Score: 3.50 Votes: 10
rate this

WTF!! Really America?!?!

Starter: RumDum Posted: 14 years ago Views: 7.1K
  • Goto:
Lvl 22
Ouch!
Lvl 19
hey, when I was a kid, we rode bikes without helmets, and we ate dirt.
thing is, I'll bet anything that most of those getting on Obama's case, those who want to intrude on every aspect of your life, voted for him!
Lvl 59
Well, this thread is all over the place.

Since I don't feel like getting rid of all that stuff up to now, and having everyone get all sad that I'm censoring them and whatnot, here's the deal; from this post forward, if you're not responding to RumDum's question about the bike helmet, your post will go away.

If you want to talk about Obama being black, or his birth certificate, or the patriot act, make a thread about it. God knows there's enough material for numerous and lengthy threads there.
* This post has been modified : 14 years ago
Lvl 16
Thanks EL.

The last thing I wanted was a black/worthless/love/hate/genius/savior bunch of rants and pooh flinging.

It was a simple annoyance of mine about the way this country has been heading and is still heading about the way people want to control us. Even though they did the same thing when they were little or they still do it now when they are not in front of the media on their soap boxes.

That's why I haven't been back in here.

I'm almost done packing and I bought the house down the street from Honda for this matter. If I see him with a fucking helmet on, I will chuck a 9 ball at him.
Lvl 15
Now that some semblance of sanity has been imposed on this thread, perhaps it's safe to comment.

First, that post by RD way back before the thread went haywire was great. I so wish my kids could grow up the way I did, but I'd probably be locked up for child abuse these days. Of course, I do still bear the scars of that childhood - I wore a mustache from the time I could grow one until I was about 30 to cover the scar on my upper lip from sliding down the road on my face after launching over my bike's handlebars as a kid (not sure a helmet would have made a difference, though). OTOH, my own son was spared potentially serious injury by having a helmet on when he fell off his bike and his sister ran over his head with her bike (don't ask, just ... don't ask), so clearly they do have some value.

On to the subject of the POTUS and whether he should get flak for not wearing a helmet - NO, he shouldn't, at least not from the press. My kids give me flak if I ride a bike without a helmet, given that I make them wear them, and I think that's reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama's kids, and/or wife, gave him flak for it too, and that's their right. But it's not our right - he's a grownup, husband and father, not to mention president, and as such he'd better be able to make those decisions himself and accept the consequences of his decision.

Now, as to whether he should have worn a helmet, IMO he should have because he was with kids. He is, after all, the president, so he knows there will be pictures published of anything he does outside of a locked, windowless room, and I think he'd set a better example for kids seeing the picture(s) if he had a helmet on (not to mention the fact that riding a bike in close proximity to kids is dangerous). I recognize that there's a flip side to the argument, that he's demonstrating freedom of choice, but I don't consider that as compelling as the example for kids - others will weight the arguments differently than I, and they're entitled to, this is only my opinion.

If he and his wife chose to go for a bike ride by themselves without helmets I don't think the pictures would have the same effect - kids know the grownups do things they're not allowed to do, but they also expect them to follow the more restrictive rules when the kids are around (think about swearing, for instance).

So, I personally think that he should have, but I also think that the fact that he didn't is entirely un-newsworthy and I really don't care about it. Of course, there is yet another angle, which is that the news organizations want to maintain a steady stream of stories (another topic altogether), and we should all be grateful that things aren't bad enough for nobody to pay attention to whether and when the president wears a bike helmet.
Lvl 21
Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowdemon

To All The Survivors of the 50's, 60's & 70's!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or
drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can,
and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or
cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air
bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a
special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and
NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and
then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve
the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video
games at all, no 99 channels on cable, dvd movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no
Internet or Internet chat rooms...WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there
were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did
not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would
happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was
unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers,
problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have
been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we
learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL.

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will
know how brave their parents were. Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
you are absolutely correct sir (I'm guessing we are about the same age) that describes my childhood exactly and I made to 54 until dumb shit started to happen.
With every improvement modern life has brought, there are a hundred disadvantages
Lvl 18
Quote:
Originally posted by EricLindros

If you want to talk about Obama being black, or his birth certificate, or the patriot act, make a thread about it. God knows there's enough material for numerous and lengthy threads there.

This isn't about bike helmets, but I get a raging boner everytime EL man's up and takes charge. Is that gay???
Quote:
Originally posted by BLU69

Why do we need the government to dictate how we live or what we wear.

Because a lot of people are too stupid to protect there own kids from harms way. You can thank the Doctors in the e.r. rooms for pushing that one through, they see kids busted heads every day. As far as the no helmet law goes- it took lobbyists & special interest groups to get that enacted. Maybe if people are so pissed off about wearing a seat belt in a car, they should follow suite. Just remember that not everyone who goes into the e.r. can pay, which costs counties, states & eventually the government money - YOUR TAX DOLLARS - YOU WALLET.
Lvl 16
Guys, I'll be honest with you.

I have never worn a helmet on a train or in a plain!

Im not even sure they would let me on a plain with a helmet on unless I had a note from my mommy. Soo, maybe we need Mommie's to finish this thread with there feelings of helmets for there big strong husbands.

Wait a friggin pussy ass minute, we are What Boys Want, not what panzies want. I don't want someone telling me to wear a lid. The rest just falls into place.

Stop adding more agenda here than was meant. I DID NOT want a GOP debate.

Basically, are you man enough to stand up to your family and country,,err,,media to tell them "Im a grown up, please let me buy ice cream with out a helmet so I don't get an Ice cream head ache.."
Quote:
Originally posted by RumDum

Guys, I'll be honest with you.

I have never worn a helmet on a train or in a plain!

Im not even sure they would let me on a plain with a helmet on unless I had a note from my mommy. Soo, maybe we need Mommie's to finish this thread with there feelings of helmets for there big strong husbands.

Wait a friggin pussy ass minute, we are What Boys Want, not what panzies want. I don't want someone telling me to wear a lid. The rest just falls into place.

Stop adding more agenda here than was meant. I DID NOT want a GOP debate.

Basically, are you man enough to stand up to your family and country,,err,,media to tell them "Im a grown up, please let me buy ice cream with out a helmet so I don't get an Ice cream head ache.."

WBW has spell check. It's plane not plain..... LMFAO
Lvl 16
Quote:
Originally posted by americanbulldog64

Point maid this tyme.

I had a smahl glich in muh spellingh.

Next time I will consort with Tequilla64 for my spelling conundrum..

Lvl 16
Quote:
Originally posted by EricLindros

Since I don't feel like getting rid of all that stuff up to now, and having everyone get all sad that I'm censoring them and whatnot, here's the deal; from this post forward, if you're not responding to RumDum's question about the bike helmet, your post will go away.

Oops...didn't see your post before I responded to a post that was not about bike helmets...my bad. Sorry about that.

Bike Helmet laws suck. it is a pretty sad statement that our government feels the need to constantly protect us all from ourselves.
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by hadenough

Oops...didn't see your post before I responded to a post that was not about bike helmets...my bad. Sorry about that.

Bike Helmet laws suck. it is a pretty sad statement that our government feels the need to constantly protect us all from ourselves.

That's ok, I took care of it.

Funny how Helmet debate can turn so political.
  • Goto: