Score: 4.29 Votes: 7
rate this

The Wordsmith Thread

Starter: EricLindros Posted: 13 years ago Views: 13.6K
  • Goto:
Lvl 59

So, this thread exists for all things literary.
Anything that has to do with literature, words, prose, books, etc, goes here.

Some examples:

If you find a quote you think is interesting, put it here!

If you come across a word that you really like, put it here! And tell us what it means!

If you write some beautiful poetry, or even not so beautiful poetry, put it here!

And so on.
* This post has been modified : 12 years ago
Lvl 59
I'll start:

Quote:
Originally posted by EL
powoers so great whhich they are able to make it ssnow ontotmoy computer.

now! Big dirrpy flakes, like big drippy tits. But in flakes. And cold. Nipples.
That was a truly remarkable piece of poetry...I cried, I laughed, I laughed some more, then I went to sleep.

I'll go next, I'm choosing to post a word from a book I'm reading...although the term book may be a stretch. When in school I prefer to read books that don't make me think too much, that's why I'm reading Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler. The word I'm choosing to post is KASLOPIS

Lvl 59
I'm goign to go with a few words for your next paper. You might want to mix them in.

Obfuscation - to hide and conceal something - typically surreptitiousness

Blatherskite - One who spews forth foolish gibberish
I quite enjoy Blatherskite. I'll have to remember that one.
Lvl 59
It is a good one.

Esophageoduodenodenoscopy - it's a test using a tuube with a camer that alllws them to see down bleowy your stomach. I jus tlike word because it's long., but if you can use it you get 5 bonuis poitns
Lvl 37
Quote:
Originally posted by EricLindros

I'm goign to go with a few words for your next paper. You might want to mix them in.

Obfuscation - to hide and conceal something - typically surreptitiousness

Blatherskite - One who spews forth foolish gibberish

I was employed by the federal government.
After reading some of the ridiculous memos written by professional blatherskites, I placed a sign on my door.

It read; Eschew Obfuscation.

Eschew - shun or avoid
Lvl 37
Yeah, I know it's a double post but I just wanted to say great idea for a thread.

Houghmagandy - (hok muh GAN dee) Houghmagandy is fornication. A word found mostly in Scotland, denoting a practice that knows no boundaries.
Lvl 59
Progeny - your direct descendants; ie. your children
Lvl 37
Since we have learned poets here, perhaps this word will be timely.

Prosody (PROS uh dee), The science or study of the metrical structure of poetry and verse form.

Hopefully there are no poetasters present.

Poetaster (POH it as tur), The label bestowed upon a second rate post, a writer of inferior verse.
Lvl 59
Here's a word I hate:

Booty.

Let me clarify. I don't mind it, and actually think it's a good word to use, if you're talking about treasure, or some ill-gotten gains of some sort.

But for god's sake, don't use it as a synonym for "Ass." You just end up sounding like a fuckface. Sort of like these two. Or this guy.
Lvl 37
You must really hate bootylicious.

A much preferred substitute for our babe gallery posters:

callipygian (kal uh PIJ ee un) , callipygous ( kal uh pye gus) Both forms of this adjective describe a person endowed with beautiful, shapely buttocks..
* This post has been modified : 13 years ago
Malingerer - someone shirking their duty by feigning illness or incapacity
Lvl 27
This is sacred to Memory: when you are about to die, you will find yourself at the House of Hades; on the right there is a spring, by which stands a white cypress. Descending there, the souls of the dead seek refreshment. Do not even approach this spring; beyond you will find from the Pool of Memory cool water flowing; there are guards before it, who will ask you with cool penetration, what you seek from the shades of murky Hades. Say: “I am a son of earth and star-filled Heaven, I am dry with thirst and dying; but give me swiftly cool water flowing from the Pool of Memory.” And they will take pity on you by the will of the Queen of the Underworld, and they will give you water to drink from the Pool of Memory; and moreover, you will go on the great Sacred Way along with the other famed initiates and baccants make their way.

–Text on a Gold Foil found in Hipponion (ca. 400 BCE)
Lvl 27
"Words are but symbols for the relations of things to one another and to us, nowhere do they touch upon absolute truth."

Fredrich Nietzsche
Lvl 27
"Truth is so hard to tell,it sometimes needs fiction to make it plausible."

Sir Frances Bacon
Lvl 27
"Ya, it's short,but only on one end."

Dan Barrett
Master Carpenter
Lvl 27
" A figure with curves always offers a lot of interesting angles."

Wesley Ruggles
Film Director
Lvl 27
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions."

Naquib Mahfouz
Lvl 27
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door-
Only this, and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow;- vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow- sorrow for the lost Lenore-
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore-
Nameless here for evermore

Edgar Allen Poe
The Raven
  • Goto: