Score: 4.71 Votes: 14
rate this

my stop smoking journal

Starter: DEMO Posted: 10 years ago Views: 21.5K
  • Goto:
Lvl 29
I haven't had a cigarette since sometime in November, not sure of the day. I smoked for 20-something years, quit for a couple years, got healthy & ran a marathon. Then I went back to smoking in "03 and did it for another decade before this last time quitting. I have quit doing all sorts of bad habits, including robbing banks (joking!). For me, smoking was the toughest one ever. Just a real hard habit to break.

So I honor your excellent effort here, Demo, and I will say a quick prayer for your success to the Spirit of the Universe. Via con dios, my friend.
DEMO, Goldseeker find this awesome.
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by manoft
had a heart attack 12 years ago was a 2 pack a day smoker quit cold turkey never looked back 7 years earlier i quit drinking that was by far the hardest and still yo this day i wou;d like a cold beer but have stayed away good luck on your quitting

The heart attack thing is one of those things I'm trying to avoid, my dad has had a lot of heart issues over the years, and I have had this constant nagging pain in my chest for the past several months. The pain has all but disappeared in the past 3 days, so I guess I can attribute that directly to the cigs.
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by unclesomething
I haven't had a cigarette since sometime in November, not sure of the day. I smoked for 20-something years, quit for a couple years, got healthy & ran a marathon. Then I went back to smoking in "03 and did it for another decade before this last time quitting. I have quit doing all sorts of bad habits, including robbing banks (joking!). For me, smoking was the toughest one ever. Just a real hard habit to break.

So I honor your excellent effort here, Demo, and I will say a quick prayer for your success to the Spirit of the Universe. Via con dios, my friend.

Thank you kind sir, I appreciate any support I can get

Hope I don't start robbing banks, although, the cigs have robbed me of a ton of dough over the years, maybe I'll start robbing bakeries
Lvl 8
Yeah sometimes you forget exactly how much money smoking costs. I was around a pack a day. Packs here cost between $6-$7. Easy math tells me I'm saving almost $50 a week. I think the cost of cigarettes has gone up more than anything else. When I was a senior in high school (1997) a pack of cigarettes would cost $1.50 maybe $2 of you went to an expensive place. You could get cartons of Marlboros at the Indian reservation for like $12. Now they're over $50

My dad has smoked for the better part of the last 50 years. He's still relatively healthy (lucky) but I know deep down, he's cut his life short quite a bit.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Another update...

The wife finished the book last evening, smoked her last cig right before bed.
Davey45, [Deleted], Goldseeker find this awesome.
Lvl 28
I'm glad for you both, Buddy.

If you are tempted again, just gimme a call and I'll run up there and punch you in the face.

Should take your mind off the ciggy.

Yes. I would do this for you.
F1098, DEMO, jenngurl23 find this awesome.
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by bustMall

If you are tempted again, just gimme a call and I'll run up there and punch you in the face.

Good to know such true friends are willing to do me bodily harm

Thanks buddy
Lvl 27
Interesting, seems the longing for a cig is worse today, then it has been the past 3...
Lvl 17
I love the fact that you quit smoking. I am helping my friend quit smoking. I know she can do it and I will be there to help. Also a neat thing is I told my mom when i was 8 to quit smoking and she did. that was 27 years ago. She has been smoke free since then!!
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Thanks doc, and good for you helping your friend, sometimes I think as a friend, you have to be as patient as the person trying to quit...
Lvl 8
Quote:
Originally posted by bustMall

bustMall that is perfect! I love this -

Demo it's great to read that your lady has finished reading the book and is ready to have a try May i wish you 'strength and honour' i've just watched Gladiator sorry

For every minute that i didn't smoke it gave me strength, every hour of every day that i didn't smoke i became even stronger, until i knew that sooner or later i really would stop.. one way or the other i would stop.
Every minute of every day i told myself that i didn't need a cig and that it would push me further away from smoking every minute that i didn't smoke
That was one of my thought processes sorry for rambling
Lvl 27
Thanks Welshman, your support is immensely appreciated, although I did fail for the time being, but, ive read my book again, and am going to try this again, I really can't afford to fail.

I'm not going to beat myself up over it, I've been in this position before, and although it never gets easier, I'm not willing to give up. Will keep everyone updated on my progress.
exocet, [Deleted] find this awesome.
Lvl 28
Demo,

Just admitting online that a wheel fell off the wagon is a good step. That's hard after such an outpouring of support.

I knew a guy that quit, and 12 years later he told me "If the doc says I have x time to live, the first thing I'll do is buy a carton of cigs." That really surprised me.

20 years ago, he changed jobs, stress got to him, started smoking again. Like a freekin' chimney. He had a stroke a few years ago.

Details over lunch someday soon. I promise.

You can do it. I know ya can.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Thanks bust...

Planning on trying agian, real soon, gotta get my mind right again, which isn't as easy asit seems.
Lvl 9
Don't rush it. Get your head into the space it needs to be. Trying to force this never works, it's a sure-fire way to fail and while you need some trial runs, too many just make quitting seem impossible.

Best of luck!
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 8
Quote:
Originally posted by ranging
Don't rush it. Get your head into the space it needs to be. Trying to force this never works, it's a sure-fire way to fail and while you need some trial runs.

Best of luck!

Keep trying is a sure-fire way of success in the long run. Never give up.
Lvl 8
Quote:
Originally posted by DEMO
Thanks bust...

Planning on trying agian, real soon, gotta get my mind right again, which isn't as easy asit seems.

Getting your mind right is the most important step of all, whilst it isn't easy it can be done with practise
focus on why you want to stop and take it from there
Lvl 27
Welp, I figured it would take a while to get this done, didn't realize it had been almost 2 years though

Anywho... been about 10 attempts since I started this thread, and as of this moment, 2and a half days smoke free... woot
Lvl 8
Stay strong. Anytime you feel like you need a smoke, just remember that non smokers never feel like they need a smoke. It's 100% mental.
DEMO, Welshman find this awesome.
Lvl 27
Very true Davey, very true

also, this is the longest I've made it, will be 4 days in just over 4 hours woot
  • Goto: