Score: 4.33 Votes: 9
rate this

Tattoos: What's the deal?

Starter: sookyjumps Posted: 14 years ago Views: 6.8K
  • Goto:
Lvl 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Joey-J

I'm not really a fan, people change and grow. This includes growing out of there tats physically (they look stupid when you get old and fat) and meantally.

But in saying that it really is a case by case basis.

So our society thinks this looks stupid but it's perfectly exceptable to not know the difference between there and their without looking stupid? Honestly, I'll take the stupid looking tattoos when I'm seventy rather than not knowing basic English.

As far as tats looking stupid when you're old, I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone that says that to me. I don't plan on walking around with my shirt off or showing people my tattoos when I'm that old and they look that stupid.
Lvl 11
Quote:
Originally posted by EricLindros

IMO, after some reflection upon the issue, I think it's actually pretty trashy, low-class and nasty to judge a person solely upon the modifications upon their body rather than the content of their character

There's a big difference between expressing displeasure about something someone does to alter their physical appearance, and judging a persons "character" based on the same. So while it may not be possible to judge someones "character" based on their tattoos(and/or piercings) they can tell you a lot about the person's mind.

On a purely physical level, I don't like tattoos, period.
Lvl 29
Quote:

I generally regard them to be more like...sheeple trend followers

That's it!!

(beer)
Lvl 10
I tend to agree and think its a whole fashion thing do you ever look back at old photo's and think did I really think I looked cool dressed like that
or can't believe the hair. Well these are things we can change lets not follow fashion we cant.
Lvl 5
Since this was posed as a sociological discussion . . .

I suspect that the strength of a mans dislike of tattoos is directly proportional to his age.
Lvl 18
Not trying to be Captain Obvious, but the judgments made on WBW pics are based solely upon what one perceives visually. If you met a beautiful girl with a great personality and then later discovered that she had a tattoo or two, I suspect that some of the superficial snap judgments about how the girl ruined her body just might change. Tattoo's are fine with me, but I don't like those big ass hoops in the ears and

Interesting to note that some people on this site dump on girls with implants. However, when most of us see a hot woman with beautiful breasts (not obvious, disproportionate bags of silicone), but then later come to learn that she has had some doctor's help in that area; those same folks don't seem to mind the fake boobs so much. Are those people really against fake boobs altogether or as I suspect, is it actually related purely to the visual astethics and whether those boobs look good with the whole package?
Lvl 29
Quote:
Originally posted by profopuss

I suspect that the strength of a mans dislike of tattoos is directly proportional to his age.

This would be an incorrect assumption. I generally dislike fads of any kind!!
Lvl 18
Tattoos can be cute or sexy if placed properly and done well and if there aren't tons of them. Generally I prefer girls without them. I wouldn't ever be in a serious relationship with a girl who had more then 1 or 2 really tiny ones.

And for the record I post negative comments on all kinds of stuff I don't like. The fatties, the preggos, the just plain ugly and the overly tattooed.
* This post has been modified : 14 years ago
Lvl 10
I love em, and have a bunch myself, however agree that tasteful is a must! Great thread!
Lvl 26
Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowdemon

Quote:

I generally regard them to be more like...sheeple trend followers

That's it!!

(beer)

I'm sorry to tell you this but everything we do in this world is following some kind of trend whether you like to admit it or not you follow trends everyday.

It's funny, tattoos used to be the way to rebel against society now putting them down is rebelling.
Lvl 20
Quote:
Originally posted by FamilyGuy

Not trying to be Captain Obvious, but the judgments made on WBW pics are based solely upon what one perceives visually. If you met a beautiful girl with a great personality and then later discovered that she had a tattoo or two, I suspect that some of the superficial snap judgments about how the girl ruined her body just might change.

That's an interesting observation, and likely true.

I've met a girl who I really liked and later found out she had several very large and intrusive tattoos. I still liked her, and she was still hot, but it most certainly did become an obstacle I had to get over and yeah, it affected me when looking at her naked. I simply didn't like it.

I'd imagine it's much the same as if someone who didn't like smokers was dating a smoker. When it's time to get intimate, that smell is present. So too are the tattoos, and they can be every bit as much of an obstacle to overcome as the smoking.

It still makes it harder to get past, even if we manage to. And it doesn't need to be there in the first place.

Why handicap yourself?
Lvl 13
I love tattoos. For me it makes the landscape of their body more interesting. I love women's bodies almost as much without them too, but the variety is nice, more than nice, it's a pleasure to explore their artwork, both the piece itself (or pieces) and the reasons and stories behind them.

And that latter aspect is important. I've met a woman recently who couldn't tell me anything about one of her tattoos, no reason she could really give for having it done beyond she wanted it at the time. That was a huge disappointment. Everything we do to ourselves ought to have meaning, however small.

So there you have it; when tattoos are a form of self expression with some relevent thought or context attached, they are great. Great artwork can always stand all on its own too, and I've never met anybody who had a great tattoo without knowing why they wanted it and at least a half decent story to match.

Then finally there are the tattoos that are meaningless; bland, boring, taken straight out of a book just beacuse. Those are the ugly ones.
Lvl 26
None of my tattoos mean a damn thing and I'm proud of that. I do what I like because I like it and don't really care if anyone approves of that. I think that's awesome that you met a girl who just did what she likes. I'm the opposite of you, I hate hearing girls talk about what this tattoo means and what that tattoo means. Honestly, I think it's all bs. People think they have to come up with some meaningful reason to do what they want they want to their own body. It's all bullshit.

So if you think that then I think the same should go for boob jobs or any kind of plastic surgery. Do you expect a girl to have some meaning behind her breasts implants? No probably not, because that's stupid. They do it because it makes them feel better about themselves. Well guess what, that's the same reason a lot of people get tattoos.

As far as the having trouble getting past someone's artwork in the bedroom goes, if it's that big of a deal to you and she knew it was then she probably wouldn't want to stay with you anyways. It's not like she's going to regret getting a tattoo just because some guy doesn't approve of it. There are plenty of other guys out there who I'm sure will love it. I know for me if I'm with a girl and she sees my tattoos for the first time and can't get past them then that's it for us. I'm not gonna sit around and cry about how stupid I was for getting them, I'm going to move on and find someone with the same interests as me.
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by brownell

There's a big difference between expressing displeasure about something someone does to alter their physical appearance, and judging a persons "character" based on the same. So while it may not be possible to judge someones "character" based on their tattoos(and/or piercings) they can tell you a lot about the person's mind.

Well, the folks here to refer to them as "low class" and "trashy" are certainly making character judgments.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin

Why handicap yourself?

Maybe because they don't consider it a handicap and are more than happy to not be involved with overly superficial douchebags.

For the dudes who don't like them, why not just consider them like a birthmark, or some sort of surgical scar, that, while perhaps not appealing to you, also has nothing to do with you, and leave it at that?
Lvl 13
Usually people who don't like tattoos are just too much of a pussy to get one and are way to afraid of any type of commitment to consent!
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by tatguy69

Usually people who don't like tattoos are just too much of a pussy to get one and are way to afraid of any type of commitment to consent!

Way to be overly stereotypical in the other direction.
It depends on the girl- I like some tattoos, until she has so many that they become the main focus when you're looking at her. I don't want to look at a chick and her tattoos be almost overwhelming.

With that said- I don't dislike tattoos that are small and meaningless in terms of how they look, but I just don't understand why it seems that every girl I know between about 18-24 y/o seems to have one or two pointless tattoos, the majority of whom just picked out a random design at a tattoo parlor when they went with a friend just for kicks. Again- doesn't make them less attractive to me, but I don't understand why they put something of such permanence on their body when it doesn't mean anything at all.
Quote:
Originally posted by TheItch

I love tattoos. For me it makes the landscape of their body more interesting. I love women's bodies almost as much without them too, but the variety is nice, more than nice, it's a pleasure to explore their artwork, both the piece itself (or pieces) and the reasons and stories behind them.

And that latter aspect is important. I've met a woman recently who couldn't tell me anything about one of her tattoos, no reason she could really give for having it done beyond she wanted it at the time. That was a huge disappointment. Everything we do to ourselves ought to have meaning, however small.

So there you have it; when tattoos are a form of self expression with some relevent thought or context attached, they are great. Great artwork can always stand all on its own too, and I've never met anybody who had a great tattoo without knowing why they wanted it and at least a half decent story to match.

Then finally there are the tattoos that are meaningless; bland, boring, taken straight out of a book just beacuse. Those are the ugly ones.

Ahh, I got lazy and didn't read the last page of posts before making my posts. This is largely the point I was trying to make...
i used to hate them!! ....and now i'm a member of Suicide girls. Still prefer girls not to have them, but i'm certainly not judgmental about them and they no longer spoil my appreciation of the female aesthetic. I even appreciate some of the art.

Calling girls with tattoo tramps and whorish is just an ignorant and narrow minded a prejudice as any other. Say...like calling all Americans ignorant, belligerent, gunning loving racists.

I actually find these tats kinda cute
Lvl 15
Tattoos have been around forever (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi_the_Iceman). Just because you have them or like them doesn't mean you are being trendy as some of you have suggested. I got my first one when I was 29 to celebrate the birth of my first son and I got the second one a few months ago when my second was born. I certainly didn't get them because I thought it was cool. They commemorate two significant events in my life that will never change.

It's obviously a personal preference but I think they can be sexy on a woman depending on the tattoo itself the placement and the person. They can be, and often are, overdone but there are many a Suicide Girls that I think are beautiful.
  • Goto: