Score: 4.71 Votes: 14
rate this

my stop smoking journal

Starter: DEMO Posted: 10 years ago Views: 21.5K
  • Goto:
Lvl 36
DEMO, do you find that you generally smoke just because instead of feeling like you actually need a smoke? I think I do. I fly a lot and I am completely fine for 8 or 9 hours where it is impossible to smoke. Sure, the first thing I do when I land is bolt outside and light up. But when I am not flying and I am able to smoke, I usually go out every hour to hour and a half and light up.
Lvl 27
Yup musicplr, I light up more from habit than I do from the actual "need" I typically light up ever half hour or so,yet, when in any given situation where I'm not able to smoke, I can go several hours without the feeling of needing one.
Lvl 70
Quote:
Originally posted by DEMO
And omuh, in my book, when it comes to my 36 year addiction, there is a try, it comes down to like several people have said, if you fail you can't beat yourself up over it. If you beat yourself up over it you lose the will to try, and I don't want to lose the will to want to quit

That was just a little joke, I know trying is better than doing nothing

Also, stop putting things in your mouth
Lvl 27
Don't put things in my mouth...

Got it
Lvl 8
I've just registered to say a quick good luck Demo in quitting smoking!

I've stopped smoking three time's in my life so far, all cold turkey because i didn't
want to change one bad habit for another or have to rely on anything other than my own
willpower. You can do this. Do it today.

I quit for the third time in feb 2013, so can you in 2014.

Unfortunately there isn't a guaranteed method, now that would be too easy and absolutely no challenge at all! But happily, there are plenty of choice's to help you choose the right one for you. Yes, you really can do this - you'll be glad you did.

I did try the Paul McKenna method, not for me but worth trying.

I sent away for a 'Give up smoking pack', it was useless apart from the twin colour green bracelet, which did a great job of ocupying my hands!

I also listened to 'Allen Carr - Easy Way to Stop Smoking' mp3, what he spoke about resonated with me. It might with you

For example, allowing a cigarette to control my life. Everything i did revolved around the next cig, that would really annoy me!!

On the days that i struggle (even now) i count the number of days on the calender since i last smoked, and by the time i've done that my mental desire for a cigarette has faded away to practically nothing.

An important aspect to remember is that you might not succeed this time, or next time but keep trying one day you will succeed when the time is right for you. It isn't a failure - it's finding the method that works for you best. Your mindset is key here, get your brain in the right place and you can give it 100%

You can do this Demo.

Make your next cig the last one and throw the rest away in the bin, it's a symbolic gesture - you are taking back control of your life and your health.

Demo you can do this, start today and just keep plodding along 'One day at a time'.

GOOD LUCK!
DEMO, jenngurl23, [Deleted] find this awesome.
Lvl 27
Welshman, it means a lot to me that you registered to simply post here...

Thank you very much for your words of encouragement, and your views on quitting. And I plan on taking back control and not letting the cigs win
Lvl 27
My easy way book should be here in the next couple hours, after I receive it I'll spend the next hours reading, checking in here from to to time.
Lvl 8
Quote:

Welshman, it means a lot to me that you registered to simply post here...

Thank you very much for your words of encouragement, and your views on quitting. And I plan on taking back control and not letting the cigs win

You are more than welcome DEMO. I've lurked here for a while quite happily, but seeing your desire to quit the cigs i had to come on here to offer some help/tips/anything positive! It can be done.

The bracelet that i referred to above is here; read the comments further down the page
Ah the link is greylisted - do a search for Tangle Jr Original Sensory Fidget Toy
This is brilliant to relieve stress and it's well worth the money.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
I'll do a search for that bracelet Welshman, and thanks again

And, my book just arrived, time to start reading
Davey45, jenngurl23 find this awesome.
Lvl 27
So I'm finished reading through chapter 2, and now it's the wifes turn to read. We have decided we will take turns reading chapter by chapter , being able to discuss what we have read as we go along.

So far, everything this man says makes sense, and some parts are actually quite humorous
Davey45 finds this awesome.
Lvl 8
Quote:

So I'm finished reading through chapter 2, and now it's the wifes turn to read. We have decided we will take turns reading chapter by chapter , being able to discuss what we have read as we go along.
So far, everything this man says makes sense, and some parts are actually quite humorous

That's cool, a problem shared is a problem halved and will increase the chance of you and your wife of succeeding. I believe i've got the mp3 version of the book you are both reading. I liked the way he described certain thing's, it made me step back and think for a while and then to look at myself (and think about the damage that i've willfully inflicted on myself). Hang in there and take baby steps you'll both get there in the end
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
My thoughts exactly Welshman, I've finished through chapter 6 now and the wife is reading, and ya know, I've never quite looked at smoking the way it is described in this book, yet it's spot on...
Lvl 27
Got 2 more chapters in last evening before I stopped reading, now through chapter 8.

It's interesting how the first thing I thought when I woke up was the excitement of wanting to be a non-smoker by the end of today. Of all the times I've quit, or tried to quit, I've never woke up feeling like that
Davey45 finds this awesome.
You're going to get there Demo. It's like watching someone start a grand new adventure. One foot in front of the other and keep it going, and it becomes an incredible journey.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Exactly vdg and this book has me looking at quitting in a way I have never looked at it before

And thanks for the support, I really appropriate it
Lvl 8
I felt the same way. I reached a point in the book where I got excited to quit. I always considered quitting smoking to be a horrible and arduous thing before that.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Exactly Davey, now I feel like stopping will give me my life back
Lvl 20
Demo, this thread has been more interesting than I ever thought it could be. Watching the process of you getting to the state of mind you need to
have to actually do this. You are doing it my man.

You will get to the place where people can be smoking all around you and it won't bother you at all because it's just something you don't do.

It will become a non-thing.
DEMO, [Deleted] find this awesome.
I know that you can do it Demo, I have faith in you.....
luv Lia

DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Thanks much guys and gals

I don't know if I've said it, but I'm truly excited, there is a point in the book where dude tells you to light a cigarette, so I did, and the entire time I'm thinking, why am I doing this, why, or how have I become a 2 pack a day smoker...
[Deleted] finds this awesome.
  • Goto: