Score: 5.00 Votes: 4
rate this

Advice to our Children.

Starter: Honda_X Posted: 11 years ago Views: 6.0K
  • Goto:
Lvl 19
So....we are left with the guessing game of why you are not employed in your chosen field.

Don't you feel some responsibility to the thread to explain why you are not, or........?

A troll is someone who tosses something provocative out there and then slams someone like FeFe with YOUR trollish " try again".

It's like "Oh please...read my mind as to why I am not employed"....very very trollish.

Man up and tell us why you think you are not employed and what the possible remedy is.

Or stop fishing for sympathy.
Lvl 14
Quote:
Originally posted by F1098

So....we are left with the guessing game of why you are not employed in your chosen field.

Don't you feel some responsibility to the thread to explain why you are not, or........?

A troll is someone who tosses something provocative out there and then slams someone like FeFe with YOUR trollish " try again".

It's like "Oh please...read my mind as to why I am not employed"....very very trollish.

Man up and tell us why you think you are not employed and what the possible remedy is.

Or stop fishing for sympathy.

First of all as of late people with Technical Degrees or some sort of certification are much more employable then those with degrees. I've been denied from several jobs for being overqualified. My comment to Fefe was based on my earlier comment. She simply said "Ok let me amend my statement by saying you need to be careful about what you get your degree in" My point to saying "try again" was that I was careful I chose an upcoming degree and that I don't believe that is the issue. My comment wasn't even there to have someone reply.

I have an idea why I can't get a job, one I am not willing to relocate to DC or NYC. On the other hand I believe I am over-qualified for most jobs but I am under-experienced in my field. I don't think you have any issue with this. When you finished with your bachelors and whether you proceeded to your Masters right away or got it later, a lot of companies hired people without any or minimal experience. Since then was a huge amount of people who lost jobs. Who have MORE experience than I do. Other than those things I have NO freaking idea why I can't get a job. I have applied to Verizon, I have applied to work at Best Buy and many others in-between. I don't get responses or call backs. I even went and started to apply to get into the MBA program for fraud. But I don't know if it's worth it. I already have school loans I can't afford and a MBA isn't going to guarantee me anything other than a piece of paper on my wall.

I don't know what else to tell you.
Lvl 19
Thank you for the full and complete answer....and in a gentlemanly fashion. THAT is what this thread needs and what everyone can learn from.

Thanks again,
F1098
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by pantsman12

First of all as of late people with Technical Degrees or some sort of certification are much more employable then those with degrees. I've been denied from several jobs for being overqualified. My comment to Fefe was based on my earlier comment. She simply said "Ok let me amend my statement by saying you need to be careful about what you get your degree in" My point to saying "try again" was that I was careful I chose an upcoming degree and that I don't believe that is the issue. My comment wasn't even there to have someone reply.

I have an idea why I can't get a job, one I am not willing to relocate to DC or NYC. On the other hand I believe I am over-qualified for most jobs but I am under-experienced in my field. I don't think you have any issue with this. When you finished with your bachelors and whether you proceeded to your Masters right away or got it later, a lot of companies hired people without any or minimal experience. Since then was a huge amount of people who lost jobs. Who have MORE experience than I do. Other than those things I have NO freaking idea why I can't get a job. I have applied to Verizon, I have applied to work at Best Buy and many others in-between. I don't get responses or call backs. I even went and started to apply to get into the MBA program for fraud. But I don't know if it's worth it. I already have school loans I can't afford and a MBA isn't going to guarantee me anything other than a piece of paper on my wall.

I don't know what else to tell you.

This all sounds about right. And unfortunate for tens of thousands of recent graduates.

I would say, if you can at all swing it, try to move to DC. It's like a totally separate economy there, detached from the greater world economic system. There was a great Time article about it a few months back...let me see if I can dig it up...

Edit: Found it. The Time.com version is paywalled, so try this: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=cache%3Apastebin.com%2FEZENnNMw

It's really eye-opening.
Lvl 14
Quote:
Originally posted by EricLindros

This all sounds about right. And unfortunate for tens of thousands of recent graduates.

I would say, if you can at all swing it, try to move to DC. It's like a totally separate economy there, detached from the greater world economic system. There was a great Time article about it a few months back...let me see if I can dig it up...

Honestly, I would consider it. But.. my grandparents are 89 and 84 and they are my entire world. I spent endless days over the summers with them. I am 2 1/2 hours away from them now and I couldn't do 9 by car or what would end up being a 4 hr flight.
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by pantsman12

Honestly, I would consider it. But.. my grandparents are 89 and 84 and they are my entire world. I spent endless days over the summers with them. I am 2 1/2 hours away from them now and I couldn't do 9 by car or what would end up being a 4 hr flight.

I can understand this. I'm a primary caretaker for my grandfather, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if that were that not the case I would be living elsewhere. Family is always important, so we often make sacrifices for them, and that's good if that's what we prioritize.

Either way, I'd still suggest reading the article I linked in my last post. It's really kind of illustrative of some of the issues with labor and legislative policy (as it shows why the political elites are so detached from the plight of the average person)
Lvl 19
OMG....I was thinking the same thing EL. I have friends who moved to Fairfax, VA to take advantage of the HUGE boondoggle spending that is part of the Homeland Security honey pot. An ex of mine actually found great($$)work doing something like said forensics for the CIA. (...All I got was this T shirt with huge letters "CIA" on it...tres cool, but I digress.......)

I am sorry that Pantsman has such a conflict in his life/career.
Lvl 14
Quote:

I can understand this. I'm a primary caretaker for my grandfather, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if that were that not the case I would be living elsewhere. Family is always important, so we often make sacrifices for them, and that's good if that's what we prioritize.

Either way, I'd still suggest reading the article I linked in my last post. It's really kind of illustrative of some of the issues with labor and legislative policy (as it shows why the political elites are so detached from the plight of the average person)

I read the article, it was very interesting and I wish I could go there and give it a shot.
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by F1098

OMG....I was thinking the same thing EL. I have friends who moved to Fairfax, VA to take advantage of the HUGE boondoggle spending that is part of the Homeland Security honey pot. An ex of mine actually found great($$)work doing something like said forensics for the CIA. (...All I got was this T shirt with huge letters "CIA" on it...tres cool, but I digress.......)

I have similar stories (although they mostly involve male friends and therefore are all non-exes). One example: a buddy of mine was in the military for a few years, left and got his degree in something or other. Moved to DC to work for a military contractor of some sort at a salary just shy of 6 digits, starting. He finished his first project relatively quickly and was immediately confronted by nearly all of his coworkers who told him that his work was done much too expeditiously, and to sit on the final product for a few weeks before turning it in. If he didn't he would he ostracized from the rest of the firm and likely wouldn't last, as he would be seen to be "making the others look bad," etc. etc. He's still employed there and does very well for himself some years later. It's quite depressing.
Lvl 19
( Yeah, and let's all remember the myth that private industry can do it cheaper and faster.....giggle !)
Lvl 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_X
So, lets say you're on your deathbed ... What advice would you give them? ... Myself, ...

They won't listen to you.
Lvl 28
Pantsman, stay away from Washington. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
Lvl 59
Easy to say when you've got money in your pocket and a prosperous career. I wouldn't suggest people suffer out of some principle that they can do almost nothing to change anyway.

Or, alternatively, you can look at it like you're joining it to help so overburden the system so that it eventually fails under the weight of its own bloat. Rot it from the inside or what have you.
Lvl 28
Quote:

Easy to say when you've got money in your pocket and a prosperous career. I wouldn't suggest people suffer out of some principle that they can do almost nothing to change anyway.

It's may seem "easy to say" when you don't know my story, or millions like it. My statement stands. I despise my government. This country is full of opportunity for people that want to work 12+ hours a day and risk losing it all.... despite everything the government tries to do to stop them.
Lvl 12
can we have some breasts now please?
Lvl 28
Quote:
Originally posted by 0ghash

can we have some breasts now please?

Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by bustMall

It's may seem "easy to say" when you don't know my story, or millions like it. My statement stands. I despise my government. This country is full of opportunity for people that want to work 12+ hours a day and risk losing it all.... despite everything the government tries to do to stop them.

What, exactly, does the government do to stop people from risking everything to make a living, and become one of those success stories?

I stand by my assertion that it's a lot easier for some off white guy to say, "Don't pursue this potentially lucrative opportunity" because you don't like the government than it would be for some poor, unemployed person with loads of debt to somehow pay off to say the same thing.
Lvl 28
EL, I have no desire to fight with you over this, my friend. I can tell you that until one tries to comply with federal & state employment laws and tax burdens, it is an impossibility to comprehend. It put me under once. I have begged for a job at the very bottom, and climbed to the top, and begged for chances along the way. I've had some advantage and help along the way, but there was never a thing given to me, and I know so many who have done as well or better under much tougher circumstances.

But that aside, much like they used to tell us at my burger flipping job "If there's time to lean, there's time to clean".... if there's time to complain about it, there is time to knock on one more door. Every opportunity begins with a first impression. Make it GREAT, and when someone gives you that chance, do that job like your life depended on it, and keep moving. Most "Luck" is just an opportunity that someone made the best of, and most people are exactly where they are in life because they choose to be there.

I will not deny that this is a very difficult environment for employment opportunities. It is. Employers are trying to do as much as they can with the people they presently have on staff, but there are jobs available, even if not in one's chosen educational field. Every job I've ever had has been a blessing. I did not like some of them, but I was blessed by them and fortunate to have had the experience and the opportunity. The road to where I am today was not paved in gold, silver or even asphalt. Sometimes there was no road at all. But I laid stones where needed, and made the best of every situation and when the opportunity arrived, I begged for it, and I kicked it's ass. I have white, indian and black friends who's stories may be different, but yet they are the same.

But that's just a bunch of blah, blah, blah... the fact is that employment regulations are designed to favor big business, unions, and to be a huge hurdle to start-up companies. Ask any sole proprietor that's trying to comply. It's why so many try to skirt the laws by utilizing "subs" that they can 1099 instead of employees that get a W-2. Life is much easier if you can put the tax burden on the individual.

There would be a full-on revolt in this country if every employee was paid the full value of their employment taxes, including all Employer matching funds, worker's comp and other state taxes they never see on a check stub, and had to send in their own taxes after receiving their gross pay. So many people have become complacent over the money stolen from them that they don't even know what their "gross" pay is. It's a pity that our populace has taken it so lightly. The simple truth is that it's not about the money, it's about the compliance. There is no such thing as a tax on business. Politicians use business taxes to dupe the public. Any tax that is levied against business is simply passed on as a cost of doing business. In the end, the consumer pays it ALL. Or else the business folds. The people of this country are sucking on a giant government lollipop with no flavor, no nourishment, and being told it's good for them. To many have started to believe it.

I shall now go and tell all my black friends to give up, they can't do it.

Pantsman, I hope things turn soon, but I don't have a lot of good hope for our economy. Your generation, my two son's generation, is going to see some real tough times I fear. Look to construction, manual labor, factory work, shovelling shit in a dairy barn... You never know which job is just a stepping stone to something, or SOMEONE, better. Real opportunity and advancement is often more about the relationships you form at the bottom of the ladder, and proving that you are good in the trenches. People that promote take note of those with a good attitude toward the lower end positions. Kinda like the old proverb "Those that can be trusted with little, can be trusted with much".

A government job might be a temporary fix, but it's a hard mold to get out of once you get in it. A job that pushes people to strive for mediocrity will never bring you long lasting satisfaction.

Go get'em.
Lvl 24
Quote:
Originally posted by bustMall

I can tell you that until one tries to comply with federal & state employment laws and tax burdens, it is an impossibility to comprehend.

I'm not really interested in getting in any kind of debate/discussion about this but as a lot of you know i work for the company my family has owned for over 25 years. We don't do 1099's on our employees, etc. I really don't agree with what you're saying or really understand what you're going on about for the most part.

Taxes blow, for sure. And yes, they're worse for the employer than the employee which most people don't even realize. That's the cost of business, if it's taking you under then something has gone wrong in the business plan.

(not trying to belittle anything you said... just my opinion, of course.)
Lvl 28
Quote:
Originally posted by FeFeHumHum

I'm not really interested in getting in any kind of debate/discussion about this but as a lot of you know i work for the company my family has owned for over 25 years. We don't do 1099's on our employees, etc. I really don't agree with what you're saying or really understand what you're going on about for the most part.

Taxes blow, for sure. And yes, they're worse for the employer than the employee which most people don't even realize. That's the cost of business, if it's taking you under then something has gone wrong in the business plan.

(not trying to belittle anything you said... just my opinion, of course.)

I understand exactly what you're saying Fefe. I think in a very shallow way i touched on it with the "gov't regs favor big biz" comments.

It's the start-up that has to absorb all the cost of payroll compliance/accounting/bookwork, while covering those overhead burdens with a much smaller workforce that makes it very difficult. At least that was my point, and my perception.

Does that make any more sense? i dunno
  • Goto: