Score: 5.00 Votes: 1
rate this

Free virus protection programs: worth the risk versus the ones you pay for?

Starter: nightowl613 Posted: 13 years ago Views: 3.4K
  • Goto:
Lvl 12
I got a new computer that came with Norton virus protection installed on it. I use this computer exclusively in public using wifi, so it really needs good protection. I am about to pay for the Norton since it's about to expire. Whether or not it's the best, I am inclined to pay for it since, well, it's been proven to be working well. I am not taking any chances if I pay for it and keep using it. It has saved me from a Trojan horse or two. Do free virus protection programs protect against those as well as viruses? Do TH's even count as viruses? Take that into consideration when I ask....

.....should I take the advice of seemingly everyone I know and start using one of the many free virus protection programs out there? This is not an area where even I want to go cheap if it'll possibly cost me dearly later, but they say they're pretty good and I am willing to look into them. But if this computer gets so much as one damn line of a virus in it, I am not going to be able to afford to have it fixed. My opinion is that since a properly written and researched security program is worth the money, why would anyone write and give one away for free if theirs is worth a damn? Every freeware program I have ever downloaded from the net was free for a reason, if you get my meaning. Plus Norton has uninstall and defragment utilities built into it. It's also constantly updated. Without that uninstaller, getting entirely rid of a Windows program takes a fucking act of Congress. Your advice or recommendations? Please hurry, the Norton trial is up in two days!

Thanks
Been using AVG Free for many years on several PCs and never had an issue.
Lvl 12
I have to agree about AVG. It works like a clock. I recently installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my netbook- works great too and it's even lighter.
Lvl 22
Ditto, i use AVG as well on 3 different computers my office laptop/desktop and my alienware pc in the family room. I have never had a problem with any of them.
Lvl 6
Yes AVG 100% but also install other stuff to help cover your computer like Ad-Ware and Spybot Search & Destroy and are all free downloads
Lvl 5
AVG is tops, but for the best ad ware remover, use http://www.malwarebytes.org/
This took my computer from frozen mollasses to hot butter smooth
I been using AVG for years now and it's always been reliable to protect my computer from viruses. I also take extra measures and use zonealarm firewall and malwarebytes to prevent adware, malicious cookies etc

Microsoft Security Essentials is very nice too, my friend has it on her computer and it's done a very good job too.
Lvl 18
Avira is excellent but can slow things down when on the net. Kaspersky - excellent. Avoid Bullguard for now. I have Bullguard and it's not without hiccups. Version 8 (8.7) was excellent but the new version, version 9 - seems to conflict with everything, usually after an update patch.
Lvl 13
AVG Free is pretty good but it also is notorious for false positives. Avast seems to do just as good of a job but doesn't flag every other file on the internet as a virus. The new Microsoft Security Essentials seems like a decent choice too, although I haven't used it much yet.
Lvl 6
I've used Norton (symantec). I think it sucks. I've used several free programs and each one was better than Norton. I am using McAfee now. It is better than Norton and most free programs. I also have a double router for extra protection. If your using a DSL or Cable modem, you may want to get a router hooked up to your modem.
Lvl 5
AVG for anti-virus is hard to beat and Piriform CC Cleaner to tidy things up and remove programmes etc. You honestly can't go wrong with thes two.
Lvl 21
Im using AVIRA AV ANTIVIR for since many years. It's free for non comercial usage. You can get an update every day. So it's up to date all the time.
This guard made a better job than AVG, I tested before.
Lvl 27
Personally, I haven't been a big fan on Norton for a while now. They were top back in the day when there were like 3 companies out with antivirus programs, but now that there are enless companies, they are lackluster at best.

My buddy has Norton 360 installed at the moment, and still somehow was infected with a simple, yet irritating virus. Never detected a thing. I've tried explaining this to him. He's stuck in the past thinking that Norton is one of the best ones out there, when in reality, it absolutely is not.

As for your question, the reason that free programs(also smaller ones that aren't from huge corporations) is because the people who create viruses create them to get though the vast majority of antivirus scanners. They're working to get though the Nortons, and the McAfees, and similar. Smaller companies are often better, although, there is a catch, when you go with a company that is too small, they are unable to keep their product as up to date as other manufacturers are, which means that you run the risk of getting things that other companies are able to block. This can be from a lack of funds or even just a lack of coders.

I can't tell you how many small antivirus companies that I have checked out sites for who say they are looking to hire coders every time you check the site.
ccleaner.com is a registry cleaner that will pull all your history off as well as trojans, spyware, malware etc. Get the free version - I have it on all of our systems
Lvl 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Titsout4theLads

AVG is tops, but for the best ad ware remover, use[ Link ]
This took my computer from frozen mollasses to hot butter smooth

I agree, you need to back up your AV software if using a free solution with at least 1 anti malware program.
My favorite is http://www.malwarebytes.org as Titsout4theLads also suggest, another good one is http://www.superantispyware.com

For best free AV software i pefer Avast before AVG. tho the user interface of avast is a bit "messy" but it can be fixed with user created skins, that you can download from their site aswell.

Edit : and a word of advice, stay away from norton/symantic products, sadly they tend up to make a bigger mess than they fix, had a part time job in a compurter firm some time ago, and we actually considered norton as a virus.

if you want the best AV Program on the market atm, i think you should get Kaspersky, it costs around $39.95
Lvl 7
I find that the best anti-virus solution is linux, but if you feel you must run Windows, I swear by the combination of Avira, Spybot Search & Destroy, and CCleaner, as others above have suggested. They all run updates automatically, and I have never been infected by a virus on my Windows machine. I did make the mistake, once, of installing Google Desktop on my Mac, and it took an act of god and booting into the console to get that fucker off of my system.
Lvl 5
I am a computer network and security college graduate. I personally use Avast! Antivirus, but have nothing against AVG. Free virus protection is the way to go, but it's all in how you browse the internet that will keep you virus free. Check out Firefox with NoScript...thats a safe way to browse
Lvl 5
Quote:
Originally posted by dralokyn

I find that the best anti-virus solution is linux, but if you feel you must run Windows, I swear by the combination of Avira, Spybot Search & Destroy, and CCleaner, as others above have suggested. They all run updates automatically, and I have never been infected by a virus on my Windows machine. I did make the mistake, once, of installing Google Desktop on my Mac, and it took an act of god and booting into the console to get that fucker off of my system.

Right on I use linux daily and win7 every now & then
Lvl 14
Quote:
Originally posted by rancidguy

[snap] Free virus protection is the way to go [/snap]

I really have to disagree here...

a lot of the free AV programs, if not all, are lacking rootkit detection
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit ) .
I am a big fan of free software my self, but if there are 1 kind of software i suggest buying it is Antivirus / internet security, what you spend on expensive hardware dosnt matter if you are infected and cant use the hardware at its optimal preformance or the infection destroys your hardware (and yes it can).. [/b]
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by roark

ccleaner.com is a registry cleaner that will pull all your history off as well as trojans, spyware, malware etc. Get the free version - I have it on all of our systems

CCleaner DOES NOT remove trojans/spyware/malware. Is is a junk file cleaner. Yes it does scan the registry, but it scans for errors and dead entries which are no longer in use.

If you are using this for system protection, seriously look into something else to accomplish this task, cause CCleaner doesn.
  • Goto: