Score: 3.67 Votes: 3
rate this

Discuss how demonic possession and other supernatural things are possible.or not

Starter: NightCruiser Posted: 9 years ago Views: 14.1K
  • Goto:
Lvl 19
Which is exactly why I love science and why scientists speak of theories.

There is the theory of evolution, the theory of string theory, even the theory of gravity ( surprise you ?). We put everything up for inspection and testing for AGES, and if the evidence points elsewhere we ditch it and look elsewhere for an explanation. We are not hard and fast on anything other than "prove it" ! And then successive generations work over and over to get a better understanding of it.

Which is where religion and science part company. Religion is quite content to say " God did it" and that is the end of the discussion. Science is the opposite and over time we may change our view. Science openly says our view is limited. Religion.....pfftttt. Fucking know it alls. I find more humility in the scientific community that in any church.

This human construct of god can't work for me......and when you get into the various cults of jesus and mohammed the politics mean grief for all mankind.

( Yes I did digress, but...)

Quote:
Originally posted by YahMan

That's exactly my point, maybe one day we can see...then again...maybe not. Until then, everything is what we hope it might be.
Lvl 28
Quote:
Originally posted by NightCruiser
What about the Cat that saved the boy from a dog attack? That was a miracle. I have never seen a cat come to the rescue of anyone. Miracles happen every day. Things Doctors can't explain away. Tumors disappear etc I don't know why some receive Miracles and some don't. I think we all have an expiration date and when it is your time to die--you die

"Miracle" indeed. Maybe the cat just hates that dog, or don't like other animals on his territory. Just pure happenstance that the dog happened to be attacking a kid at the time.
Lvl 19
Whatever your belief in miracles is, a pissed off cat is poor evidence for one.
Quote:
You ever watch "Ghost Adventures" "Dead Files"? Obviously not
that and ghost hunters
Lvl 110
Quote:
Originally posted by joey318
...that and ghost hunters

I've tried watching ghost hunters before and finally gave up because I never saw any logical explanations of why they supposedly saw ghosts..it was all done with meters and trick photography.... in fact I have never seen any solid proof presented that there are ghosts..
[Deleted] finds this awesome.
Lvl 59
Food goes in, poop comes out.

Miracle!
Althalus finds this awesome.
I once found a 5 dollar bill on the sidewalk.

Miracle!
Lvl 4
This is what Jesus said over 2000 years ago and it is also similar what many scientist say will happen billions of years from now. That the Sun and the Universe will use up all it's energy and go dark.

http://www.universetoday.com/105588/how-will-the-universe-end/

"So how will the Universe end? The force of dark energy will continue to accelerate the expansion of the Universe until distant galaxies disappear. Galaxies will use up all the gas and dust for stars and go dark, perhaps becoming black holes. Those black holes will decay and maybe matter itself will decay into pure energy. The entire Universe will become a cold, quiet place, where single photons are stretched across light years of space.

Don’t worry, though, that won’t be for quadrillions of years from now....."

Compared to what Jesus said according to the Bible:

Matt.24

[29] Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
[30] And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
[31] And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
[35] Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
[36] But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
Lvl 19
So this is really what you wanted to do in the first place...quote the bible ? Of course. The bible as a reference for anything ?Just about as reliable as Nostradamus in that you can interpret the text anyway that you wish. This is only a sign of someone who is looking for easy answers in life and is too easily seduced by the dogma du jour.
Lvl 4
You dismiss the Bible, but 2000 years ago it said the Universe had a beginning and a end. These people had no access to the technology we have today. Here is Jesus saying the Sun, moon and Stars would end. He didn't mention that it was a theory either. He didn't say God would do it or when it would happen. Could be billion of years
Lvl 19
[reply=NightCruiser]You dismiss the Bible, but 2000 years ago it said the Universe had a beginning and a end. These people had no access to the technology we have today. Here is Jesus saying the Sun, moon and Stars would end. He didn't mention that it was a theory either. He didn't say God would do it or when it would happen. Could be billion of years[/rep

Quote:
He didn't say God would do it or when it would happen. Could be billion of years

How convenient.
Lvl 28
Quote:
You dismiss the Bible, but 2000 years ago it said the Universe had a beginning and a end. These people had no access to the technology we have today. Here is Jesus saying the Sun, moon and Stars would end. He didn't mention that it was a theory either. He didn't say God would do it or when it would happen. Could be billion of years

Maybe he saw that people were born, lived for a bit, then died. Maybe he figured that earth worked the same way. It's not a big leap...
Lvl 4
Quote:
Originally posted by Althalus
Maybe he saw that people were born, lived for a bit, then died. Maybe he figured that earth worked the same way. It's not a big leap...

Yea the earth lives and breaths and dies. Just like us. Don't be silly
Quote:

Actually, I don't think he's too far off. Trees live and breathe and die...and if they all die the earth dies. Sure, the planet itself doesn't breathe but we're all part of an ecosystem...kill off too many branches off that system and the whole thing dies.
Lvl 28
Quote:

I never said anything breaths. I said that just like us, the planet we're on was born somehow, it currently lives, and will at some point die.
Lvl 4
But Jesus went on to say that everything in the Universe would die and that only his "Father" knew when that would be.. Strange how some are so quick to dismiss anything the Bible says but really soak up any scientific theories as golden facts. Scientific theories are always evolving and changing as they learn more. New technology can completely change a theory ie the Hubble Telescope for example. Could be that Demonic influence playing a role?
The Bible was brought into this discussion because it mentions Spirits and Demons a lot. Really not the Bibles fault that it has been interpreted and misinterpreted for personal gain. That is the Human flesh at it's worse. Just one reason God has left us to eventually destroy ourselves IMO
Yeah, the bible also said it was a sin:

- to eat lobster, crab, or eel.
- to wear more than one type of material at one time.
- for a woman to menstruate, and that it is un-clean
- to eat rabbits and pigs
- to have short hair
- to shave your beard
- to get a tattoo
- to plant two different crops in a single field
- to drink wine in church
- to work on a Sunday
Lvl 28
Quote:
Really not the Bibles fault that it has been interpreted and misinterpreted for personal gain.

It's funny that you happen to mention that... While quoting the Bible all the time...
F1098 finds this awesome.
Lvl 4
Quote:
Originally posted by Althalus
It's funny that you happen to mention that... While quoting the Bible all the time...

Yes I am waiting on my Bible quoting WBW check
  • Goto: