Score: 5.00 Votes: 8
rate this

The Political Compass

Starter: EricLindros Posted: 15 years ago Views: 3.9K
  • Goto:
Lvl 7
"Can the real Constitution be restored? Probably not. Too many Americans depend on government money under programs the Constitution doesn't authorize, and money talks with an eloquence Shakespeare could only envy. Ignorant people don't understand The Federalist Papers, but they understand government checks with their names on them." -- Joseph Sobran

The operations of the federal government will be most extensive and important in times of war and danger; those of the State governments, in times of peace and security.
James Madison, Federalist No. 45, January 26, 1788

"If Congress can apply money indefinitely to the general welfare, and are the sole and supreme judges of the general welfare, they may take the care of religion into their own hands; they may take into their own hands the education of children, establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union; they may undertake the regulation of all roads, other than post roads. In short, everything from the highest object of State legislation, down to the most minute object of policy, would be thrown under the power of Congress; for every object I have mentioned would admit the application of money, and might be called, if Congress pleased, provisions for the general welfare."
James Madison, speech to the First US Congress.

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but were to those specifically enumerated" Thomas Jefferson

“Don’t be idiots mouthing absurdities. It is obvious that this general statement is qualified and limited by the Constitution itself in what follows. No right reasoning person would ever conclude that that the enumeration of the particulars wouldn’t set definitive parameters on the meaning of ‘general Welfare, ’ nor would reasonably intelligent people ever conclude that the specifying of the particulars was only intended to confuse and mislead
Lvl 20
Quote:
Originally posted by NaughtyGypsy

Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
[ Image ]

Oh, a sister in politics. Glad to have you on board.
Lvl 24
Quote:
Originally posted by reconjumps

"Can the real Constitution be restored? Probably not. Too many Americans depend on government money under programs the Constitution doesn't authorize, and money talks with an eloquence Shakespeare could only envy. Ignorant people don't understand The Federalist Papers, but they understand government checks with their names on them." -- Joseph Sobran

The operations of the federal government will be most extensive and important in times of war and danger; those of the State governments, in times of peace and security.
James Madison, Federalist No. 45, January 26, 1788

"If Congress can apply money indefinitely to the general welfare, and are the sole and supreme judges of the general welfare, they may take the care of religion into their own hands; they may take into their own hands the education of children, establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union; they may undertake the regulation of all roads, other than post roads. In short, everything from the highest object of State legislation, down to the most minute object of policy, would be thrown under the power of Congress; for every object I have mentioned would admit the application of money, and might be called, if Congress pleased, provisions for the general welfare."
James Madison, speech to the First US Congress.

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but were to those specifically enumerated" Thomas Jefferson

“Don’t be idiots mouthing absurdities. It is obvious that this general statement is qualified and limited by the Constitution itself in what follows. No right reasoning person would ever conclude that that the enumeration of the particulars wouldn’t set definitive parameters on the meaning of ‘general Welfare, ’ nor would reasonably intelligent people ever conclude that the specifying of the particulars was only intended to confuse and mislead

...Those were fun?
Lvl 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Vesuvius

Oh, a sister in politics. Glad to have you on board.

Somehow I knew we'd be in the same boat.
Lvl 20
Quote:

Somehow I knew we'd be in the same boat.

How so?
Lvl 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Vesuvius

How so?

Because you don't general make me want to slap you upside the head every five minutes of so.
Lvl 20
Quote:

Because you don't general make me want to slap you upside the head every five minutes of so.

Oh, well that's good. I don't particularly like being slapped.
pretty sure that's as dull as it gets...
Lvl 7

I kind of expected similar results, socially though was unexpected.

link fixed
* This post has been modified by EricLindros : 15 years ago
  • Goto: