Score: 4.33 Votes: 9
rate this

Tattoos: What's the deal?

Starter: sookyjumps Posted: 14 years ago Views: 6.8K
  • Goto:
Lvl 6
Tats don't bother me so much, piercings I just don't get. As far as looking trashy, nothing does that more than a cigarette.
Lvl 14
cigarettes are nasty too, and that whole thing where they are guaranteed to kill you
Lvl 16
Quote:
Originally posted by thegame14

if that was true that they are doing it for no one else then themselves and are not seeking our approval, wouldnt they all have them where no one can see them? Or do they purposefully put them in areas to attract attention, like a tramp stamp....

I heard this argument before and it still makes no sense.
Lvl 26
Hmm. Interesting point but if a girl wants a tattoo on her wrist and doesn't do it just because she's afraid of being judged then that wouldn't be doing something for herself, that would be doing what she thinks society wants her to do.

I have 9 tattoos myself and just recently got a big tribal piece on my whole arm which is the only tattoo I have that's visible with clothes on. I've never gotten any of mine to seek anyone's approval, I'm just running out of room to put them where they're hidden. So why is so hard to believe that a girl wouldn't do it for the same reason?

I have to admit, I hate tramp stamps but I'm sure when women first started getting tattoos there they didn't do it because they thought we would come up with that name and think everyone with one is automatically a slut. It just looked like a cool place to put a tattoo. Granted I'm sure there are plenty of women out there who get tattoos everyday because they think it will attract guys. There are plenty of attention whores out there who can't get enough and always seek approval from others.
Lvl 26
Quote:
Originally posted by thegame14

cigarettes are nasty too, and that whole thing where they are guaranteed to kill you

They are not guaranteed to kill you. Maybe likely but not guaranteed.
Lvl 16
Quote:
Originally posted by childsplay

Hmm. Interesting point but if a girl wants a tattoo on her wrist and doesn't do it just because she's afraid of being judged then that wouldn't be doing something for herself, that would be doing what she thinks society wants her to do.

I have 9 tattoos myself and just recently got a big tribal piece on my whole arm which is the only tattoo I have that's visible with clothes on. I've never gotten any of mine to seek anyone's approval, I'm just running out of room to put them where they're hidden. So why is so hard to believe that a girl wouldn't do it for the same reason?

I have to admit, I hate tramp stamps but I'm sure when women first started getting tattoos there they didn't do it because they thought we would come up with that name and think everyone with one is automatically a slut. It just looked like a cool place to put a tattoo. Granted I'm sure there are plenty of women out there who get tattoos everyday because they think it will attract guys. There are plenty of attention whores out there who can't get enough and always seek approval from others.

Exactly what I was thinking. I just don't have the energy to get that into it today.
Lvl 13
Quote:

Ok that's another thing we've been talking about. Tattoos are old news, they're not something new. I don't think there's too many people that get tattoos to rebel against society. Do you see how dumb that is? Seeing as how I'm sure well over 50 percent of our society has tattoos. Rebelling now would be to not get a tattoo.

Trust me if you don't like a girl's tattoos that's the first sign to her that you're not right for her anyways.
I can actually use mine all the time to tell if I'm compatible with a girl. If she looks at my arm and gives me some dirty wow you're white trash look then guess what, I don't want her just as much as she doesn't want me.

Like I said, PEOPLE I HAVE MET. Not the tattoo wearing in general. I have met quite a few chicks with blue hair, tats and piercings who just want to piss off daddy. Trust me.

And again, when properly done, they can be sexy. It's just the majority that are white trash, skanky and or distracting.
Lvl 11
Quote:

They are independent or at least trying to be. You should be happy for them for having their own mind and doing what they want without caring so much what others think of them...

...I prefer my girls to be strong and indepedent and I like tattoos on my girls.

A "strong" and "independent" person wouldn't need a tattoo to prove to themselves (or anyone else) that they're "strong" and independent"

If anything, I'd have to say that more people get tattoos because of social influences, which is pretty much the opposite of strong and independent.
Lvl 26
Quote:
Originally posted by brownell

A "strong" and "independent" person wouldn't need a tattoo to prove to themselves (or anyone else) that they're "strong" and independent"

If anything, I'd have to say that more people get tattoos because of social influences, which is pretty much the opposite of strong and independent.

I'm not saying they're getting tattoos to prove they're strong and independent. If that was the case then I'd be argueing against myself because that would prove that they are doing it for someone else's approval.
I'm saying that not caring about what other people think makes them strong and independent.

Social influences? No, that would be not getting a tattoo when she wants one only because she's afraid of being judged by all of you. How can you say someone doing something they want to do makes them weak? I say if she wants a tattoo and doesn't get one because she's afraid of what people will say then she's weak.
Lvl 11
You are arguing against yourself, because tattoos have become popular and acceptable. It's really no different than ear piercings, it's mostly done for show and decoration.

Put a fresh dog turd on string and wear it around your neck everywhere you go... that'll prove you don't care what anyone else thinks
Lvl 6
I think most tattosos on women are nasty!
Lvl 8
I hate them on anyone!! Like a previous comment, they are trashy, low class etc. They also make a person look filthy. Anyway I don't get the pro-tattoo mentality.
Lvl 26
No I'm not argueing against myself. Putting shit around my neck is not something I want to do. I'm sorry if tattoos and piercings are fashionable but that shouldn't stop us from getting them done if it's what we want. Not all of us can be complete rebels like you apparently but regardless of what you think, you follow trends everyday just like the rest of us.

Hey why don't you go out to the bar tonight wearing an extra small hello kitty shirt. You don't do that though, you go out wearing a shirt you like and I'm sure that according to your buddies and whatever type of person you are that shirt fits you right into that category. It's just the way of the world. If getting a tattoo means that I want to be accepted by certain people then wearing a certain shirt does to.
* This post has been modified : 14 years ago
Lvl 26
Quote:
Originally posted by jtoshawa

I hate them on anyone!! Like a previous comment, they are trashy, low class etc. They also make a person look filthy. Anyway I don't get the pro-tattoo mentality.

There's really nothing for you to get. You either like them or you don't. I don't try to understand why someone doesn't like them. It actually makes perfect sense to me. It's just your taste.

I don't like tomatoes but I don't go around questioning everyone who does and get frustrated and judge people when I see them eating them.

Also, thanks for calling me trashy and low class. I won't lower myself to your level because I know that I'm not either one of those and calling you names would only turn me into trashy and low class.
Lvl 8
Wow, I can't believe I have missed this thread for so long.

My 2 cents: Growing up and spending a lot of my time in the south Florida punk community has given me a certain appreciation for tattoos. I would see dudes in bands with big sleeve tattoos and think they were really fucking cool. I even went and got my first tattoo on my 18th brithday. I used to have the mindset that it was cool for dudes to be tatted but didn't think it looked good on chicks. As I met more and more cool chicks at shows and in bars and what not, I was able to gain an appreciation for tatted women. I like a woman with a bit of creativity, a bit of a wild side. I now think tattooed chicks are hot. Obviouosly, poorly drawn tats look bad on anybody.

However.........I'm not super keen on the fact that tattoos have become trendy and fashionable. It's a rarity to see a girl at the club without the obligatory "tramp stamp". Generic designs picked by ignorant people just because it's the cool new thing to do. Having tattoos used to stand for something. It meant you were an "outsider" a "rebel". People got tats to go against what was hip and trendy. Now, everywhere I go, I see douchebag frat boys with half sleeves and cheesy tribal bands. Let's not forget the always retarded "Chinese symbol". It has actually become rebellious to not get tats anymore. I had a discussion with a stripper I met in Vegas about it once. She saw my mohawk and instantly asked to see my tattoos. I showed her a few on my arm but told her "I'm not getting anymore". She asked why and I responded "they're just not cool anymore".

Everyone has their own opinion on the matter. I'm neither right nor wrong. However, I agree with the original poster asking why do people who don't like tats feel it's necessary to leave negative comments and just plain hate on tatted girls' pics. If you don't dig it, no prob. I think there are quite a few ugly looking pics of girls on this site but I don't feel it's necessary to bash them.

OK...feel free to bash me now.
Lvl 4
Quote:

So our society thinks this looks stupid but it's perfectly exceptable to not know the difference between there and their without looking stupid? Honestly, I'll take the stupid looking tattoos when I'm seventy rather than not knowing basic English.

As far as tats looking stupid when you're old, I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone that says that to me. I don't plan on walking around with my shirt off or showing people my tattoos when I'm that old and they look that stupid.

acceptable

as far as tats go, i just can't stand it when guys say it's not feminine. you understand there are some professional photographers that feel this way? how can someone in a field of art manage to say that?
Lvl 26
Touche but there's still a difference between a typo and simply not knowing.
Lvl 35
Tattoos are getting more accepted in this society, it's a way to express themselfs.
I agree that it looks stupid when a girl has a tattoo that whas done as a way to show that she is following the latest trends, but a lot of men (douchebags) do this as well.
But when a tattoo was done by a professional and if there is a special meaning to the tat then people will start to look different against it.
Lvl 11
Quote:

If getting a tattoo means that I want to be excepted by certain people then wearing a certain shirt does to.

Now you're getting it.
Lvl 26
Damn I guess I am an idiot. I spelled that same word wrong again.
  • Goto: