rate this

Is Rap Music To Blame?

Starter: JonM Posted: 17 years ago Views: 4.4K
  • Goto:
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowdemon

Quote:
yeah, but that was in one country (one state too probably) and most kids now wouldnt even know about that let alone remember it, so explain that!

Actually, it was nationwide. And it just began there. It grew with each passing generation. For instance, I love rock music, and I'm not old enough to remember it's roots.

And yes, rock music was to blame for many things like drug usage, permisicuity etc etc, but it doesnt seem to be associated to the problems that rap music brings with it today, im not saying that it doesnt create the same problems, its just not as mainstream and in your face as the Rap culture problems, maybe the rock culture keeps its self to its self, without the need to show off about having guns etc and taking lethal weapons into airports etc!
* This post has been modified : 17 years ago
Lvl 7
Yes there were world wars, etc. but you can go back to the crusades to see genocide, all the social honour killings in ancient Japan and all that, but people having respect for each other in everyday life? That seems non-existent now.

I do think that popular culture is to blame.
Lvl 16
Quote:
Originally posted by JonM

[reply=jamiewm3]
Well before rap, we had 2 World Wars, mass genocide millions of people slaughtered...........is rap to blame probably not

No, misguided guvornments, and the the world (well our country) was a nice place to live, adults were respected, and Police had control of the country, intstead of nowadays being so disrespected by the Youth!
[/reply]

But that isn't raps fault directly. That is the fault of the government that has refused to do its duty in regards to criminals for too long. When kids who do violent acts get less time than kids who sell drugs and are accused of no violence, you are going to see an increase in violence. The US has the same problem. The police force has become a way to make money through fines and fees instead of actually attempting to do something about crime.
Lvl 13
bullshit!!! Piss poor journalism and scapegoating alongside piss poor politics is whats to blame!!!
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by rocknthefreewor

[reply=JonM]
[reply=jamiewm3]
Well before rap, we had 2 World Wars, mass genocide millions of people slaughtered...........is rap to blame probably not

No, misguided guvornments, and the the world (well our country) was a nice place to live, adults were respected, and Police had control of the country, intstead of nowadays being so disrespected by the Youth!
[/reply]

The police force has become a way to make money through fines and fees instead of actually attempting to do something about crime.
[/reply]

Why does that sound so familiar!
if you drive, you are a criminal, if you take drugs, be antisocial, and generally cause shit, you are in effect praised! ( because they can only make money from the drivers, not the scum! )
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisbex

bullshit!!! Piss poor journalism and scapegoating alongside piss poor politics is whats to blame!!!

Explain more please?
Lvl 13
does it even need explaining...your in the uk so you know the poor journolism of the tabloid press, instaed of blaming and looking into root causes, we will look at the end product instead. Hip Hop is the product of opperession and struggling ... its a narated story of life today around the world. What about all the Good that Hip Hop does? Why not mention that!?
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisbex

does it even need explaining...your in the uk so you know the poor journolism of the tabloid press, instaed of blaming and looking into root causes, we will look at the end product instead. Hip Hop is the product of opperession and struggling ... its a narated story of life today around the world. What about all the Good that Hip Hop does? Why not mention that!?

True, there is good created by rap, but it is far outshadowed by all the bad, and as long as there is press, and news any bad things that happen will ALWAYS overshadow any good news.
Thats just the way the news is, how many times have you seen the news and its main headlines were, "All is well, and good and nothing bad has happened in the world!" Never, that is the nature of the news, and unfortunately until "hoodies" stop being antisocial and commiting crimes (all related to youth culture - rap music being a major part of youth culture) those are the only headlines that you will see!
Lvl 29
Quote:

And yes, rock music was to blame for many things like drug usage, permisicuity etc etc,

And that's bullshit too. It seems that each generation blames the problems of it's youth on the music it likes.
Lvl 19
Quote:
Originally posted by JonM

[reply=walrusss]
rap just sucks

Thanks. Intelligent and usefull post.
[/reply]

Do you know, that there are LOTS of rap and hip hop which doesn't tell people to murder, rape, buy fast cars and bling bling? Intelligent rap does exist. Music where people tell people about their own lives and such.
Lvl 16
We all look at it in one way. We see that as rap music increases, violence increases, thereby leading us to assume that rap creates violence. Another way to look at it is that as violence increases, rap music increases, assuming that rap is a response to that violence. But we also haven't looked to see if there is a third variable that causes the other two to increase. Most root cause analysis used today by the media, government, and the public is sorely lacking.

This is much like saying that neighborhood X has a high violence rate and is visibly populated exclusively by group Y, therefore group Y has a high propensity for violence no matter where they live. Correlations can not be made in such a way. The fact may exist that neighborhood X is not patrolled by law enforcement as much and has been left to its own devices so much that any group living there would see abnormal levels of violence.
Lvl 23
No.
Lvl 19
What about those cases, when youngsters burned many churches down and murdered people because some rites in scandinavia? Media blamed Black Metal which happened to be their favourite music, but the main reasons were deep inside their family life and those cults they were part of. Those people really hated god, jesus and other things related to religion, I don't believe in god, I sometimes listen Black metal and different kind of metal bands, but I have never murdered anyone because of that.

You can't blame music for your own stupidity.
Well Black Metal doesn't influence the youngsters I say, but it is fault in many "crimes".
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Ascaris

[reply=JonM]
[reply=walrusss]
rap just sucks

Thanks. Intelligent and usefull post.
[/reply]

Do you know, that there are LOTS of rap and hip hop which doesn't tell people to murder, rape, buy fast cars and bling bling? Intelligent rap does exist. Music where people tell people about their own lives and such.
[/reply]

Yep, im a massive fan of Ugly Duckling, no killing lyrics in that.
Lvl 12
Different cultures create different media press, the buzz cultures at the moment in the UK is Rap, and emo rock etc.
Emo doesnt get anywhere near the bad press and attention compared to rap, and as i said before, as long as that subculture is creating problems, the press will be there to report it, if it was the other way round and the Emo culture was causing issus, then they would be the headlines, and i would have posted is emo to blame?!
Lvl 19
Quote:
Originally posted by Vorphraguptor

Well Black Metal doesn't influence the youngsters I say, but it is fault in many "crimes".

How can music be the criminal? Of course it is the influence, the music itself doesn't kill anyone. There are lots of weak people with weak minds, that is the key to everything.
Lvl 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Ascaris

[reply=Vorphraguptor]

There are lots of weak people with weak minds, that is the key to everything.
[/reply]

Thats very true!
Lvl 14
the stuff you see on tv currently doesnt represent rap. thats complete bullshit to make lots of money. check out artists like gangstarr, grandmaster flash, jeru the damaja, q-tip etc., those people have something to say. sure, many of the hiphop artists grew up in fucked up neighbourhoods, they went through crime, violence and shit. its logical that they rap about it. but theres a difference between rapping about those issues and gloryfying them. check out nas' "one love", there you have it. he just tells how life in the ghetto is.
and artists like outkast and snoop dogg dont take themselves too serious when they come out with a gangster/pimp style. i mean, snoop dogg is happily married with children, he sure is no pimp... those fuckheads you see on tv right now are just plain stupid, but it works. kids buy it...
if you ask me, its not rap's fault (as it cant be blamed to videogames, movies blabla etc) that violence is rising. its the result of the way our society runs. kids have no rules and structures in their lifes, cuz parents cant handle their role. so the kids take the rolemodels they find on tv. just saying "rap is to blame" is bullshit. we are not living in the 1950's anymore...
Lvl 19
I fucking hate "my rims are 24 inch and my ho's are more expensive than yours, I have so much blingbling and money" rap shit.
  • Goto: