Score: 0.00 Votes: 0
rate this

Dead Motherboard

Starter: Punly Posted: 14 years ago Views: 933
Lvl 27
Long story short, the instructions with my new case were horrible, and some power pins to the motherboard were hooked up incorrectly.

I have a new power supply, straight from the manufacturer, so I know that works, but the mobo is dead.

I'm looking for a new motherboard now, so any suggestions on one?

My system specs/requirements are:

× AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
× Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (need 4X 240 pin slots for future upgrades)
× Will be running a 64 bit OS of some sort once its up and running. Prolly Windows 7, or Ubuntu/Kubuntu.
× DIAMOND Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit 1GB GDDR5(need 1 pci express x16 slot)
× 2 Optical drives(needs to have 2 IDE connections for this part)
× 2 IDE Hard Drives (another 2 IDE connections, if possible)
× 1 SATA Hard Drive (needs 1 SATA connection on mobo)

Those are the main things I need. I would love for it to have other features, of course, but those are my main requirements. I don't want to upgrade/switch up any other hardware/parts. I'm happy with the setup I have, just need to swap out the motherboard, and I'll be good.

I already have a few from newegg in mind, but thought I would take suggestions here first to compare.:P
Lvl 19
anyone want to start a pool wagering on how long it will take some to say "get a Mac"?
Lvl 14
Get a mac...erm..i mean...not long?!

hehe...
Lvl 21
eh. sry, no help here this is all over my head

my computer shit the bed and i cant even fix that
Lvl 27
I think I have one that I'll go with. Still would love to read any suggestions that anyone has.
Lvl 37
Quote:
Originally posted by BillK

anyone want to start a pool wagering on how long it will take some to say "get a Mac"?

Only a hippie would say that!

I am reminded of the commercial years ago... "Dude, you're getting a Dell!" I got one, and I am happy with it. 1 TB of internal hard drive space... plus the 350 GB of external drive space... Not too happy with Vista, but I have heard that Windows 7 will be better.
Lvl 21
Quote:
Originally posted by RogueLeader

Only a hippie would say that!

haha

i wanna mac... btw im no hippie
Lvl 25
I would suggest either the MSI K9A2 Platinum (if you can find it) or the Asus M3A32-MVP (don't bother with the wireless version).
Lvl 11
windows 7 is very different from vista or xp even. its an ok system, but really for the least amount of quirks if you are going to use windows i find xp is the best, even though im running vista most times atm. (have both + windows 7 on another computer)

macs are best for people into music or photos or video or business work. pcs typically for compatibility and computer illiterates and gaming.

linux is alright but i needed a lot of help from a friend making anything compatible with it when i ran that...
Lvl 24
Quote:
Originally posted by jenngurl23

windows 7 is very different from vista or xp even. its an ok system, but really for the least amount of quirks if you are going to use windows i find xp is the best, even though im running vista most times atm. (have both + windows 7 on another computer)

macs are best for people into music or photos or video or business work. pcs typically for compatibility and computer illiterates and gaming.

linux is alright but i needed a lot of help from a friend making anything compatible with it when i ran that...

*sees Jenn post*

*Sends friend request and dirty PMs*
Lvl 11
rofl shut up <3 i TOLD you i posted here.
Lvl 24
Oh, so, you wanted the dirty PMs then?
Sneaky little minx.

Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanzen

I would suggest either the MSI K9A2 Platinum (if you can find it) or the Asus M3A32-MVP (don't bother with the wireless version).

I checked for both of those, and wasn't able to come up with anything. They are both dead items on the few sites I looked at.

I did find one that was decent. I'm going to try to RMA my first one, if I can. If anyone needs a board which fits what I was talking about, let me know, I might have an extra one to sell. :P
Lvl 27
New one comes today.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. Maybe I'll be able to get online with it tonight.
Lvl 27
I just got my motherboard installed, and everything works fine, other than the DVD and CD drives. I couldn't get them to work at all, then had the idea to remove the IDE cable, and just leave the power cable plugged in. Now it powers on with the rest of the computer, ejects and all that good stuff.

I have tried 3 separate IDE cables, and I get the same result each time. Not to mention, I have tried it on two separate optical drives, and a couple of hard drives; have the same result each time.

I have IDE enabled in the BIOS, and it would allow it to power up with IDE to SATA converters I had...unfortunately, they are no longer working.

Does anyone have an idea of what to try? I've looked all around online for a solution, and I can't find anything at all. I haven't ever heard of this sorta thing happening either. Ideas?
Lvl 27
bump
Lvl 5
Quote:
Originally posted by Punly

I just got my motherboard installed, and everything works fine, other than the DVD and CD drives. I couldn't get them to work at all, then had the idea to remove the IDE cable, and just leave the power cable plugged in. Now it powers on with the rest of the computer, ejects and all that good stuff.

I have tried 3 separate IDE cables, and I get the same result each time. Not to mention, I have tried it on two separate optical drives, and a couple of hard drives; have the same result each time.

I have IDE enabled in the BIOS, and it would allow it to power up with IDE to SATA converters I had...unfortunately, they are no longer working.

Does anyone have an idea of what to try? I've looked all around online for a solution, and I can't find anything at all. I haven't ever heard of this sorta thing happening either. Ideas?

Make sure the jumpers are set correctly on the drives you have plugged into the IDE cable, you need to have one set as Master and one set as Slave (ignore the CS-Cable Select option Master/Slave is more failproof).