Score: 0.00 Votes: 0
rate this

Meatball Sub...

Starter: DEMO Posted: 13 years ago Views: 2.1K
  • Goto:
Lvl 27
Ok, so I've got a hankering for a big ol meatball sub, but I'm at a loss for a good sauce to cook them in...

If anyone has a good homemade recipe for sauce that they really like I'd be much obliged

I'm planning on cooking them in the crock pot if that makes a bit of difference to anyone...

NaughtyGypsy where are you
Its not entirely home made, but my spaghetti sauce is pretty yummy.

1) jar/canof pasta sauce
1) small can of condensed tomato soup
1) can of crushed tomatoes
1) red, yellow, or orange bell pepper chopped
1) clove of garlic finely chopped
fresh or dried oregano to taste
salt and pepper to taste

If I'm making spaghetti sauce then I would add all the above to a pound of browned ground beef or turkey. But for a meatball sub you could just cook the meatballs in it in a crock pot.
Lvl 27
Tomato soup, interesting
Lvl 29
This is good, for jar sauce!!
Lvl 27
Never tried that RD, for jar sauce I usually use Mid's, its made in Navarre which is only a hop skip and a jump from where I live, its a bit pricey but pretty darn tasty...
Lvl 25
PASTA PIE,

The Sauce from my favourite pasta pie is just the absolute best.

Serves: 10 it freezes well.

* 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I used 95%lean and it was fine)
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
* 1 cup breadcrumbs
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 3 eggs
* 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
* 3 cups cooked tubetti (tiny tubes or baby shells)
* 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
* 1/2 lb provolone cheese, shredded
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 4 minced garlic cloves
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 56 ounces crushed tomatoes in puree
* 24 ounces tomato paste
* 20 ounces water
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 cup fresh basil leaf, torn
* 2 ounces romano cheese
* parmesan cheese, for garnish

Directions:

Prep Time: 35 mins

Total Time: 3 3/4 hrs

1 Read directions all the way through first********* Meat Crust: Mix ground beef, parsley, bread crumbs, onion, eggs, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl very gently.
2 Do not overmix.
3 Put mixture into lightly greased 10-inch pie plate or 11" x 7" casserole dish.
4 Shape crust so that it's about 1" thick.
5 Tomato Basil Sauce:.
6 In large pot, cook garlic and red pepper flakes in oil on low heat for 4 minutes only.
7 Add tomatoes, paste, water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, sugar and basil leaves.
8 Bring to boil.
9 Reduce to low heat.
10 Add chunk of Romano cheese and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
11 Filling:.
12 Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
13 Mix the filling (3 cups cooked pasta, 1/2 pound mozzarella, 1/2 pound provolone, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 2 cups tomato basil sauce) in a bowl.
14 Scoop into meat crust.
15 Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
16 Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
17 Top each slice with tomato basil sauce fresh tomato slices and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Quote:
Originally posted by Demodad68

Tomato soup, interesting

It kinda adds a bit of creaminess to it.
Lvl 27
@ brit - That sounds tasty mate, may have to try the entire thing sometime

@ SP - A creamy sauce for a meatball sub might just work
Lvl 13
when it comes to jar sauce, I agree that Classico makes the best nationally available one. I use it in a ppinch when I make involved stuff like chicken parm, etc. for a homemade sauce....

2 tbs minced garlic and 1 medium onin chipped, along with one can well drained mushrooms (optional)
soften in 1 tbs olive oil NOT EVOO!!! (NEVER ever heat evoo!)

remove aromatics and set aside. Brown meat of choice and drain.

return aromatics to pan and stir in one regular sized can of tomato paste. (preferably the garlic one if available)

Add one LARGE can crushed tomatoes and one regular size can of diced tomatoes. (again, garlic and onion are your friend)

You are now ready to transfer this "raw" sauce to the crock pot. Add salt. pepper and dried italian seasoning to taste. 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp of sugar to cut acidity and add the meatballs to soak up the sauce. Leave it on low heat up to 10 hours and get nice crusty rolls to serve on. My special trick is to line the bottom of the split rolls with a slice of provolone cheese to prevent the fall apart issue. Add meatballs and sauce, top with parm as desired and enjoy the yummy.
Lvl 27
Thats what I'm talking bout NG

Thanks darlin
Lvl 13
Have I mentioned my STUFFED meatballs? I think they might have a large part in why I have this shiny thing on my finger... lol
Lvl 27
Ummmm, NOOO, but please. do tell
Lvl 13
Regular meatball mixture. Just, when you go to make the balls, you push a hole in with your thumb and stuff in a cube of mozz and a 1/4 tsp of minced garlic and seal the meatball. bake at 350 for 25 minutes, then add to sauce to finish cooking. Those and sweet italian sausages with my homemade stuffed shells... Shit... I'M drooling. :p
Lvl 29
Quote:
Originally posted by NaughtyGypsy

Regular meatball mixture. Just, when you go to make the balls, you push a hole in with your thumb and stuff in a cube of mozz and a 1/4 tsp of minced garlic and seal the meatball. bake at 350 for 25 minutes, then add to sauce to finish cooking. Those and sweet italian sausages with my homemade stuffed shells... Shit... I'M drooling. :p

Hell yes!! A big loaf of garlic bread too!! And tiramisu for desert!!

Lvl 13
RD's got the lock on my menu already! You been peaking in my kitchen window again?
Lvl 27
NG, care to come over and make me dinner, I'm drooling here now also

RD, that sounds great to finish things off man
Lvl 13
Come to the wedding. Meat and I are doing our own catering. I'm doing a huge pot of the meatballs and sausages, 2 trays of shells, 2 trays of lasagna, a dozen loaves of garlic bread and salad, and Meat is making chicken enchiladas and big pots of beans and rice. Vegetarians will be required to bring their own food. Sorry.
* This post has been modified : 13 years ago
Lvl 27
You have salad on the menu, that should do the vegetarians ok

I just love me some meatballs and sausage
Lvl 13
Salad won't work for them, either. I roll salami and provolone and slice it into the salad... I'm such a meat addict, it's bad, really...
Lvl 27
Nothing wrong with being a meat addict, dinner just isn't dinner without some sort of dead animal being involved
  • Goto: