Score: 4.71 Votes: 14
rate this

my stop smoking journal

Starter: DEMO Posted: 10 years ago Views: 21.5K
  • Goto:
Lvl 27
Me and the wife have been talking, and I'm not sure yet, but I'm hoping she is ready to quit, but I've already ordered the book Davey linked, and it will be delivered on Friday, which is when I'll start reading, and hopefully convince the wife to read it also...
Lvl 8
Before I quit, I'd smoke probably half a pack on weekdays and an easy pack on weekends. Especially if I went out for a few drinks. If I got drunk, I would chain smoke. It's refreshing now, to not have to worry about whether or not I have enough cigarettes or if I should stop and pick up a pack. You really become a slave to the nicotine.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Davey45
Before I quit, I'd smoke probably half a pack on weekdays and an easy pack on weekends. Especially if I went out for a few drinks. If I got drunk, I would chain smoke. It's refreshing now, to not have to worry about whether or not I have enough cigarettes or if I should stop and pick up a pack. You really become a slave to the nicotine.

That ain't no lie!!!
Lvl 8
BTW, the author tells you to keep smoking cigs while you read the book. He is confident by the time you finish, you'll either have already stopped or you'll throw what you have away. I read the book at a super slow pace because I was scared to quit. By the time I was down to the last chapter or two, I crumpled up my last half a pack or so and threw them in the garbage. I hope it works for you as well as it worked for me.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
I read that in the preview Davey, I found that really interesting.
Lvl 19
Good luck to you Demo !
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Thanks F
Lvl 19
I've been there and done that. You can do it and you might actually find it easier than you think. For me the worst thing was not the nicotine. It was the lack of ritual....after sex ( yes), with a drink, after dinner. Those hurt. The nicotine was nothing.

Quote:
Originally posted by DEMO
Thanks F
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Indeed F, my worst fears are, what do I do when I get irritated, what do I do when I get anxious,what do I do after dinner, etc...

It actually scares the hell outta me.
Lvl 20
Someone was at their doctor and asked him "I really want to quit. Do you have any suggestions?"

The doctor said " Don't put them in your mouth."

The person said " Very funny, but really do you have any suggestions on how I could quit?"

The doctor said " Don't put them in your mouth"
DEMO, musicplr find this awesome.
Lvl 4
Some people have had good luck taking Chantix to quit smoking. Some couldn't take the side effects of the drug. Maybe worth a shot but if you start thinking about suicide then wean yourself off it. Get mad at the makers of Cigs. They are made to be addictive as possible. Some 8000 chemicals are in them. You can tell if someone smokes in a home. Their walls are coated with a dingy yellow Nicotine. Imagine what their lungs and other peoples lungs living in the home look like. I know you know all the bad effects and that hasn't made you quit. You just have to reach deep down and get the will power to quit. I have lost some friends and loved ones who had cut at least 15 to 20 years off their lifespans with that nasty habit. Good luck!!!
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
I've thought about chantix, but decided after checking the side effects that it wasn't for me, I'm screwed up enough I don't need a drug messing with how my brain works. Plus, I figured I really don't want one drug to try and get me off of another drug.
As difficult as it might be in persuading your wife to quit, I'm sure your argument will seem a lot stronger once you have managed to do it yourself. At the moment it's probably like a 300lbs man stuffing his face with donuts telling another guy he needs to diet. It'll be harder for you because she'll be smoking while you're trying to quit, but I'm sure if you ask her to be considerate and perhaps not smoke around you until you've completely gotten over your addiction, perhaps the pain of having to go outside to smoke each time (not sure what her current habits are?) and just generally not smoking around you may make it easier for her to eventually give up.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Actually, we have talked some more, and the wife is definitely on board for quitting,
jenngurl23 finds this awesome.
Lvl 17
We can be quitters together. I bought a vapor shark back in november 2013. Stopped buying cigarettes, and had pretty good success for the first month and a half. I had no smokes at all from new years eve until some time in February. Still not buying them. I just have friends that smoke. For a while that was no problem. Then I went to a friends wedding 22nd and I have had a total of about 12 cigarettes since then.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 36
I have quit many times. I am not as old as some of you seem to be posting here, but I have been smoking on and off for 19 years. I have quit several times in the past 10 years for up to three months at a time. Why I went back is still something I haven't figured out. Someone mentioned Chantix. Avoid it like the plague. I tried Chantix and it definitely helped me not want to smoke. Everyone around me noticed changes in my emotions. I finally stopped Chantix when I had a dream about my favorite band chasing me around a hotel with knives trying to capture me and kill me. I had some really screwed up dreams with Chantix.

One thing that has "worked" for me is the Nicotrol inhaler. It has been around for a long time. When it was first introduced, the commercial showed some guy driving a red sports car and everyone thought he was smoking a tampon. It looks weird, but it just has a nicotine cartridge inside and you just puff away on it like a cigarette. I liked it because you still get this harsh sensation in your throat like you are actually smoking. There is no smoke associated with it. For me, this thing got me to quit many times. I would actually stop using it after a week and I would never have cravings or anger again.

I am sure as a smoker you are like many/most of us and have "quit" many times. I mentioned the Nicotrol inhaler has helped me "quit" many times. I have found one of the easiest things to do is quit smoking. Everyone can quit smoking. The hard part is staying quit. After three days your body is over the addiction. After that it is pure habit and that is what always seems to get me.

Good luck with your quitting smoking. I am getting to the quitting point myself. I was a pack a day smoker and I have slowly and unintentionally become half a pack a day. I noticed I actually don't want to smoke as much anymore. I have been told by my doctor and people that have successfully quit smoking that unless you are mentally dedicated to quitting that nothing will work.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
I have tried the electronic cigarettes, yeah, that didn't work so well...

And yes, I've quit many times, and I am, I believe, more dedicated to it this time than I have been in the past, it's something I truly want to do, so hopefully along with the book Davey linked earlier in this thread, I will become a non-smoker after I get my book tomorrow.
musicplr, [Deleted] find this awesome.
Lvl 36
I am going to check that book out too. I have been on the fence about quitting for a couple months now. I definitely found in the past that picking a date or time period definitely seemed to work better for me. There is never a good time to quit, but I believe there are times that are better than others. For example, I don't think trying to quit during the holidays is the best because everyone has those family members that just make you need a cigarette.
DEMO finds this awesome.
Lvl 27
Right, holidays are a bad time

For me, this is about the least stressful time of the year for me, so I figure it's the best time for me to quit.
musicplr finds this awesome.
Lvl 36
I just read over several reviews of that book from different websites. With that kind of reception and massive amounts of 5 star ratings with almost nonexistent lower star ratings, it is hard not to give it a shot. I'm ordering mine today. Glad I read this thread.
DEMO, Davey45, jenngurl23 find this awesome.
  • Goto: