Score: 3.67 Votes: 6
rate this

Is Rap Music To Blame?

Starter: JonM Posted: 17 years ago Views: 4.4K
  • Goto:
Lvl 12
Now before you go on labeling me as racist, go fuck yourself and then read the thread properly.

Is rap music ( and associated music genres, eg grime etc etc ) to blame in the rise of crime, violent and or non violent?

Was the world a safer place before rappers started saying they were gonna kill this, shoot that, and generally try to act hard.

Everyone knows that kids (and adults) are incrediably influeneced by these "artists" and look up to them as role models.
These surely are not the kind of role models we should be looking up to?

I own plenty of "rap" music, but it is nowhere near my favourite genre, and i am certainly no "Wigga" wannabe gangster! I dont even own a pair of "Baggies"
And im not influenced by what they say, and to be honest i couldnt tell you who any of the current popular artists are, but i see all these videos on tv, and then i see the kids wearing the same clothes, talking & walking in the same stupid way, and unfortuneately on the news i see the same kids causing shit and making the towns cities ect worse places to be!

So is rap music to blame, or was it an underlying problem before these influential and frankly now boring (they all say the same shit, and start to sound the same) artists appeared?
* This post has been modified : 17 years ago
Lvl 29
All I can blame rap for is the stupid "wigger" fad. Which is pretty much dead anyway.
Lvl 7
It's not raps fault but let's blame it anyway!
Lvl 19
Those stupid fucking grandma's need something to blame. If it isn't video games, it's music.

I call bullshit.
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowdemon

All I can blame rap for is the stupid "wigger" fad. Which is pretty much dead anyway.

No it isnt!
Every Person who is into rap, talks like they should be black, walks like they wish they had a big black cock, and dresses like they are black, so Wigga is here with us unfortunately!
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Ascaris

Those stupid fucking grandma's need something to blame. If it isn't video games, it's music.

I call bullshit.

Right then explain why every kid pulls a gun in america rather than having a fist fight?
Why has the crime rate risen in the u.k, along with the increase of Grime music?
Lvl 29
Well, I don't personally see as much of it as I used to. Which is a good thing. That shit makes me nuts. Fucking hate it.
Lvl 29
I don't believe every kid in America does that. But American society has been becoming increasingly violent for a long time. I really don't think music of any kind has a lot to do with it.
Lvl 19
Quote:
Originally posted by JonM

[reply=Ascaris]

I call bullshit.

Right then explain why every kid pulls a gun in america rather than having a fist fight?
Why has the crime rate risen in the u.k, along with the increase of Grime music?
[/reply]

THAT'S FUCKING USA! We don't have those problems in Finland, we use lots of movies, music and video games. We don't run around with guns.

So there's something wrong in the USA.
Lvl 12
Quote:

I don't believe every kid in America does that. But American society has been becoming increasingly violent for a long time. I really don't think music of any kind has a lot to do with it.

It has a lot to imo, but it isnt all of the reason, video games, internet, telly, all can be blamed.
But my original question poses an interesting point?
Lvl 12
Quote:

The very website you are promoting in your sig proves my point!!!!
http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?s=b9a95189742864c7aa2dd48398e4dc15&showtopic=24865
Inherantly a influencing figure to many kids, great influence eh?
Lvl 29
Anyone old enough to remember "bussing"? Some politician in the early-mid 70's though it would be a good idea to bus kids from the all white schools to the all black schools, and the other way around too. Sort of a forced integration. I believe the whole "wigger" thing, and all the bullshit that went with it, has it's roots right there. And that was long before rap existed.
Lvl 12
Quote:

Anyone old enough to remember "bussing"? Some politician in the early-mid 70's though it would be a good idea to bus kids from the all white schools to the all black schools, and the other way around too. Sort of a forced integration. I believe the whole "wigger" thing, and all the bullshit that went with it, has it's roots right there. And that was long before rap existed.

yeah, but that was in one country (one state too probably) and most kids now wouldnt even know about that let alone remember it, so explain that!
Lvl 7
I agree with JonM, it's still very much with us in the UK. It annoys me too.

I think one of the main reasons for it is that in the UK, there's so much stupid political correctness that British kids have been robbed of any kind of culture to be proud of - regardless of their colour. So, the kids have latched onto the most obvious thing they can. In this case, rap culture. It's portrayed as glamourous and to a certain extent, kids who are perhaps slightly vulnerable hide behind the 'hoodie' or 'gangsta' image to eitherfit in or as a defence mechanism - a sort of 'If I look, talk and behave like this, no one will pick on me' attitude.

To the over 20's though, they just look and sound ridiculous - pretending to be what they're obviously not. For instance, a couple of days ago at the station, I saw two white kids, probably around 17 years old, one said to the other something like 'that's so right nigga' *lol* Then as I was passing, one said, 'Hey blondie, you gonna be my bitch' - I just told him to f**k off and carried on.

So in that respect, yes, perhaps rap music is to blame for certain aspects of younger people's behaviour, but the root of it is disenfranchisement, loss of a cultural identity, lack of good role models and a general malaise in society.

Saying that, I'd be quite happy never to hear a rap or 'Modern' R&B track ever again - give me the old style R'n'B any day.
Lvl 11
What about the way rap describes women? Hoes,[blacklisted]s,etc. I have a neice who is 17,she's been into rap since she was 13. Since that time she has had 2 STDs and has been pregnat with twins,which she aborted,she thinks this is perfectly normal. Her mother has heard this so called music, and says the old"all the kids are listening to it" Luckily my neice joined the Army, I think they will staightin her out. I don't think it's a black and white thing. Parents should be involved in what their kids are listening to.
Stupidity is to blame.
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by BiBiBaby

I agree with JonM, it's still very much with us in the UK. It annoys me too.

I think one of the main reasons for it is that in the UK, there's so much stupid political correctness that British kids have been robbed of any kind of culture to be proud of - regardless of their colour. So, the kids have latched onto the most obvious thing they can. In this case, rap culture. It's portrayed as glamourous and to a certain extent, kids who are perhaps slightly vulnerable hide behind the 'hoodie' or 'gangsta' image to eitherfit in or as a defence mechanism - a sort of 'If I look, talk and behave like this, no one will pick on me' attitude.

To the over 20's though, they just look and sound ridiculous - pretending to be what they're obviously not. For instance, a couple of days ago at the station, I saw two white kids, probably around 17 years old, one said to the other something like 'that's so right nigga' *lol* Then as I was passing, one said, 'Hey blondie, you gonna be my bitch' - I just told him to f**k off and carried on.

So in that respect, yes, perhaps rap music is to blame for certain aspects of younger people's behaviour, but the root of it is disenfranchisement, loss of a cultural identity, lack of good role models and a general malaise in society.

Saying that, I'd be quite happy never to hear a rap or 'Modern' R&B track ever again - give me the old style R'n'B any day.

Agreed. ( good, educated and correct post, thanks for your input!)
Lvl 9
Well before rap, we had 2 World Wars, mass genocide millions of people slaughtered...........is rap to blame probably not
Lvl 29
Quote:
yeah, but that was in one country (one state too probably) and most kids now wouldnt even know about that let alone remember it, so explain that!

Actually, it was nationwide. And it just began there. It grew with each passing generation. For instance, I love rock music, and I'm not old enough to remember it's roots.
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by jamiewm3

Well before rap, we had 2 World Wars, mass genocide millions of people slaughtered...........is rap to blame probably not

No, misguided guvornments, and the the world (well our country) was a nice place to live, adults were respected, and Police had control of the country, intstead of nowadays being so disrespected by the Youth!
  • Goto: