Score: 5.00 Votes: 8
rate this

The Political Compass

Starter: EricLindros Posted: 15 years ago Views: 3.9K
  • Goto:
Lvl 59
This is a fun little test to find where peoples ideologies lie on a socio-economic scale. It's quite interesting as it adds a second dimension to the typical liberal/conservative debate, as that's really just half of the picture when it comes to politics.

From their site:

Quote:
The old one-dimensional categories of 'right' and 'left', established for the seating arrangement of the French National Assembly of 1789, are overly simplistic for today's complex political landscape. For example, who are the 'conservatives' in today's Russia? Are they the unreconstructed Stalinists, or the reformers who have adopted the right-wing views of conservatives like Margaret Thatcher ?
On the standard left-right scale, how do you distinguish leftists like Stalin and Gandhi? It's not sufficient to say that Stalin was simply more left than Gandhi. There are fundamental political differences between them that the old categories on their own can't explain. Similarly, we generally describe social reactionaries as 'right-wingers', yet that leaves left-wing reactionaries like Robert Mugabe and Pol Pot off the hook.
That's about as much as we should tell you for now. After you've responded to the following propositions during the next 3-5 minutes, all will be explained. In each instance, you're asked to choose the response that best describes your feeling: Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Agree or Strongly Agree. At the end of the test, you'll be given the compass, with your own special position on it.

The test results for some historical figures of note:

Take the test here: http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

So, where do you folks stand?
* This post has been modified : 12 years ago
Lvl 59
Me:

According to their test I tend toward libertarianism and anarchy.

Which is actually fairly accurate, as I would consider my beliefs somewhere in that anarcho-capitalist sphere.
hmmm...i dunno

Lvl 25

Not sure I agree with this though
Lvl 16
Lvl 25
Quote:
Originally posted by rocknthefreeworld

[ Link ]

no surprise there. How are you mate?
Lvl 16
Doing fair to middling. You?

EDIT: I am not sure how accurate this test is. I did not like the wording on many of the items because they really did not give me a god choice to go with.
Lvl 6
Not too bad.(i think?)
Lvl 20
Very accurate indeed!

Lvl 12
I don't know myself politically. I thought I was more authoritarian and right wing! I guess hating christianity and not having a problem with homosexuality makes me a lefty.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-6.12&soc=-1.03

And I do hate christians.
* This post has been modified : 15 years ago
Lvl 13
Interesting test. Although, I really didn't like the limitations of the 4 simple answer choices. Plus, some of the questions could be answered differently depending on the context in which the answer was given, such as, was the question asking for current situations or hypothetical situations?

Let's just say I am a Green/Purple...
meh...

Lvl 22
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-3.50&soc=-1.38

Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by rocknthefreeworld

[ Image ]

Milton Friedman?

Quote:
Originally posted by trustno.1

[ Link ]

Hrm. Not exactly how I pictured you.
Lvl 12
Looks like Vesuvius and I think relatively alike. I'll admit, I'm surprised at where some people are winding up on this, after having read some of the stuff they've posted.

Lvl 8
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.23

that's cool.. thanks for sharing
Lvl 20
Quote:
Originally posted by lefty175

Looks like Vesuvius and I think relatively alike.

Seems that way yes.
Lvl 14
Most of us are leaning toward the Libertarians.
But look at who we have to vote for.
Lvl 16
That has to be wrong. There is no way in hell Clinton or Obama are right of center. Well, maybe if Pol Pot is in the center.

EDIT: But I will believe they are all authoritarian. Almost a pre-requisite for politics in the US anymore.
Lvl 14
You nailed it: AUTHORITARIAN is the key. These guys want to rule you.
That alone should be reason NOT to vote for them. I want somebody who
wants to make things right not make me. Even Obama is authoritarian.
Scary!
  • Goto: