics

They aren't that good because I got enthusiastic and couldn't work the point and shoot He crossed the road in front of me and seemed like he was waiting for me to take the pic, I fumbled and farted 'till he was about 50 yds. away...(got 3 pics)

As he was leaving the scene I whistled and he turned for the last shot

Lvl 22
the last 3 times i tried to upload pics here i got a "page has expired" when i hit "post message."
Lvl 12
Notech, sweet Coyote shots, and quick thinking getting him to turn around with a whistle. I never have any luck getting pictures of them, usually too dark on the few occasions I have come across one. Although I did find a dead coyote pup once, could possibly be a grey wolf though, not sure. Turkey Vultures and Crows had already been picking at it already. Check out how far they pulled the intestine out in the 2nd pic.

Found it about 40 miles north of Minneapolis, MN at a place called Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area.
Lvl 22
Quote:
Originally posted by azdesertrat

the last 3 times i tried to upload pics here i got a "page has expired" when i hit "post message."

Are your pics too big? If not try chickupload,it's easy to do

@ hornithologist, thanks

Whistling stops a lot of animals because they a curious.

And poor puppy, looks coyote to me.
Lvl 22
I like windmills too

A few weeks ago I was 30 or so miles west and ran across this one at the site of an old farmstead. You can barely see the foundation behind it.

Then last week I was 25 mi so. of home and found this one

Lvl 6
I've been a fan of nature forever being I grew up just a few miles from the natural bridge in VA, I want to post some pics for this thread but I'm not able to at the moment... I'm posting from my phone I'll be sure to do so when I'm with my computer and saved pics I have some great ones I think everyone would enjoy sweet thread NOTECH!!
Lvl 22
Thanks SWEETMEAT, post all that you can ! That's what this thread is all about
Lvl 22
dead owl in my desert. my shoe is 12.25 inches long

edit: rats...still won't upload

Az
Lvl 22
Quote:
Originally posted by azdesertrat

dead owl in my desert. my shoe is 12.25 inches long

edit: rats...still won't upload

Az

That's just strange. I know that it works for you always, are they the wrong thing like tif instead or jpg ?

Or perhaps it's just Arizona pics won't load here!

Edit: Nope mine work so it can't be that

Let's see...I went to Mesa a few yrs. ago. I really liked the parks that are everywhere

This is one. It's not rural,but gives the feeling of it.

These two are headed west about 20 mi out headed to Cali.

Lvl 37
great pix notech!

I'm counting yours so I'll know when to start posting mine again.

I realized the other day that i have a ton of outdoor pics but they are 35 mm slides. I need a way to put them in the thread....
Lvl 27
I really need to get out more with my camera, there are some really cool pics in here guise
Lvl 22
TK , your scanner doesn't have a slot for slides and negatives ? I thought they all did, mine does.

And thanks Demonic, people are adding some awesome pics here (you gotta have something to share)
Lvl 37
Quote:
Originally posted by notech

TK , your scanner doesn't have a slot for slides and negatives ? I thought they all did, mine does.

Whoopy-T-Doo-Doo

Mine doesn't have a slot but I was gonna scan them and edit. Been too lazy lately. Actually I've managed to catch a "bug" of some kind.
Lvl 12
Here are some pics from last year, maybe two years ago. I took them at the Mississippi Rver in Monticello, MN (central MN). This patch of the Mississippi doesn't freeze because of a power plant. Hundreds of Trumpeter Swans hang out at this spot all winter. They are fed cracked corn everyday. Feeding the swans is necessary because most of them don't know how to fly south. They are all birds from a captive breeding program started in the 80's. And with no experienced swans to teach them, they simply don't know where to go to find food in the winter. Every now and then they try and force them to fly south, by not putting the food out, but heavy casualties force them to start the feeding again. As you can see, Mallards and Canada Geese also take advantage of the free food(courtesy of state and federal taxpayers, and donations from hunting clubs and other wildlife groups).

By the way, they are called Trumpeter Swans for a reason, they sound just like a trumpet. When 500 to 1000 of them are all together, the sound is ... jaw-dropping I guess would be the term.
Lvl 22
hornithologist......

This is kinda not a story thread, so excuse me for telling one Your pics reminded me of the time my brother and bro'inlaw came to my house.

They were really excited about this "snow goose" that was enormous .......(you know the rest of the story)
ITT:
Lvl 9
There are many great photos here.

Thank You for sharing them!
Lvl 22
@ nerph, Thank you! I feel honored that you respect my age as all young people should

I only hope that you have a camera and can get out of the house to add your awesome contributions too !!!

(you could be bedridden for all I know,I hope not)
Lvl 22
katje, thank you , we are glad you like ! You can share too if you want

I took a little trip yesterday and found this new rock wall/fence. We have miles of very old Chinese built walls everywhere. (I'll try to get pics)

We live in a volcanic area with lots of rock from them. To clear the fields they built walls and fences. In the background of this one you can see a cinder cone.

Of course I need my token tree pic

And on the west side of the road is a field that's not had the rocks cleared yet .

Lvl 22
While I was stopped here I looked down and to my surprise I found this indian love stone

• Goto: