Score: 0.00 Votes: 0
rate this

stupid car question

Starter: rainbowdemon Posted: 17 years ago Views: 1.9K
  • Goto:
Lvl 29
I have a 1992 Chevy Corsica. It runs pretty good, but I've been having a weird problem with the doors. Whenever the temp drops below 20 degrees (F) or so, the doors freeze solid. All of them. It's damn difficult, sometimes impossible, to get them open. Is there some way this can be prevented?

It's 3 degrees here, and they just couldn't be opened. My g/f had to spend $15 for a cab just to go to work.

btw/ The doors are never locked, if that matters.
* This post has been modified : 17 years ago
Lvl 19
Just buy some mechanical lubricant and spray it on the doors hinge. We have lots of different chemicals in finland, our cars need to handle -30C temperatures.

My friend had some good shit, you spray the stuff to the seals of your door, it creates some protective layer on the seals so the door doesn't freeze when the moisture gets inside it.
White Lithium Grease.

4 bucks or so at any auto/hardware shop.
Lvl 29
Both of those sound like they're worth a try. If it warms up any later on today, I'm going to do that. Maybe even give it a shot of WD also!!

Thanks, guys!!

Lvl 27
RD i know exactly what happened to ya, it was up to about 28 yesterday with a few snow fluries, your car warmed up and melted it causing the water to freeze your door seals shut, happens to me on occasion also as i live just a bit north of you, and its a pain in the ass.
Lvl 17
is it the door handles or both?
Lvl 29
^^

The handles are the kind that are flush in the door. They move, so it's probably more the door itself.

@Demonic, it damn sure is a pain in the ass!!
Lvl 24
when i was living in kansas that would happen to our car, we would have to go get some hot water and pour it on the handle and around the edges

its a quick fix for getting it open in a hurry, but ascaris' suggestion sounds better for you considering its such a problem
Lvl 27
One day i swear i'm gonna live somewhere with a garage big enough to put my truck inside!!

I have 4 garages now and not a one of them is tall enough to get it into

@ FeFe ya a quick fix cuz then later it re freezes
Lvl 29
Tried a hair dryer, but I nearly froze my nuts off doing it!!

Lvl 17
yea go with what ascaris and rikko said
Lvl 19
Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowdemon

^^

The handles are the kind that are flush in the door. They move, so it's probably more the door itself.

@Demonic, it damn sure is a pain in the ass!!

I have no idea what stuff you have in states, but I know the stuff we have here. It's hard to guide you because you may not have the same chemicals there. So this is kinda US only question.

But you should get that stuff what creates the protective layer to your seals, it helps to open the doors while it's -30C degrees.
Lvl 29
Quote:
But you should get that stuff what creates the protective layer to your seals, it helps to open the doors while it's -30C degrees.

I'm pretty sure I can find something like that here. As soon as it warms up a little, I'm going to Wally World or somewhere, and get some!!
Lvl 27
do you have an Autozone by you RD?
Lvl 29
^^

Several, yes. Might just go there, now that you mention it!!

Lvl 27
that would probably be your best bet i would think
Lvl 29
Silicone spray is worth to try..
Lvl 24
^^ yeah listen to him, hes old, he probably knows :P
Lvl 23
Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowdemon

Is there some way this can be prevented?

Move somewhere warmer.
Lvl 12
Silicone is the answer. - spray it on the rubber that goes round the doors. simple as that.
  • Goto: