Score: 4.50 Votes: 8
rate this

No Spam In The Champagne Room - AKA Davey made me do it.

Starter: [Deleted] Posted: 10 years ago Views: 21.8K
  • Goto:
Lvl 24
Quote:
Originally posted by F1098
I've always had a great time in Quebec. It's probably no more nutty than the successionist movements now in Scotland and Wales....or in Barcelona. But maybe that's why I like it. And will go back if I can.

Anyway, those Penguins speak French, no ?

Man, I just lost a little bit of respect for you.
Lvl 8
I've heard Montreal is one of the more fun cities in north America. Also, I know penguins live in the south pole but the weather in Canada is suitable for them.

Yeah. Canadian bacon is tasty but here in 'merica we call it ham.
Lvl 19
Just a little bit ??? Geez, don't be shy Bangles !

Quote:
Originally posted by Bangledesh

Man, I just lost a little bit of respect for you.
Lvl 27
I like maple sausage, is that Canadian?
Lvl 24
Quote:
Originally posted by DEMO
I like maple sausage, is that Canadian?

Of course you'd want to chow down on some sausage.
Lvl 25
The tonal shift in episode 4 to 5 was slightly jarring. Still a good show, but it isn't grabbing me hard.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanzen
isn't grabbing me hard.

Thats what she said.
jenngurl23 finds this awesome.
Lvl 25
I don't get it.

> that's what sp said, dejectedly.
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanzen
The tonal shift in episode 4 to 5 was slightly jarring. Still a good show, but it isn't grabbing me hard.

Yeah, that was a little out of left field. Still, going to catch tonight's episode to see how that all went.
Lvl 25
Well I figured the show was going to be a slow burner, but then they took the show in a different direction out of nowhere and with no build-up.

I think Rust's confrontation at the shop with the two guys on the way to the hill-billy hostel, was the first attempt to show he had unconventional methods. But it was out of nowhere, there was nothing leading up to his violent method of information gathering. They could of hinted at it subtly with little mannerisms building up to it. That would of been more effective.

Next thing we know suddenly Marty is acting out, executing the one suspect with no build-up. Also, I'm pretty sure a gunshot at point-blank is going to have a lot of forensic markers to disprove their testimony. I may have to go back and rewatch Rust's recounting on that part.

I will say, as a fan of Robert Chamber's work The King In Yellow, I am liking the little easter eggs and then the direct references.
Lvl 59
Yeah, like I said, I agree that the show took a distinct change in tone from Ep 4. to Ep 5, which was strange for a show that is otherwise well put together.

I also don't really like "build-up" episodes, which is what Ep. 6 was. I know they're often a necessary tool in building a series, I just hate that I waited a week to be pushed into an hour long preview of the next couple episodes.
Lvl 25
I'm talking about a long term build up, like say Rust showing distinct signs of a violent behavior that he is suppressing. It could be even indirect things, like background props or something to show he had a capacity for malicious behavior. The thing is, they could of done it effortlessly and given him a larger depth of character. Instead they pushed that he was "weird" with his hobbies and his home decoration. They could of snuck a book or two about self control and anger management in there, and had some background prop damaged in some fashion.

The setup could of been: Rust was a non-observant but when his child died and his marriage was breaking up he had bouts of violence. To temper it, he started studying self control, anger management, which he would of applied during his narc days. Then after he cleaned up from those years he would switch into philosophy, and then into atheism. Then he is a layered character background that is vague enough, but with some references can be implied. That way they can set up his lore any way they want around that. Then you have a layered character.

What we got was a quick view of his apartment, stacks of books of assorted criminology and a spartan room. Then we get him standing, staring into a tiny mirror as one form of meditation (along with the cross above his bed), then the next thing we know he is breaking a POI down, and then he is physically assaulting two guys and then helps cover a murder up. He is hard to connect to because we have no anchors with Rust.

Marty is handled the same, but with a different character arc.

On the flipside, I am happy that the serial killer has been pretty much obscured during everything so far. I hate that cliche trope of a killer who leaves mocking clues. But then again, almost all the people they talk to always have relevant information which is a tad tired.
Hey!!! Spoiler alerts.

Jerkfaces.
jenngurl23 finds this awesome.
Lvl 19
It's official- the Lounge is on vacation for the next two weaks.
Lvl 8
*crickets*
Lvl 27
I bought a bench...
Lvl 19
More crickets.
Lvl 27
Under the bench
Lvl 29
Burn the bench..
Lvl 59
Then where will we sit?