Score: 4.86 Votes: 7
rate this

its just a peice of spam.

Starter: Kanzen Posted: 11 years ago Views: 31.7K
  • Goto:
Lvl 59
Also, this is a fun little thought experiment: Things that would happen if all oxygen were removed from the atmosphere for 5 seconds...

Everyone at the beach would get sunburns. Ozone is molecular oxygen and blocks the majority of UV light. Without it, we are toast.

The daytime sky would get darker. With fewer particles in the atmosphere to scatter blue light, the sky would get a bit less blue and a bit more black.

Every internal combustion engine would stall. This means that every airplane taking off from a runway would likely crash to the ground, while planes in flight could glide for some time.

All pieces of untreated metal would instantly spot-weld to one another. This is one of the more interesting side effects. The reason metals don't weld on contact is they are coated in a layer of oxidation. In vacuum conditions, metal welds without any intermediate liquid phase (Cold welding).

Everyone's inner ear would explode. As mentioned, we would lose about 21 percent of the air pressure in an instant, equivalent to being teleported to the top of the high Andes (elevation, about 2,000 meters).

Every building made out of concrete would turn to dust. Oxygen is an important binder in concrete structures (really, the CO2 is), and without it, the compounds do not hold their rigidity.

Every living cell would explode in a haze of hydrogen gas. Water is one third oxygen; without it, the hydrogen turns into gaseous state and expands in volume.

The oceans would evaporate and bleed into space. As oxygen disappears from the oceans' water, the hydrogen component becomes an unbound free gas. Hydrogen gas, being the lightest, will rise to the upper troposphere and slowly bleed into space through Atmospheric escape.

Everything above ground would immediately go into free fall. As oxygen makes up about 45 percent of the Earth's crust and mantle, there is suddenly a lot less "stuff" beneath your feet to hold everything up.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/03/19/what_would_happen_if_oxygen_were_to_disappear_for_5_seconds.html
* This post has been modified : 11 years ago
Thank you...now I can look smart tomorrow.
Lvl 27
I and can have yet another thing to add to my list of being paranoid about
Lvl 8
Lindros is a bacon hipster. He liked it before it became cool.

My city gets flooded by thousands of Canadian snowbirds every winter so there are a bunch of restaurants that cater to them. I wasn't crazy about poutine when I tried it though.
Quote:
Originally posted by Davey45
Lindros is a bacon hipster. He liked it before it became cool.

My city gets flooded by thousands of Canadian snowbirds every winter so there are a bunch of restaurants that cater to them. I wasn't crazy about poutine when I tried it though.

[youtube]DSscaLdO4l4[/youtube]
Lvl 21
All those lack of oxygen nightmares aside, you'd better get an assistant or you will starve to death.
Lvl 59
Holy crap I had forgotten how heavy old CRT TVs are until I just had to move one down a few flights of stairs.

Like carrying a brick of Copernicium
Lvl 27
Or, like carrying a large clay brick...
Lvl 27
Beck's Sapphire, not a bad beer, in fact, it's pretty tasty...

But.

Budweiser Black Crown is better, in my humble drunken opinion, I'm actually not really drunk, a bit maybe, but not really...

Pink stars, green clovers, and some color of diamond thing, I like Lucky Charms, very tasty me thinks
Lvl 59
Weird. I lost 32 votes today.
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by EricLindros

must be the new similar picture deal when modding pics
Lvl 59
Hrm..
Lvl 71
Quote:
Originally posted by EricLindros

That's what happens when you stop posting interesting news. People stop voting for you
Lvl 24
Kix Brooks "Complete 360"

I do like whiskey. Good song. Feel like I'll be listening to it a lot.
Lvl 20
Have I gone bonkers or does it no longer show # of posts made here? How can you tell who the coolest people are, then?
Lvl 59
If you click on the profile of the person you can see how many posts they have, but that number isn't in the little avatar area anymore, I guess.
Lvl 20
That requires effort. I'm greatly saddened by this.
Lvl 27
I'm the coolest...

No one else matters
Lvl 20
I don't think you're being sincere, but I'll believe you, since it's easier than worrying about who actually is the coolest.

I still want # of posts under avatars, though.
Lvl 27
Would you believe I'm the biggest pain in the a*%

And yeah, I miss the number of posts thingy
  • Goto: