Score: 4.00 Votes: 1
rate this

damsel in distress part 2.. windows 7.

Starter: [Deleted] Posted: 12 years ago Views: 3.8K
  • Goto:
hi! sooo. i have a problem, and anyone willing to help me would be a life saver, and trust me i've googled like crazy to find help but i can't find what i'm looking for. so on my family computer, a windows, i think it was XP before, my sisters friend got a virus on it, and instead of taking to to get fixed, my boyfriend gave me his windows 7 CD to install and just change it to windows 7 to get the computer up and working, so it was working fine for a long time, and then all the sudden it crashed saying "please put in CD for windows startup options" or something, so i he let me borrow it again and now i'm trying to do it now, but i'm so confused. i tried installing it, and now it says "a required cd dvd drive device is missing. if you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

but i have no clue what driver i even need?

now if i exit off that and try something else "repair your computer" all these pop ups come up with something different "the file or directory _____ i corrupt and unreadable. please run chkdsk utility.

so... what do i do? is the computer beyond repair?
Lvl 27
I'd like to help, but I haven't a clue babe...
bump right before i go to bed?
There actually is nothing wrong with your computer except it has a bad virus on it, all you have to do is get an antivirus software working on the computer which is pretty hard to do, you need to find the corrupt file source and supress it bc the virus is programed to detect the use of antivirus and it will send a bunch of pop ups to your screen, I forget what the name of the virus is but pull up your computer task manager when one of those popups come up and see what the name of the program is that supports that popup and google it the instructions to suppress it should be easy to find and once you get the antivirus working it will be fixed I suggest using norton 360. Good luck!
Lvl 16
It sounds like some of the files that Windows uses are corrupt of missing. This could be due to something minor or something major.

Minor: Power fluctuation that corrupted working memory or directory.
To repair, you can turn off your computer and unplug it (if it's a laptop, also remove the battery). Let the system sit for 10-20 minutes to completely drain the capcitors and registers, then plug it back in and turn it on.

Major: System file corruption
To repair, run the repair option fro the disk that your friend gave you. Boot the CD (he may be able to help you do that) and run Start-up repair. That should fix any files that have been damaged. A virus can do that, but I don't think that's your problem.

Major: Hard drive is failing.
To repair, go buy another hard drive and use the disk your friend gave you to install Windows 7 on the new drive, then re-install everything else that you use, and then copy the data from the old hard drive to the new one.

If you can boot into windows, go into My Computer, right click on your hard drive and go to Properties. Go tot the Tools tab, and select CHeck Now button under Error checking. On the box that comes up, check both boxes and hit OK. A message will come up telling you that the system needs to reboot to do this (do you want to schedule this to occur at next reboot) - say Yes and then restart your computer. The system will then run checkdisk (Chkdsk) when it reboots (it could take a long time to run), and will scan the disk for damage as well as try to recover any data from those sections that it can. This could fix your problem as well, but it's just slightly better than 50/50 with correcting problems with bad drive sectors.
Id try System Recovery maybe anti virus program Or seriously trash it and buy new.
Quote:
Originally posted by Icecoldpussy

There actually is nothing wrong with your computer except it has a bad virus on it, all you have to do is get an antivirus software working on the computer which is pretty hard to do, you need to find the corrupt file source and supress it bc the virus is programed to detect the use of antivirus and it will send a bunch of pop ups to your screen, I forget what the name of the virus is but pull up your computer task manager when one of those popups come up and see what the name of the program is that supports that popup and google it the instructions to suppress it should be easy to find and once you get the antivirus working it will be fixed I suggest using norton 360. Good luck!
wait how do i run a anti virus if i can't even get pass this stage part?
Lvl 13
Press escape when you start your computer up. (before your os starts up fully) then it will give you the option to run windows in 'safe' mode. from safe mode you should be able to run most of your programs including antivirus. If that doesnt work, just set your computer to boot from a disk first instead of your hard drive and then re install / run the windows 7 installation disk that you have. It sounds like your os files have been corrupted, could be a virus or anything really.
Lvl 13
fuck sake - i just gave you this long explanation of what to do and it is not displaying. wtf? Kaspersky antivirus is the one i would go for!
Lvl 8
When you get it running again use AVG in conjunction with malwarebytes anti-malware and keep a spybot in the background and updated for occasional checks.
Lvl 5
Scan????? then go to management if no DVD driver go to realtek and download driver for your system and run. A good free anti-virus Avast works for me.
yeah safe mode isn't working

i guess this computer is byebye.
Lvl 4
If the machine wont boot from CD or even recognize that there is a bootable CD in the drive then you are going to need professional help. If the hardware is only a couple of years old you shouldnt need to spend the $ to replace it but just get Windows 7 installed with Microsoft Security Essentials and malwarebytes. Run scans weekly as there is not an antivirus program in the world that can stop winantivirus from getting on your machine! Win antivirus gets updated up to twice weekly so the companies cant keep up.
And BTW I am not a basement geek, I do this as a profession.
no, it knows that the CD is in there now and it boots up and takes me to where to select the language then i try to install it and it says i need something else. smae thing when i try to repair it
Lvl 4
Sounds like a scratched CD! What is it that it is saying that you need? a file? Might be looking for controller drivers.
its saying i need another driver but i don't know what driver.
Lvl 4
Doesnt sound good Ramsann.
Lvl 3
You need to reinstall Windows from scratch after scanning the machine for MalWare. I'll find a bootable MalWare scanner for you and email a weblink. Be patient. I hope to get at this within 24 hours.

Bill
how do i reinstall it from scratch though?? and okay. thanks!
Lvl 4
hirens disc will clean the machine
  • Goto: