Score: 0.00 Votes: 0
rate this

Modding an original Xbox

Starter: Punly Posted: 14 years ago Views: 1.5K
  • Goto:
Lvl 27
So here's the deal...I'm thinking about modding my old ass original Xbox into a computer/some sort of server. I know all about how to do it, and know the pros and cons of hard versus soft modding, and the restrictions each of them bring to the table.

After debating the differences, I think I would rather do the hardmod method, which requires actually opening the system up(which I have already done) and doing some soldering. Now that's where the problem comes in...I've done soldering, but it was in school when I was like 12. That was almost 11 years ago.

My question is, has anyone around here actually done either of the mods, and how hard are they really? From all that I have read, I don't foresee this being a problem at all, it sounds rather easy, but then again, anything can sound easy when the person explaining it knows all about it and knows what all components are.

So how hard is this really?
Lvl 25
Went the softmod route, took fifteen minutes.

Loaded up with emulators, and plays backups no problem.
Lvl 19
I have the MechAssault game and the modded 1.1 with linux and I haven't booted it up in a long time.

once you fashion yourself a usb adapter for a keyboard and get the game, there is nothing too difficult.
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanzen

Went the softmod route, took fifteen minutes.

Loaded up with emulators, and plays backups no problem.

did you put linux on it as well? I just read that one of the cons for the softmod is that it takes longer than the hardmod.

I just hope finding and making parts for this won't be a problem. One of the reasons I want to do a hard mod is so I can upgrade the hard drive, and possibly the DVD drive. Again, from what I have read, you can't upgrade those things by only going the hardware route. Any validity in that?
Lvl 25
Quote:
Originally posted by <blink>Punly</blink>

did you put linux on it as well? I just read that one of the cons for the softmod is that it takes longer than the hardmod.

I just hope finding and making parts for this won't be a problem. One of the reasons I want to do a hard mod is so I can upgrade the hard drive, and possibly the DVD drive. Again, from what I have read, you can't upgrade those things by only going the hardware route. Any validity in that?

Not Desktop Linux, just Xbox Linux and then XBMC. I didn't bother to do any hardware upgrades because, I just serve everything from FTP over my fat network pipe. Solves issues of syncing and such.
Lvl 6
I have a fat network pipe.

Know what I mean?

*nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*
Lvl 25
Quote:
Originally posted by BrahglesHorsecockPhD

Know what I mean?

1Gbp Cat5e/6 cables to a 1Gbp router.
Lvl 28
Quote:
Originally posted by BrahglesHorsecockPhD

Know what I mean?

I just went from six to midnight.
Lvl 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_X

I just went from six to midnight.

That kind of shit used to really burn my ass when I was on teh dialupz!!

Lvl 6
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanzen

1Gbp Cat5e/6 cables to a 1Gbp router.

Umm...

If that's what black people call a big penis, then yes.
Lvl 27
Which software method do you prefer? I have read a bunch of different version, with different memory cards and flash drives, different programs, different games to load into the OS.

I have 2 original controllers, a memory unit, extra USB cords or I could fashion some sort of adapter if need be. I do not have an Action replay(also heard there is a mad catz version of the Action Replay but cant remember the name of it) nor do I have any of the three games I've heard work: Splinter Cell, MechAssault, or Agent Under Fire(I have SC and AUF for PS2, but not for the Xbox).
Lvl 18
I've never opened up an xbox but it can't be all that bad. Although I do hate soldering any kind of circuitry stuff because it's all so fucking small and I don't have tiny girly hands for working with such teeny tiny crap.

I just fixed my brother in laws PS3 from the "yellow light of death" crap about a month ago. I was terrified opening that thing up. Fixed it though but that only lasted about a month. It's broke again and he's gonna bring it over sometime soon for me to try again.
Lvl 19
as it hasnt been said explicitly... the hardmod voids the warranty altho in these cases it doesnt matter. you can "undo" the softmod if you make use of the option to backup the original data.

most uses for the hackbox are for the media streaming server, and 10/100 network will work fine for that.
Lvl 6
I modded my Xbox years ago. Put a Xecuter mod chip in which was a breeze. You can solder the pins in which i did and prefer, but
they do have a solder less option as well. I can play backups, emulators but mostly use it as a media center. I have it in the living room
and I put tv shows and movies on it for me and the woman to watch.
Lvl 27
Does anyone have a good set of steps to follow? I've read so many of them, and while part of one might be good, the second half of it might make no sense or be too hard to find or make parts for. :\

Post em' up boys.
Lvl 18
Quote:
Originally posted by puck3423

as it hasnt been said explicitly... the hardmod voids the warranty

Can you even still buy a new original xbox with warranty? I can't remember the last time I saw one in a store so the warranty thing may not be too big of a deal considering all the warranties have probably expired anyway.
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by puck3423

as it hasnt been said explicitly... the hardmod voids the warranty

Well, I've had my Xbox since 2001 when it game out. I can't imagine anything happening that 1) I would turn to them for, and 2) that this warranty has lasted 9 years. I'm sure that warranty was gone 3 months after I got the damn thing.

Besides, you void the warranty as soon as you open the case up, which I had done a few weeks back already.
Lvl 19
here is what I used: http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Software_Method_HOWTO

Just make sure you buy the MechAssault version that is Original. I had to go through about 20 discs at GameStop looking for the right disc ID number, that was the hardest part. You also have to buy/find a USB female plug to splice into a controller cable to boot off the USB and if you want a keyboard to use.
Lvl 27
What about upgrading the hard drive? What would I have to do to do that? Again, there are so many contridicting stories on this, I'm not sure which to believe. I've read that you can't upgrade unless you do a hardware form of the mod. Then I just now read that you can do it with either a hard or softmod, just make sure sure you have an updated BIOS.

Any help with this one guys?
Lvl 27
bamp.
  • Goto: