Score: 4.71 Votes: 14
rate this

my stop smoking journal

Starter: DEMO Posted: 10 years ago Views: 21.5K
  • Goto:
Lvl 27
16th day...

1st week was fairly simple, 2nd week was tougher as the cravings were gone but my daily routine is full of times when I would light up. The past couple days have sseemed to be a bit easier as I'm getting more used to the fact I can be and feel productive without always being busy just by smoking.

A gym at this point isn't to necessary as my job is fairly physical and I find myself moving about more in the evening instead of just sitting puffing away.
Lvl 8
It certainly is a lot easier to be active when you can actually take a few steps without breathing heavy. Never realized how weak my lungs had gotten.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Going to be some time beforeI feel iI can breathe properly again, but it will be well worth the wait.
omuh finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
On day 37, kinda, had one smoke 3 days ago, was in a horrible mood for 2 weeks, thought I was missing something great by not lighting up. So, everyone in the house went to bed and I went to the porch, grabbed 1 of my wife's smokes and went to smoking. Haven't had another since, and the desire to want one seemed to llessen immediately after choking down that 1 cigarette, I learned a quick lesson, that I would have to teach myself to smoke again as I did 30 plus years ago, the damn thing tasted awful .
F1098 finds this awesome.
Lvl 4
most cannot quit smoking ...what you smoke is important .... nicotine does not cause cancer ... neither does caffeine ... but what one needs to understand is that cigarettes have 7000 chemicals and 600 or so additives ... they cause cancer ... American Spirit cigarettes ONLY have nicotine and tobacco ... ONLY .... cigars are the same .... nicotine and tobacco .... try those .... please .... everyone needs to get as many of chemicals out of there bodies as possible
Lvl 8
Quote:
Originally posted by stevenfath
most cannot quit smoking ...what you smoke is important .... nicotine does not cause cancer ... neither does caffeine ... but what one needs to understand is that cigarettes have 7000 chemicals and 600 or so additives ... they cause cancer ... American Spirit cigarettes ONLY have nicotine and tobacco ... ONLY .... cigars are the same .... nicotine and tobacco .... try those .... please .... everyone needs to get as many of chemicals out of there bodies as possible

WTF? Dude, do you work for the tobacco industry? ALL CIGARETTES are terrible for you and cause cancer. Tobacco causes cancer. You could grow your own tobacco and roll it yourself and you will get cancer from smoking it. The answer isn't to switch brands, it's to stop smoking. And anybody can if they really want to .

Good job, DEMO. Keep it up.
Lvl 4
sure brother .... just a Board Certified General Surgeon who has seen it all and read everything about it ..... the cigarette companies want you to blame Tobacco ... good job and quit .... that is perfect but I am providing a less toxic way of getting there .... that is all and no I do not work for tobacco companies, ha ....
Lvl 27
I think I'll stay right where I am, not smoking anything, seems like the safest thing to do by far lol

And thanks Davey, hard to believe I started this thread so long ago, and by my math, about $16,000.00 ago
Lvl 8
Never in my life have I heard a "Board Certified General Surgeon" suggest switching to a different brand of cigarette or cigars as a method to quit smoking. BTW, I'm a board certified NASA astronaut.
Lvl 8
Quote:
Originally posted by DEMO
I think I'll stay right where I am, not smoking anything, seems like the safest thing to do by far lol

And thanks Davey, hard to believe I started this thread so long ago, and by my math, about $16,000.00 ago

Hi DEMO hows it going with the no smoking?
Lvl 12
Hang in there Demo your gonna to beat it
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Welshman
Hi DEMO hows it going with the no smoking?

Terrible, back to my 2 pack a day habit.

gotta try again real soon, damn things are back to kicking my ass :-(
Lvl 25
Hey, just wanna give my 2 cents on how i quit a little more than 2 years ago after smoking for more than 25 years.

I was smoking up to 2 packs a day, i tried quitting cold turkey using candy, gum, nicotine gum and patches numerous times and nothing seemed to work.

A friend had mentioned trying vaping and my first thought was how stupid it seemed and that its just a fad that everyone was into. It was fairly new and i hadnt heard much about it except for annoying college kids.

Time went on and i tried patches again. I fucked up one day and put 2 patches on in one day. I put one on, it wasnt sticking very well so an hour later, i put another on. Needless to say, i became very sick from the overload of nicotine and didnt use them any further and never would again.

A little bit of time went on and i was telling a co-worker avout what i was trying to do and what happened earlier. He had a small eleaf vape that he let me try. It actually wasnt that bad so i tried it a few more times. Nothing else had worked so i decided to try vaping.

On October 31st or 2015, i smoked my last cigarette and bought a vape and havent looked back since. It was a little difficult and different to get used to but i kept telling myself to stick with it. I started with 6mg of nicotine, 3 months later moved to 3mg of nicotine, 3 months later i moved to 0mg juice and within 2 months i had quit vaping.

Since quitting, i feel better, sleep better, smell better, taste more, can do more and i dont get sick as much as i did when i smoked. It was a little expensive at first, about 120 for everything needed (mod, tank, batteries, liquid) but there are so many new things out that you can get started with a great setup for around 60 bucks or so, depending on where you go.

I have gotten 3 family members and multiple friends to start vaping and all of them are doing great. Some have quit everything but some are still vaping but its not as bad as all the chemicals that are in tobacco.

All in all, one of THE BEST decisions i have ever made.
Lvl 27
Thanks JAWZ, I appreciate the input, quitting is on my mund every single day still, almost to the point it's making me crazy. I know I need to quit, damn cigs are killing me,
Lvl 25
Its a very hard thing to do regardless of the method you chose but soooo worth it in the end. You should give vaping a try or atleast look in to it.
* This post has been modified : 6 years ago
Lvl 8
The vape might not be a bad idea. I was able to quit cold turkey but not everybody handles it the same. With the vape pen, you can lower nicotine levels incrementally so it's not just a huge shock from two packs of cigs to nothing. It's going on five years since I smoked my last cigarette.
Lvl 17
Cost is one thing that would put me off. Here in UK a pack costs $14.00 and each year the tax causes yje price to rise. I speak as a smug exsmoker who gave up after getting a throat infection, I thought if this is bad what is throat cancer like. I too was a 2 pack a day man but stopped cold turkey. I'm not trying to brag I do think you have to have the mind set to quit. I must admit to dreaming about smoking for up to 12 months after I quit. I used to dream I had started smoking again and would wake up very depressed> I must admit a tobacco free life is enjoyable and I do like the laws banning smoking in restaurants and bars
Jullexxx finds this awesome.
Lvl 17
I smoked for 30+ years without to much consideration of quitting in this time, listening to my two kids complaining about it all the time when they were growing up etc. I also thought, fuck I'm not going to vape how fucking queer is that. Then I started listening to a couple people and they made some sense, so I thought I would try it. I tried different shit for about a year, only problem was now I smoked and vaped! Sooo eventually I found the right vape gear etc, and on July 4 of 2011 I said I am not going to smoke another cigarette after today, I didn't and have not had a cigarette since that day. BUT now i have a vaping problem...so what the fuck ya gonna do.....
Good Luck stopping smoking
Lvl 8
Quote:
Originally posted by beamer142
Cost is one thing that would put me off. Here in UK a pack costs $14.00 and each year the tax causes yje price to rise. I speak as a smug exsmoker who gave up after getting a throat infection, I thought if this is bad what is throat cancer like. I too was a 2 pack a day man but stopped cold turkey. I'm not trying to brag I do think you have to have the mind set to quit. I must admit to dreaming about smoking for up to 12 months after I quit. I used to dream I had started smoking again and would wake up very depressed> I must admit a tobacco free life is enjoyable and I do like the laws banning smoking in restaurants and bars

I still have dreams where I'm smoking and it fucks with my head because consciously I have no interest at all.
Lvl 20
the vape thing could work. try it. can't be much more expensive than cigs.

but you really do have to reach the point to where you say I will never smoke another cigarette.

you have to be sick of it.

Jan 1986. not one since.
  • Goto: