Score: 5.00 Votes: 1
rate this

Why are america engines high on C.C and low on BHP

Starter: Bigdaddydiesel Posted: 18 years ago Views: 5.3K
  • Goto:
Lvl 32
http://www.tuningtracker.com/sl65power.htm

Example the new Mustang with a 4 Ltr V6 puts out 210 bhp and my Seat Cupra puts out 225BHP with a 1.8 engine, if you gave 4000cc to a Jap tuner he'd get 1000bhp!
* This post has been modified : 18 years ago
Lvl 18
It usually comes down to economics. Most american cars are naturally aspirated. usually you can run these engines on regular gas (87 octane) and use regular oil as oppose to synthetics. less maitenaince as well. Of course the major thing is probably cost of production.
Lvl 18
Your Seat Cupra more than likely has the audi A4 1.8L Turbo engine in it.You are supposed to put High octane fuel in it and use sythetic oil changing every 5k miles.

(I would never be able to let my engine go over 3k miles without changing the oil! )
Lvl 32
oil change every 10,000 and it depends on how I'm feeling if it gets 97oct or not. In France they have 98oct. and it made no real difference if your cars got loads of power it's just how long the fuel lasts.
Lvl 18
High Octane over here is 92,93 & 94. unless you get some cam 2 fuel .. i think that is like 105 octane.

I really hope you mean 10,000 km.
Lvl 32
Quote:
Originally posted by bachiotomy

High Octane over here is 92,93 & 94. unless you get some cam 2 fuel .. i think that is like 105 octane.

I really hope you mean 10,000 km.

No 10,000 miles. I've only got 6,000 on the clock and I check the oil regular and it's still like gold. I've also got an MG and that's only got to be done every 15,000 but I did it on 10,000 (both brand new cars)
Lvl 25
yeah, what you both said
Lvl 12
well because people dont realize how detuned american cars are...such as the pre 1987 5.0 mustangs, junk cars because they were so restricted....domestics are restricted for many reasons such as milage, and durability

ur referring to the v6 mustang = not a sports car...the 5.4 3v GT on the other hand...would spank your cupra
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigdaddydiesel

oil change every 10,000 and it depends on how I'm feeling if it gets 97oct or not. In France they have 98oct. and it made no real difference if your cars got loads of power it's just how long the fuel lasts.

higher octane is for high comp motors, not for putting into any car whenever u feel like it...ull toast the motor
Lvl 13
+ nothing beats the sound of american muscle. (nice new avatar bachiotomy)
Quote:
Originally posted by GoatMan

well because people dont realize how detuned american cars are...such as the pre 1987 5.0 mustangs, junk cars because they were so restricted....domestics are restricted for many reasons such as milage, and durability

ur referring to the v6 mustang = not a sports car...the 5.4 3v GT on the other hand...would spank your cupra

maybe in a straight but if you put the both on a track the supra would win.

the engineering in american car is antiquated. the use ancient engine technology, ancient suspension technology, they just don't want to spend the money.
Lvl 11
Quote:
Originally posted by ICHItheKILLER

[reply=GoatMan]

the engineering in american car is antiquated. the use ancient engine technology, ancient suspension technology, they just don't want to spend the money.
[/reply]

Not Supra, Supra is Japanese, RWD with about 300bhp. Cupra is FWD, with 225bhp. A freind of mine has a Cupra Leon R and yea, its pretty damn quick it must be said.
Lvl 12
I wouldn't even know where you could get 97 octane here...

Regular is 89, then 91 & 93, except for Sunoco 94 / Pioneer Magnum 94

Anyway...

I would guess that since fuel is so much cheaper here than in europe, it's been general laziness that makes the engines have low specific horsepower (power/displacement). It's easier to just up the displacement to get more power than to spend money on precision balanced and engineered parts, turbos etc. Fuel was cheap so no-one cares.

Now though, fuel has gone way up in Canada over the last six months or so... Nothing like European prices, but still a lot more than the Americans pay.
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by ICHItheKILLER

[reply=GoatMan]

[/reply]

riiiight...god i love kids!
Lvl 12
And as for a 5.4 mustang spanking a 1.8 Cupra, I certainly hope so... That was the whole point of this thread... The mustang engine is 3x the size and it's probably not that much faster which is kind of embarrasing...

Incidently, I drive an explorer with a 4.6 SOHC V8 making a lousy 245 hp. A 3.5 V6 from Honda or Nissan both make more power.

Looking forward to a cheaper car when this lease is up...
Lvl 12
back in the sixties u could buy a brand new 426 hemi pushing almost 500hp (yes 500, youll always see them stated as 425 because they were -suppose- to only have so much hp to weight ratio..but didnt)....why? because no1 cared about gas prices, it wasnt a concern....but nowadays everything is restricted to its actual power

and for someone dumb enough to say american cars are 'antiquated' should be shot for ignorance, who has always ruled the 1/4 and will never be beaten on that strip? whos been making one type of car for over 40 years that has been dominating around a track and on a drag strip?, yea okay most domestics arnt the best handling because most of the muscle cars are heavy as hell compared to some import that could be driven over with a ram and are pathetically referred to as tuners....
Quote:
Originally posted by GoatMan

[reply=ICHItheKILLER]
[reply=GoatMan]

[/reply]

riiiight...god i love kids!
[/reply]

then perhaps you're better off driving a mpv then.
Lvl 10
hatin' won't make your car faster
Lvl 14
The U.S cars are fast on the strip... I´ll give em that... but stock cars that put out ~250hp on 5litre.. thats rediculous... Honda´s S2000 engine makes 240hp on 2liters! without supercharging.... now that is something cool...
Lvl 12
So I drive a big displacement gas guzzler so I should be biased... but seriously, engine design has come a long way since the sixties, or at least it should have... The big deal about 1 hp / cubic inch displacement is really old news now... I mean, the 2.0 litre 4 cyl. in a Honda S2000 five years ago made 240 hp... forget 1 hp/ cubic inch... This car makes 2 hp per cubic inch. If that 426 hemi was as efficient today, it would make 838 hp.

The new Z06 Corvette makes 505 hp out of 7 litres. That's only 72 hp/ litre, a long way from the 120 hp / litre in the Honda.

The Dodge Viper makes 510 hp out of 8.3 litres. Only 61 hp/litre. We're talking cheap passenger car efficiency here...
  • Goto: