Score: 4.33 Votes: 6
rate this

Tebow.... Love Him? Hate Him? Baby Jesus?

Starter: MissMia22 Posted: 12 years ago Views: 7.9K
  • Goto:
Lvl 19
Quote:
Originally posted by HarleyDude

Neither love or hate. He would not be starting on ANY other NFL team.

BULLSHIT!! how can you even say that if you look at his record?
Quote:
Originally posted by EricLindros

If you think that's what would happen if he decided to do some Muslim prayers you're extremely out of touch with the football watching crowds in the United States.

(Hint: He would be treated very poorly)

More BULLSHIT, and, what I hate is people with egos so overblown that they can state any hypothetical they make up as God's Truth! WHAT HARM does it do YOU if he displays his faith?!? NONE!! Take your hate out on pigs like Dan Savage.
Lvl 5
Ok my knowledge of NFL is pretty much limited to what I learnt playing madden NFL on my sega mega drive and first time I’ve seen him was on the news tonight with him posing on one knee and all the other people doing spin offs of it.
Religion might have little bit to do with it but over all I think just media love to build up these people as feel good hero stories and then camp in the bush’s to catch them then they trip up and jump all over them.
Lvl 20
Quote:
Originally posted by BillK

BULLSHIT!! how can you even say that if you look at his record?...

More BULLSHIT, and, what I hate is people with egos so overblown that they can state any hypothetical they make up as God's Truth! WHAT HARM does it do YOU if he displays his faith?!? NONE!! Take your hate out on pigs like Dan Savage.

Replace the "Christian" part of this with "Muslim" and answer your own question.

Beyond that, we'd be getting into a whole different conversation if we got into the idea that "Yes, believing in imaginary friends and making judgments for yourself - and especially others - based on those beliefs is contrary to productive society."

Even among Christians, Fundamentalist Christianity is a sect - it's a cult by definition.

It's amazing to me how all the Christians think it's okay for them to ram their belief system down someone else's throat, but won't tolerate it when others do the same to them. Then they cry that they're persecuted (as if they even know what that word actually means) when they're told to knock it the fuck off.
Lvl 18
Hate him. He needs to dial it down a couple notches.

Jesus is a Green Bay fan anyways.
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by BillK

BULLSHIT!! how can you even say that if you look at his record?...

First, looking at wins to determine the value of a player is stupid because, as you might know, football is a team sport. Was Barry Sanders a shitty running back because the Lions went 74-79 in games he played in? Was Trent Dilfer a good QB because he won the Superbowl in 2000 with a season passing rating of 76.6 on 1500 passing yards? The answer to those questions, of course, is no.

Even ignoring how pointless looking at wins and losses is, you're crowing about the kid because 6-5 as a starter in the regular season? With none of those wins coming against playoff teams? The Broncos finished 8-8 in a horrible division, meaning they got to play 3 shit teams 6 times. His 28th ranked passer rating? His league worst 125 passing YPG? League worst 46.5% completion percentage? As far as his rushing game, well, it's largely dependent on the blocking scheme, but even then he's no Mike Vick or Cam Newton, both of him averaged more yards per carry - Vick significantly more. He's a very bad quarterback who can run a bit. Does that get you a starting QB job on most teams? No, it does not.

Quote:
Originally posted by snoopy7666

In such topics, everyone can an' will have some sort of position or opinion an' they are entitled to it...but in modern America, there is a pervasive an' troubling agenda to minimize Christianity, God, Jesus. etc. - an' any displays of association with these concepts - to the point of ultimate elimination.
The mostly left-wing media industry, the ACLU, NPR, etc. are part of a war being waged against faith and Christian religion in America...all in the name of the small reference in the US Constitution that prohibits the establishment of a "state church" or a "state religion." In much the same way that the "right to bear arms" has been interpreted to suit the interpreter, this admonition was designed to prevent a "church of America" springing up in the newly-formed nation such as had happened with the powerful Church of England (from which the colonists were seeking escape) and also the Pope and the Catholic Church, which had evolved into a nation-state of its own. The idea was to prevent religion from being sanctioned and promoted by the government...and to prevent the church - any church - from gaining any sway or leverage (i.e., 'power' ) within the halls of government.
What has been forgotten is that the Founding Fathers (God love 'em!) were mostly Christians - men of deep and powerful faith. They wanted to establish a secular government, but it was never their intent to wipe out the presence of religion in people's daily lives...Public prayer, Nativity scenes at Christmas, crosses and representations of the Ten Commandments, on which Judeo-Christian morality and civil law are based...these are not enemies to be wiped from the public complexion like one would wash soot from one's face. They are innate and fundamental parts of the unique American experience and culture. Our government - from the national level to the township level - seems intent on showing tolerance for every form of faith EXCEPT the "faith of our (founding) fathers." The same 'leaders' who will fight for the right of Muslims to place a mosque a few blocks from where Muslims horribly murdered nearly 3,000 innocent people on 9/11 are the same 'leaders' who will deny the permits for a Nativity scene at Christmas time, force crosses to be removed, decry calling the 25th of December "Christmas" and saying it is a "Holiday" instead...but make sure there's no "Christ" in there...saying the Ten Commandments have no place in a local City Hall or Court House...
I believe that the blessings enjoyed by Americans - which are unique in all the world - are closely tied to the strong and unwavering faith of our people - in themselves, and it something greater than themselves...Whatever this is, it has made our nation strong and great and enabled it to stand for the power of right over wrong, good over evil, charity over cruelty, and opportunity over oppression more than any other nation in history...but not without flaws and failures...we are only human.
As a nation, we need to return to what has worked for America and the world over the last century or so...and turn away from the ruinous agenda of those who clearly seek to see America broken, beaten down, dispirited, and destroyed...

Folks, let this be a lesson to you; if you try to learn US American History from Glenn Beck you turn into a blathering idiot.

Seriously, there's at least a dozen things that diatribe are just blatantly wrong here, and this has shit-all to do with Tim Tebow.

Take it to your Church, budday.
* This post has been modified : 12 years ago
Lvl 20
Quote:

Seriously, there's at least a dozen things that diatribe are just blatantly wrong here, and this has shit-all to do with Tim Tebow.

Take it to your Church, budday.

You're right on about your commentary about the spam email that got copied and pasted into our conversation here, Eric.

But that's the thing, it does have shit all to do with Tebow. Why? Because he brings it out and rams it in everyone's face.

Yes, this is the conversation that will ALWAYS come up about Tebow.

We could talk about Kurt Warner all day. We could talk about Reggie White all day. This conversation wouldn't come up.

But talk about Tim Tebow and it does.

People want to know why Tebow is being treated the way he is - it's because he makes it happen on his own. Everytime someone attacks him, it's because he attacked them first - whether he realized it or not. Probably long before he was even in the NFL, but he continues to do so even now.

Yeah, this does have shit all to do with Tebow. And that's the problem with Tim Tebow (aside from the fact that he sucks too).
Lvl 21
as far as the religious thing I could care less. Personally I'm a Chiefs fan and we are not fond of Denver. But I will say Tebo is not afraid to run with the ball and take a hit like most of the QB's in the game. I admire that.
I hate his very public displays of religion, because that really isn't my thing. I couldn't care less what he believes from a religious standpoint, so I'm tired of seeing /hearing about Tim Tebow's faith.

And the guy sort of sucks at football, by NFL standards. Yet despite it, the guy just wins. I've been watching sports a long time, and I'm hard pressed to think of another guy who won ugly so much of the time. But that's still pretty cool.

He seems like a legitimately very nice guy that's too religious/publicly religious for my tastes who isn't that good at football but wins anyway. Overall, he's okay, but I just don't understand all the attention he receives.
Lvl 20
Quote:
Originally posted by waywardson

as far as the religious thing I could care less. Personally I'm a Chiefs fan and we are not fond of Denver. But I will say Tebo is not afraid to run with the ball and take a hit like most of the QB's in the game. I admire that.

Yeah, because it makes your defense salivate. I bet you "admire" the Hell out of that. I imagine he'll be done as a quarterback by his 5th season at this pace, though he seems to be holding up well currently. It takes a toll quickly, however. Especially against good defenses, and KC happens to have one of those.

Yeah... I bet you "admire" that a great deal...
Quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin

EL is right. If Tebow was Muslim they'd be ready to kill him.

I don't know about that. There haven't been very many muslims in the NFL (as far as I'm aware), but I don't believe they've been chastised for their faith. I think there are currently six Muslim players in the NFL right now. Ahmad Rashad converted to Islam shortly after being drafted, and people didn't have a problem with him.

If they were overtly religious, maybe it would change things. I think people would certainly be less well-received. But assuming Tebow was just a nice guy who also happened to be Muslim, rather than a huge dick or extremist Muslim, I wonder if people would just get over it. All the same, I doubt he would be as popular...
Lvl 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Elmer280

I don't know about that. There haven't been very many muslims in the NFL (as far as I'm aware), but I don't believe they've been chastised for their faith. I think there are currently six Muslim players in the NFL right now. Ahmad Rashad converted to Islam shortly after being drafted, and people didn't have a problem with him.

If they were overtly religious, maybe it would change things. I think people would certainly be less well-received. But assuming Tebow was just a nice guy who also happened to be Muslim, rather than a huge dick or extremist Muslim, I wonder if people would just get over it. All the same, I doubt he would be as popular...

There are many Muslims in the NFL, including Ryan Harris, the offensive lineman for Tim Tebow and the Broncos. You're right though, that if they were overtly in your face about it people would react to them poorly.

Tim Tebow does exactly that, so he should expect no other response.

And neither should his zealots.
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by Elmer280

And the guy sort of sucks at football, by NFL standards. Yet despite it, the guy just wins.

So what?

Quote:

First, looking at wins to determine the value of a player is stupid because, as you might know, football is a team sport. Was Barry Sanders a shitty running back because the Lions went 74-79 in games he played in? Was Trent Dilfer a good QB because he won the Superbowl in 2000 with a season passing rating of 76.6 on 1500 passing yards? The answer to those questions, of course, is no.

Even ignoring how pointless looking at wins and losses is, you're crowing about the kid because 6-5 as a starter in the regular season? With none of those wins coming against playoff teams? The Broncos finished 8-8 in a horrible division, meaning they got to play 3 shit teams 6 times. His 28th ranked passer rating? His league worst 125 passing YPG? League worst 46.5% completion percentage? As far as his rushing game, well, it's largely dependent on the blocking scheme, but even then he's no Mike Vick or Cam Newton, both of him averaged more yards per carry - Vick significantly more. He's a very bad quarterback who can run a bit. Does that get you a starting QB job on most teams? No, it does not.
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin

There are many Muslims in the NFL, including Ryan Harris, the offensive lineman for Tim Tebow and the Broncos. You're right though, that if they were overtly in your face about it people would react to them poorly.

Tim Tebow does exactly that, so he should expect no other response.

And neither should his zealots.

This exactly.

If a Muslim player were to fall to his knees and genuflect in prayer toward Mecca after scoring a touchdown or while on the sidelines, there's almost no doubt that he would be in the national doghouse and experience a derision the likes of which would dwarf this Tebow reaction.
Lvl 17
I don't know anything about this dude, never heard of him. From an outsiders pov, if he wants to display his faith, let him. As long as its not an overtly, in-your-face down-your-throat kinda way, which, again from an outsiders pov seems a very american thing, then it's all good.

Drawing on my own sporting opinions, my team, Newcastle United, has a Muslim African striker called Demba Ba. He's in shit hot form and has hit 15 goals in 16 games. He celebrates every goal with an Islamic Bow:

Nobody's said shit. Seriously. The guys awesome, and is just displaying his faith. Nowt wrong with that.

Surely this tebow should be allowed to do the same...
Quote:

So what?

So what nothing. I think it's awesome. I like the guy more because every time I watch him, he looks so awful out there that it seems like his team should be getting their asses kicked, but they're usually winning. The guy just wins, and I can appreciate that.
Lvl 7
Quote:

If you think that's what would happen if he decided to do some Muslim prayers you're extremely out of touch with the football watching crowds in the United States.

(Hint: He would be treated very poorly)

As for Tebow, I'm torn.

I hate overt displays of religiocity, just because they're dumb and it's stupid to think that your god gives a shit about your touchdown or your score or your fucking sporting career, and because doing it so often in such a public manner is not necessary. You can pray, or thank the load, or do whatever you like to do without genuflecting and making a big public show of it.

On the other hand, he gets soooo many people upset that I kind of admire him for that. He's like the ultimate sports troll, even if he's doing it sincerely.

How do you feel about overt displays of homosexuality like two guys swapping spit in public? Have you seen what goes on at a gay rights parade? So what if he is open about his faith? He does not force you or anybody else to participate. His actions are a lot less anoying than some of the celebratory antics of other athletes.

I think that same people upset about this are the same ones who want the greeting Merry Christams changed to Happy Holidays.
Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy!

I don't know anything about this dude, never heard of him. From an outsiders pov, if he wants to display his faith, let him. As long as its not an overtly, in-your-face down-your-throat kinda way, which, again from an outsiders pov seems a very american thing, then it's all good.

Drawing on my own sporting opinions, my team, Newcastle United, has a Muslim African striker called Demba Ba. He's in shit hot form and has hit 15 goals in 16 games. He celebrates every goal with an Islamic Bow:

[ Image ]

Nobody's said shit. Seriously. The guys awesome, and is just displaying his faith. Nowt wrong with that.

Surely this tebow should be allowed to do the same...

When athletes are good at what they do, I think people give them more leeway. If Tebow were a Muslim, I think people would accept it just fine as long as he was still winning. Kareem Abdul Jabbar was open about his Islamic faith during his NBA career, and I don't recall backlash against him for it. But maybe I'm too young to remember it.

Personally, I don't care what religion someone is, if people celebrate by doing a religious bow, point to the sky, thank god, etc., etc. That's all fine and good. I just don't care to hear about Tebow's faith in nearly every interview or see PSAs about some issue his religion cares about.
Lvl 7
Quote:
Originally posted by 3holein1

Tebow is not a good NFL QB. He has very poor throwing mechanics but can run his ass off. He also has a will to win that is undeniable. I think its a combination of the facts he sucks as a passer and is very religious. I could care less about someones religion provided they keep it to themselves and aren't putting it in your face all the time. Tebow goes beyond overboard in that regard and is thus a very divisive character.

As for those who think Muslims would get a pass in professional sports (Demigod) should look up Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. He was suspended from the NBA for saying a prayer during the National Anthem (One nation under god...). If anything, Tebow is getting the pass because he is Christian not the other way around.

Clarification is order:

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was suspended for not standing during the National Anthem as a form of protest not for praying.

To my knowledge Tebow has not refused to stand for the Natiaonl Anthem and eos nto pray during it.
Lvl 13
Before anyone else says that 'Without his overt displays of Christian faith, no one would have given him a look as a player,' remember, this guy was one of the most in-demand recruits coming out of high school and it wasn't until he was winning games at U. of Florida that even demented/obsessed college football fans (such as myself) knew anything about his religious devotion.

My Tebow opinion: Has had a remarkable lucky streak considering his lousy mechanics, scattershot accuracy, and questionable passing decisions. I like that he will tuck the ball and run for some positive yardage, but if he keeps it up he's gonna need to be a religious man.
Lvl 13
The thing about faith is you should live it, not merely show it. He just seems so demonstrative about his Christianity, and it makes you think he's trying to convinced the fans that he's a believer. Do you really think that God gives a damn about whether the Broncos score a touchdown? I think not.
  • Goto: