Score: 4.71 Votes: 14
rate this

my stop smoking journal

Starter: DEMO Posted: 10 years ago Views: 21.4K
  • Goto:
Lvl 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Davey45

Stay strong. Anytime you feel like you need a smoke, just remember that non smokers never feel like they need a smoke. It's 100% mental.

That was my thought process that it's all mental - a human being isn't suited or built to smoke, that gave me little boost in itself.
Demo, it's great to hear that you've got this far well done to you, just take it one step at a time

I've got a question for anyone that can answer it, how long will it take for the nicotine in your body to clear after your last cigarette?

Some people say 48 hours other's say a week, because once it's left your body then the mental battle begins
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Thanks Welsh

All the books I've read say 3 days, I'm going on day 5 this morning, and my body feels as though it is still leaving it. Just continue to have a slight knot in my stomach, kinda feels like a nervous feeling, but from experience i know it's the same feeling I'd get after not smoking for several hours.
Lvl 27
Think of all the poor tobacco plants being cut down and do it for them.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Plant sensitivity training
RiffRaff finds this awesome.
Lvl 8
Yeah, most of what I've read says that the physical withdrawal symptoms only persist for a few hours and after a day or two the nicotine is out of your system. Honestly, the first two weeks were a bit trying. I had to resort to literally telling myself out loud "you don't want a cigarette, you're not a smoker" when the cravings would get rough. Never broke down, never bought another pack. It only gets easier after the first couple of weeks. The thought of smoking a cigarette now just seems gross to me. I know that I personally went out of my way not to change my regular routine. I would still go to the same places, still have drinks, all the stuff that would normally make me want to smoke. I didn't want to change my lifestyle to the point that when I eventually went back to the bar or hung around smokers, I wouldn't go right back to smoking. Whatever works for you, stick with it.
RiffRaff, DEMO find this awesome.
Lvl 27
I have been constantly telling myself I'm not a smoker, yesterday was actually the toughest out of the 5 days I've been a nonsmoker.

I have changed nothing about what my days are like, still drink my pot of coffee in the morning, and have mah beers in the evening. Was also huge to me to not change anything or try to substitute anything for my cigarettes.
Lvl 41
I had built up to 40 a day for OVER 50 years and was told to kick the habit immediately or face the deadly consequences. I estimated I had smoked over 600,000 cigarettes in that time.. In New Zealand we have a government that has increased a packet of cigarettes by 10% each year for the last 4 years and now a packet costs just under $25. I was sent to a free organization called Smoke Free. Free being the ultimate wording here as all Patches and Gums are subsidized by the Government. This was my first attempt at quitting an can now say I haven't has a cigarette for over ten months.
To be honest I didn't know that my body could feel so good with many benefits including taste, smell, tiredness to name a few not to mention the $$$s one has saved.
I wish you luck my friend, nothing is ever easy in life. Below is a link to what I consider has helped me kick the habit mostly. I swear by this product if you can get your hands on it in the USA.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.nicorette.co.nz/products/quick-mist
DEMO, Davey45 find this awesome.
Lvl 27
Thanks mr, good to hear someone with the same 2 pack aday habit as I had can kick it
Lvl 8
I'd be lying if the I said the price increases didn't affect my urge to quit. When I started smoking in the 90's in high school, a pack of cigarettes cost anywhere from $1.50-$2.00 a pack. I remember buying cartons of Marlboros at the Seminole reservation for $13. By the time I quit, a pack of Marlboros was around $6.50- $7.00. I couldn't even tell you how much a carton costs but I'm assuming at least $50. I started adding up all the money I was spending and it was ridiculous. Maybe half a pack a day during the week and a pack a day on the weekends. I was spending anywhere from $30 to $50 a week on cigarettes. I could finance a cheap car for what I was spending on smoking.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Between buying cigarettes for myself and my wife, I was spending approximately 20 bucks a day...
Lvl 8
Hi DEMO any update's?

I've roughly what i'd spend on cigarette's over the 30+ years that i'd smoked, and it was a scarey amount.

Thanks to the poster's that replied to my question regarding the cravings, i was always curious if there was a medically accepted time period or whether it varied. For me it was around a week - ten days, then it became a mental battle.

I get asked now and then how long do they last and i always reply 'it varies' but sadly some people want to know exactly, but i'm not them.

I still get those days when i 'need' a cigarette but thankfully those days are few and far between, and i don't want to regress and throw away all my hard work in stopping.

Good luck to all that are trying to rid themselves of this habit, Winner's are Loser's that keep trying!!
Lvl 9
well i smoked for 28 years and since monday i have stopped cold turkey , i didn't think i could ever quit

but monday i started hurting , went to the ER , they did an EKG and airlifted me to another hospital after
the stabilized me after i crashed and had an NDE experience for 30 seconds. , and i immediately had a cath
done with a stent and a angioplasty in OM1 and OM2.

im 41 and now a heart patient , im 180 lbs and 5'8" , i cook my own meals atleast 6 days a week and when i eat out
it's usually chinese , i don't eat hamburgers or any fast food except for maybe 2 or 3 times a year (yes...seriously)
i could work our some more , but the shifts i work it's hard to motivate myself to do that..

most of my friends and family were highly surprised to hear that i had a cardiac event.

so you see you heart doesn't care if your 20 or 60....

i do know the whole experience made me quit smoking....i do not even want a cigarette anymore,
that experience was scary enough to set me straight.
Notech_The_Abbot finds this awesome.
Lvl 12
Hang in there Demo. After 45 years of smoking I didn't think I could do it either, until I was given an oxygen bottle to pack around. A little late but I quit and you can too.
Lvl 27
Only update is I'msstill trying, for whatever reason I simply can't get my brain on the same page as my body to quit. I know I need to quit, the constant coughing and occasional chest pain now are telling me this. I willnnever stop tryin , I have at least cut back from the more than 2 packs a day, to not allowing myself more than 1 pack a day.
Notech_The_Abbot finds this awesome.
Lvl 29
Quote:
Originally posted by DEMO
Only update is I'msstill trying, for whatever reason I simply can't get my brain on the same page as my body to quit. I know I need to quit, the constant coughing and occasional chest pain now are telling me this. I willnnever stop tryin , I have at least cut back from the more than 2 packs a day, to not allowing myself more than 1 pack a day.

I think that is easier quit that way.. next step is 1/2 pack a day.. and so on.. you can do it DEMO..
Lvl 9
Quote:
Originally posted by Jullexxx
I think that is easier quit that way.. next step is 1/2 pack a day.. and so on.. you can do it DEMO..

and for some people it's more physically challenging to quit , i know when my dad quit many years ago it got so bad he couldn't sleep and you could hardly talk to him without him biting your head off...
Lvl 8
Quote:

Only update is I'm still trying, for whatever reason I simply can't get my brain on the same page as my body to quit. I know I need to quit, the constant coughing and occasional chest pain now are telling me this. I will never stop trying , I have at least cut back from the more than 2 packs a day, to not allowing myself more than 1 pack a day.

One day everything will fall into place for you. Some people can stop at the drop of a hat, other's, like me for instance took dozens of attempts to finally make it stick. Demo all you can do is keep trying, you'll get there
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Welshman
One day everything will fall into place for you. Some people can stop at the drop of a hat, other's, like me for instance took dozens of attempts to finally make it stick. Demo all you can do is keep trying, you'll get there

This...

on day 5 now being smoke free :-)
omuh, Jullexxx, Davey45 find this awesome.
Lvl 8
Quote:
This...

on day 5 now being smoke free :-)

Congratulations DEMO getting 5 days under your belt is great news, the next challenge is to get to 6 days then 7 then ........
Keep plugging away you'll get there
How do you feel? How did each day transpire?
Lvl 8
Now, I'd suggest joining a gym. When I quit, I didn't realize how much I'd fill the void with snacking. Not much at first but over time I started to put on weight. Couple that with the fact that I wasn't pumping my body full of a stimulant (nicotine) every hour or so and I put on about 20 lbs. Took me a bit to eventually get back to my pre-quitting weight. Although it was much easier to go to the gym and lose those extra pounds than to make the initial decision to quit smoking and stick with it.
  • Goto: