Score: 4.00 Votes: 1
rate this

Laptop Power Problem

Starter: Punly Posted: 15 years ago Views: 622
Lvl 28
Hey guys, got a problem with powering up a laptop. I'm working on a laptop for someone, and the problem that they are having with it is that when you press the power button, nothing happpens.

Lets go through the background of how we got here. The laptop was running on the AC adapter while some software was being installed from a disc, and then the adapter got knocked out, so it was running solely on battery power. A few minutes later, the laptop went into hibernate mode. I'm not sure if it was because there was no activity on the computer and the power options set it to cut off, or if it was because the power reached such a low, that it had to cut off.

So now, when you plug it in and have the battery in place hit power, the little charging light on the front of the computer flashes, which I think means that there is battery power, but not enough to power the system. If you remove the battery, and run it only on AC power, the light does not flash when power is pressed.

Just to add to it, if you have it only on battery, the light flashes when power is pressed.

I have tried removing the battery and the charger for a long while and then trying it with only the adapter and then only with the battery to no avail.

The system is a Compaq Presario V4005CL. I have tried all that I can think of. I know that the outlets I have used work, I have tried the hard reset method(detailed above) I have tried a different AC adapter which I know for sure works...I'm not sure if there is anything else I can try. All I can think at this point is that the power supply on the laptop has gone bad, possibly from one of the recent thunder storms we have had around here lately.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, I am all ears and willing to try.
* This post has been modified : 14 years ago
Lvl 21
sounds like it needs a new battery
Lvl 23
Could be charger or the system board. I would look for a charger on eBay (I saw some for $16.99), because if its the system board its not likely worth fixing.
Lvl 28
Quote:
Originally posted by ElSocal

Could be charger or the system board. I would look for a charger on eBay (I saw some for $16.99), because if its the system board its not likely worth fixing.

It's not the charger. I know that for sure.

Quote:
The system is a Compaq Presario V4005CL. I have tried all that I can think of. I know that the outlets I have used work, I have tried the hard reset method(detailed above) I have tried a different AC adapter which I know for sure works

I was afraid that it would be something like the board needing to be replaced, but I was hoping that there would be something else to try out.

Damn.
My first guess is that the power jack on the mobo is afu.I have had several customers with the same issue. I have had to go in with a soldering iron and "attempt" to fix the jack where it mates with the mobo. Eventually it breaks for good and the mobo needs to be replaced.
Lvl 11
Try checking the user manual here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=461830&) and figure out exactly what that light means.

Based on my experience I would conquer with evilone.

I used to work in a battery shop that had a Cadence machine for testing and conditioning batteries. Some laptop batteries that don't have too much internal circuitry can be hooked up to a cadence machine or (high end charger) and be tested/reconditioned. If there is somewhere near you that sells security system batteries or rebuilds drill batteries, they might be able to test the battery for ~20$.

The following is a bit of a side note:
Was someone actually there when it went into hibernation? How do you know it went into hibernation? And how healthy was the battery?

I ask because I have a laptop here that my roommate was using with a very dead battery (would only keep the computer running 5 minutes at a time). They just kept it plugged in all the time. Eventually the battery shorted and took the motherboard with it. Obviously this scenario shouldn't happen if the battery was in reasonable health and the machine actually made it into hibernation.
Lvl 28
Yeah, someone was using the computer when it all went down, that's how I know that it went into hibernation. I think the battery was in fairly good health. I'm already pretty possitive that the motherboard was fucked during the storm. I spoke with this guy that runs a computer repair shop around here, and he said the same thing. Based on what happens, he completely agrees that it's a motherboard problem.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I will let them know what I have found so far.
Lvl 22
I know nothing about computers,I do however know about electicals .
Was the battery charging?
If it was when the charger got unplugged there is a voltage spike that can cause damage!

It's because the bat. is way above normal volts and the surge back feeds past the protection diode.

(this is not spam)
So what was the final verdict on this Punly?
Lvl 28
I was pretty sure that the motherboard was fried, and I was just holding onto a small glimmer of hope that it wasn't. It was, so she just got a new computer, and insurance is supposed to be covering the damaged one.
Thanks..I was just curious.