Score: 4.66 Votes: 32
rate this

Rural Explorations...The Saga continues ! (brought back to life by everyone)

Starter: Notech_The_Abbot Posted: 14 years ago Views: 97.9K
  • Goto:
Lvl 22
Sweet, I get to continue my trek with no interruptions

Just past the rock wall, I come out looking at this valley with a great view of Mt. Lassen.

In the valley it seems it's great for growing wine grapes. The Manton valley wineries are getting world acknowledgment as up and coming

new world wineries. (if you see the green spots in the far right that's the vineyards)

I zoomed Lassen for the hell-of-it, see..

Lvl 22
I was on a quest to find a bridge that I promised Honda I would get some bat pics from. The bridge is down in the top center dry grass yellow of that

pic. (somewhere) Turns out I was on the wrong road. (Hmm..) I had to drive down the north side of that pic across the valley,up the other side,and

then north to the other side of the two knob hills there in the distance. And then back to the bridge. (it was gone)

I did find another Indian Love Stone tho'

to be continued...
Lvl 28
Quote:
Originally posted by notech

I was on a quest to find a bridge that I promised Honda I would get some bat pics from. The bridge is down in the top center dry grass yellow of that

pic. (somewhere) Turns out I was on the wrong road. (Hmm..) I had to drive down the north side of that pic across the valley,up the other side,and

then north to the other side of the two knob hills there in the distance. And then back to the bridge. (it was gone)

[ Image ]

I did find another Indian Love Stone tho'

to be continued...

That bridge is pretty cool beans...Neat.
Lvl 12
Notech ... Cool bridge, even though it is not there. And, I've also had friends call them Snow Geese.

Here's a couple of bridges from northeastern Minnesota. They are in state parks along the North Shore of Superior.

And, about a week ago I stumbled across a young Great Horned Owl. This was near the St. Croix River, which creates the border between Minnesota and Wisconsin, before the Mississippi takes over the job further south. Not the greatest pic since it was about 100 yards away.
Lvl 22
horned ows are cool. this one was in my next door neighbors yard just before dark
Lvl 12
AZ ... glad to see you're able to post again. Sweet owl shot. Love how the eyes turned out at dusk.

Here are some more owls. All photographed in Minnesota. First one is a Barred Owl, which can be found all over the U.S. pretty much. As for the next two, they are usually up in Canada, but sometimes come down to northern Minnesota when rodent populations drop in Honda's territory. 2nd is a Great Gray Owl, 3rd a Northern Hawk Owl.
Lvl 9
I LOVE the bridges and non-bridges.

The pictures of the owls are fantastic azdesertrat and hornitholgist. I have seen two in the wild but not close up detail like these images.

OK notech what is an Indian Love Stone? One looks like a hatchet head. I can't tell too much from the other.

Are they stone? The first looks like it might be either petrified wood or obsidian.
Lvl 22
They are both volcanic stones.

An Indian Love Stone = just another fuckin' rock
Lvl 9
Quote:

They are both volcanic stones.

An Indian Love Stone = just another fuckin' rock

I bit huh?

I know pieces of obsidian are called Apache Tears. Weren't we all rock hounds when children. I still have some.
Lvl 22
Sorry to have hit you with that old joke

I've found Apache tears in my yard. As I know them they are small round smooth pieces of obsidian.

I live in an ancient volcanic area, lots of cool rocks and a few love stones
Lvl 9
It's Ok, I am a Jenious but I can so gullible at times.
Curiosity killed the cat. My ID means kitten or kitty.
Lvl 59
here's some things I took pictures of for the hell of it.

I dunno it it technically counts as Rural Explorations or not, but I'm posting them anyway.

Here is when I was driving behind a fish truck in the woods.

Then here are a couple where I was on I-78 driving around some rural bum-fuck areas on my way to places.

Lvl 22
Hey EL, thanks for the pics At least you have a clean windshield

And as everyone here knows, I like trees, and driving to get pics !
Lvl 22
@ webbie, those cavern pics reminds me of a few that when I find them I can share too ....I found them

Shasta Caverns, about 50 mi. north of me. The first pic is of what they are under,if you look closely at about the center, you can almost see the opening.

Oh yeah you get there by boat only.

Lvl 22
The old tour went up here. The new one goes around the stairs.

Lvl 22
Just past the stairs you find the first stalagmites.... angel hair I think don't remember

Then run of the mill ones.....

Lvl 22
More run of the mill.....

This last one is taken of the lights from the people ahead through one of the many tunnels that they won't let you go through now

It's about a 3/4 mi. walk, and way cool,but, I Hate Caves
Lvl 27
On the subject of caves, here is a thread I started some time ago, I'd post the pics here, but that seems like lots of work

http://whatboyswant.com/forum_read/3844632/1/10/Going_Deep.html
Lvl 22
Quote:
Originally posted by Demonicmale

On the subject of caves, here is a thread I started some time ago, I'd post the pics here, but that seems like lots of work

[ Link ]

Well get that sucker open again, I've got more....
Lvl 27
Quote:

Well get that sucker open again, I've got more....

If you have more then get busy and post those suckers here...
  • Goto: