Lvl 17
cause thats how WE role.
* This post has been modified : 18 years ago
Lvl 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Black-light

[reply=GoatMan]
[reply=Ivan-the-SoSo]
The Mazda rotory almost bankrupted Mazda...thats why its mostly owned by Ford....want the real reason for the low HP#...lawyers, build a hot car...some fool kills himself or others...SUE...go for the deep pockets

thats why there still producing them eh?
lots of companies own other companies...
for example: GM owns 20% of ferrari, but does that mean ferrari cars designs are by GM or helped by GM? no...it means they share profits and shit like that
[/reply]

you know Mazda had to go and rework the engine and how long did it take to make it a good engine? was a while between rotary's.

and GM does not own Farrari,

GM owned Fiat who did in turn own Farrari, but GM let go of Fiat this year and has no part of it anymore. Anything that Ferrari did GM had nothing do do with.
[/reply]

Uh, when did they stop making them?

The RX-7 RS sold up until 2002, the RX-8 then sold in 2003. Where is this gap you speak of? They stopped selling in the states because Mazda didn't want to waste money throwing in ODB-II, which was mandated for '96 production years, but guess what, they STILL kept making them.

Ford and Mazda originally teamed up in '69 to make automatic transmissions, ten years later Ford then bought a 25% stake in Mazda, NOT because they were 'going bankrupt', but rather because it dropped cost of production as well as R&D.
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Black-light

[reply=GoatMan]
[reply=Ivan-the-SoSo]
The Mazda rotory almost bankrupted Mazda...thats why its mostly owned by Ford....want the real reason for the low HP#...lawyers, build a hot car...some fool kills himself or others...SUE...go for the deep pockets

thats why there still producing them eh?
lots of companies own other companies...
for example: GM owns 20% of ferrari, but does that mean ferrari cars designs are by GM or helped by GM? no...it means they share profits and shit like that
[/reply]

you know Mazda had to go and rework the engine and how long did it take to make it a good engine? was a while between rotary's.

and GM does not own Farrari,

GM owned Fiat who did in turn own Farrari, but GM let go of Fiat this year and has no part of it anymore. Anything that Ferrari did GM had nothing do do with.
[/reply]

thx for resaying what i just said...
Lvl 11
Just like Ford has nothing to do with the rotary division of Mazda. One of the reasons the RX was pulled from the states is emissions, peripheral port exhaust is BAD for emissions, there's no scaveging effect of the unburnt fuel/etc, (which is why if you ever see a rotary with straight exhaust, almost ALL of them will shoot 3' flames in the upper RPM band). As for the redesign, the only RX7's to be plagued with reliability issues was the 3rd gen, which suffered from an overly complex twin turbo system, and poorly routed vacuum lines. Obviously, excessive heat and rubber lines doesn't mix, they would crack/melt/etc, which would eventually cause the turbos to not spool properly (either over-spooling, or the MAP sensor line would break), regardless, this coupled with owners who didn't pay a whole lot of attention resulted in a lot of dead engines. They also had the plastic AST which would crack spewing coolant all over the place.

Back to the topic, one of the reasons for the higher displacement, let lower output, is that they already have all of this technology and equipment, why not use the same engine, run mild compression with conservative cams, run high velocity intakes, and the result is good torque, yet low peak HP, which makes the car have a nice flat usable powerband, get decent mileage, and still remains exceptionally easy to work on and get a part for. Now, moving into their newer engines, with their variable valve timing, and variable cylinder firing, they've got the chance to move back into higher flowing intakes, more aggressive cams/etc, because they can rely on other means of getting the mileage.

Of course, that's a rough explination.
Lvl 12
finally someone who isnt a complete moron...
Lvl 12
ok, we'are not talking about race cars....we're talking about everyday cars. The car that takes you to home, work, party, etc. Why will you drive an american car with huge motors if you are stuck in the traffic and you can't drive faster than 100km/h because there's a cop ready to give you a ticket??
European Cars and Jap Cars are fast, nice, loaded with more technology than american cars.
So, if you live in a country in where gas price is U$1,5/liter, wich kind of car would you prefer to drive? A big american car that spend a liter every 5km or a European or Jap Car that spend a liter every 20 km???
Lvl 11
Quote:
Originally posted by dest

ok, we'are not talking about race cars....we're talking about everyday cars. The car that takes you to home, work, party, etc. Why will you drive an american car with huge motors if you are stuck in the traffic and you can't drive faster than 100km/h because there's a cop ready to give you a ticket??
European Cars and Jap Cars are fast, nice, loaded with more technology than american cars.
So, if you live in a country in where gas price is U$1,5/liter, wich kind of car would you prefer to drive? A big american car that spend a liter every 5km or a European or Jap Car that spend a liter every 20 km???

Most american cars now (that are designed for economy), can get pretty close to the same as most equal imports, the few exceptions being the hybrids.
Lvl 12
the jap cars by no means have more technology then domestics, most people dont realize there are MANY domsetic DOHC's
Lvl 10
^DAMN HATER!!!
Lvl 12
thx for ressurecting this thread
Lvl 10
hating won't make your car faster
Lvl 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Psyburn

Truthfully, american cars/engines are really based less on horsepower and more on torque. Horsepower is nothing more than a mathmatical calculation that gives additional (and often pointless) information that helps make car brochures look better and car journalists something more to write about. Torque is the real target. Torque is the real benchmark for a car's/engine's power. Big engines produce large amounts of torque. Those little japanese engines, turbo'ed or not, may produce "high" horsepower, but their torque numbers are rediculously small. The reason for their decent performance numbers is because they are very light weight. But, how many of those light weight japanese sports cars can survive a real life auto accident. I can say that the 2 american cars I had kept me alive and took me back home. That's my 2 cents. THanks.

YES! Perfectly said. Everyone goes crazy over horsepower when it really isn't anything. Horsepower doesn't throw you back into your seat when you floor it. Torque does. And yes, I LOOOOVE my gas drinking v8. I love having over 300tq bone stock, and it's not stock anymore..... I've been in both the import and american scene. I can honestly say, I love having the displacment. Anywhere in the rpms I can give it gas without the need to downshift like in an import to get some power. 5th is actually usable lol. You also gatta love being able to swap out a different gear and pinion for where you like your power to be at. Gears are a torque multiplier. Have fun ripping the imports trans apart to do the same effect.

I didn't get the car to get good mpg. I got it to go when I want to go. And you can NOT beat the sound of a v8 with headers and a full exhaust at wot or just going lightly.
Lvl 12
I have 2 agree with acid...torque is the key... but then again, diesel engines have much more torque than petrol ones, but untill a couple of years ago and comon rail engines, u couldnt use that torque no matter what! Nowdays, diesel engines gives u much better performance then petrol ones, with less gas to spend...only catch is that u have to check on the engine and repair it more often than the petrol ones
still, i belive that German cars r the best - especially Mercedes. I have one, and i had a terrible crash with previous one few months ago, slided, spinned and thmbeled a bit, and came out without a scratch, without seatbelt or airbags... so i would say, cars r classified not by country, hp or rpm, but on mercedes, and others
  • Goto: