Score: 0.00 Votes: 0
rate this

stupid car question

Starter: rainbowdemon Posted: 17 years ago Views: 1.9K
  • Goto:
Lvl 9
sorry man got no idea, it was 44 Deg (cel) here today, hot as fuck ! !
* This post has been modified : 17 years ago
Lvl 29
Quote:
Originally posted by HighGuy

[reply=rainbowdemon]
Is there some way this can be prevented?

Move somewhere warmer.
[/reply]

That would be the best way!!

Quote:
it was 44 Deg (cel) here today, hot as fuck ! !

Lvl 21
ops
Lvl 7
Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowdemon

Tried a hair dryer, but I nearly froze my nuts off doing it!!

use two hair dryer's, one for the door and the other for your balls
Lvl 19
Quote:
Originally posted by HondaFour

Silicone is the answer. - spray it on the rubber that goes round the doors. simple as that.

Wow, it's a fucking echo in here.
Lvl 23
Wow, it's a fucking echo in here.
Lvl 9
all this talk about cold weather makes me feel good, keep it up ! !

It's 12.47 am here and still 32 deg (c)
Lvl 14
after having to crawl through the trunk many times in my car i just put some KY jelly on the doors it was below -20 degrees last week doors opend but car didnt start..... and it doesnt wreck paint smell bad or stain your clothes!
Lvl 16
RD I have the easiest solution if you plan on keeping the car for a while, and don't mind spending a few bucks.

My car also has the same easy to freeze problems (98 Lumina - Damn Chevys ), anyway get a remote starter installed. I got a remote/alarm combo $275 installed. When I park my car for the evening I leave the defroster set on full blast. This also saves on windshield, and window scraping.

I keep my keys on my night stand, and when the alarm goes off I pick up the fob - start the car, and hit the snooze button.

Mine also has a setting that if the start button is pushed accidentally (which has happened a time or two), it will only run for 20 minutes before shutting off.
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Daggett

RD I have the easiest solution if you plan on keeping the car for a while, and dont mind spending a few bucks.

My car also has the same easy to freeze problems (98 Lumina - Damn Chevys ), anyway get a remote starter installed. I got a remote/alarm combo $275 installed. When I park my car for the evening I leave the defroster set on full blast. This also saves on windshield, and window scraping.

I keep my keys on my night stand, and when the alarm goes off I pick up the fob - start the car, and hit the snooze button.

Hell yeah! That's what I do too. I turn everything on high, and hit my remote start like 10 minutes before i leave. That way the cars warm when i get in, and i dont have to spend too much time scraping the windshield.
Lvl 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Punly
Hell yeah! That's what I do too. I turn everything on high, and hit my remote start like 10 minutes before i leave. That way the cars warm when i get in, and i dont have to spend too much time scraping the windshield.

It rocks man
I originally was going for an alarm only, but when I got there the guy said the alarm was $200 installed, but for another $75 I could get the combo.
Lvl 29
That sounds like the way to do it. I've seen those before, but never really though much about it one way or the other.
Lvl 10
Spray some graphite in the locks- (lubricity).

If door is frozen shut at seals, put hot water on it for a quick fix to get doors open (just dont let them refreeze).
Lvl 5
This may seem odd...but what kind of ":stuff" do you guys \use in Finland and the other parts of the Netherlands to keep door seals from freezing? And is it possible to aquire such "stuff" here in America?

Just wondering. Usually I use silicon spray but if you all over there where it gets much colder have something better then by all means do tell!!!

Sometimes things get a little held up in the legal system in America. Don't know if you might have noticed things like that or not. But if it works then why mess with it?
Lvl 6
my wife used pam on the door insulation. seemed to do a pretty good job.

dilligaff5
Lvl 10
Quote:
Originally posted by dilligaff5

my wife used pam on the door insulation. seemed to do a pretty good job.

dilligaff5

i hear that works good too
Lvl 17
Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowdemon

I have a 1992 Chevy Corsica. It runs pretty good, but I've been having a weird problem with the doors. Whenever the temp drops below 20 degrees (F) or so, the doors freeze solid. All of them. It's damn difficult, sometimes impossible, to get them open. Is there some way this can be prevented?

It's 3 degrees here, and they just couldn't be opened. My g/f had to spend $15 for a cab just to go to work.

btw/ The doors are never locked, if that matters.

Omg too funny. This exact thing happened to me and made me late. I called and the lady i was supposed to me said bullshit and I got in trouble of sorts.

Yea I think that you probably, like me, have poor seals. So water leaks when the car is warm. The water sets when you leave the car and wham sealed door.

Lithium grease, or wd40 should work.
Lvl 20
I was going to recommend WD40 like some of the others.

Actually, any type of non-evaporative lubricant should do the trick. All you're wanting to do is keep the ice from crystalizing inside the hinges and moving parts. If there's a layer of insulant (grease) there, the ice can't form in those spots.

That's all you're after.

Shit, vegetable oil, butter, Hell Playdough might even work... Anything would work if you can get it in all the crevices. Just anything that doesn't freeze or evaporate would do it.

WD40 is probably easiest and gets you the fewest strange looks while you're doing it though.
Lvl 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin

I was going to recommend WD40 like some of the others.

Actually, any type of non-evaporative lubricant should do the trick. All you're wanting to do is keep the ice from crystalizing inside the hinges and moving parts. If there's a layer of insulant (grease) there, the ice can't form in those spots.

That's all you're after.

Shit, vegetable oil, butter, Hell Playdough might even work... Anything would work if you can get it in all the crevices. Just anything that doesn't freeze or evaporate would do it.

WD40 is probably easiest and gets you the fewest strange looks while you're doing it though.

lol He should use astro glide on his seals. Do it by hand at like 3pm so everyone is out and sees you rubbing your car doors. Maybe where some thing cute!! lol too funny. video tape it and put it on youtube. Do like a mockumentary on keeping your doors "unfrigid".
Lvl 19
problems with car doors is an everyday problem here in Finland, if you don´t use any spray that oils the lock and melts the ice of
  • Goto: