Score: 0.00 Votes: 0
rate this

Help, My F-ing Car wont start...

Starter: jmappa911 Posted: 17 years ago Views: 905
Lvl 11
I've got a 2002 for mustang only 30000 miles on and the damn thing won't start, guess a better discription is that it won't stay started, won't hold idle and drop out. If it does start it idles around 300 rpm when it should be at 600 and then it will suddenly jump to the correct amount. I took it to a garage and of course it starts fine the whole time they had it. It's a random problem and dosen't happen all the time. Just seems to be when ever I'm in a hurry. Once it gets to the correct RPM's it is great and dosen't have a problem. Anyone here have or hear of a problem like this? It's driving me bonkers.
* This post has been modified : 17 years ago
Lvl 22
could be trash in your fuel lines change the filter and see if it continues thats the cheapest fix.
It could be many things bad fuel pump, bad injectors, jumping time, electronic problem in its "brain".
Lvl 8
your first problem is the blue oval. i would get a fuel pressure tester and test the fuel pressure at idle, if thats not it maybe the idle air control unit is bad.
Lvl 8
as stated above, try a new fuel filter.
Lvl 6
actually a simple yet stupid problem could be that your MAF sensor isnt connected all the way on your intake or its dirty....i have a 95 trans am and the thing wouldnt idle correctly until i cleaned my MAF sensor with some carb cleaner...thing idled fine after that...just my .02 cents
Lvl 15
Ford....quality is job #1
Lvl 8
Quote:
Originally posted by PSF

Ford....quality is job #1

Was waiting for this one
Lvl 11
yeah, I did buy a fuel filter hoping I wouldn't have to put it on. but it does seem to be the easist and the most recommended solution. thanks for the input.
Lvl 7
Erm... what's a c...a...r...?
Lvl 11
similar symptoms to my ford explorer, was something to do with my fuel pump. the guy proved it by hitting my fuel tank with something and it started, then just got a new fuel pump was right as rain.
Lvl 8
If it is a Ford with a 4.6 the first thing I would do is check the I.A.C.= Idle Air Control. It is a little solenoid that gets its information from the ECM (Brain of the car) and tells it how much air to allow so it can adjust the idle. Sometimes when they go bad the car will start and then die right away, other times it could cause a low idel or erratic idle and when they go bad will not set off a check engine light. Best way to check is to simply remove the IAC and start the car...if it starts up and keeps running that is the issue..they run about 75.00 at most parts stores.

I work for a Fleet Management Department and we have over 140 Ford Crown Victoria's with 4.6 in the police dept and you see this a lot. Hope it helps.
Lvl 17
I think were agreed thats it likely a fuel problem. But woaaaa wait wait wait. dont start doing all that yet.

Are you pumping the pedal? Ill bet you are. I believe your vehicle is fuel injected. pumping or even just touching the pedal will flood it. Just turn the key without pumping.

Only reason I say this is b/c you seem a bit new around cars which is ok and all but im guessing cuz you are you are relying on old theory for new cars.

Its a simpler solution and its free. Dont pump if your car is fuel injected!!
Lvl 11
Quote:
Originally posted by mal

I think were agreed thats it likely a fuel problem. But woaaaa wait wait wait. dont start doing all that yet.

Are you pumping the pedal? Ill bet you are. I believe your vehicle is fuel injected. pumping or even just touching the pedal will flood it. Just turn the key without pumping.

Only reason I say this is b/c you seem a bit new around cars which is ok and all but im guessing cuz you are you are relying on old theory for new cars.

not to be a smartass about it , but pumping the pedal with a fuel injected system isn't doing anything bad... unlike carburated models fuel will only get dispensed when the ECU is registering an certain ammount of airflow at the MAF sensor ,the ECM will then auto maticly calculate how long it has to open the injector for the right ammount of fuel...

since the RPM of the engine is not high when starting ,pumping the pedal thereby opening the throttle body and opening the airflow will only give you a bit more fuel...the MAF sensor not only senses airflow it can also calculate the ammount of air being sucked into the engine... if MAF is dirty then the MAF will now register the right ammount of air and will calculate the wrong ammount of fuel being injected.
Lvl 11
I know a bit about cars do my own oil, brake changes ect. so i'm not pumping the pedal but thanks for the post. i'll chane the fuel filter first since having a clean one can't hurt. and then try some of the other stuff you guys suggest thanks again everyone.
Lvl 11
Quote:
Originally posted by lvrguyfl2006

If it is a Ford with a 4.6 the first thing I would do is check the I.A.C.= Idle Air Control. It is a little solenoid that gets its information from the ECM (Brain of the car) and tells it how much air to allow so it can adjust the idle. Sometimes when they go bad the car will start and then die right away, other times it could cause a low idel or erratic idle and when they go bad will not set off a check engine light. Best way to check is to simply remove the IAC and start the car...if it starts up and keeps running that is the issue..they run about 75.00 at most parts stores.

I work for a Fleet Management Department and we have over 140 Ford Crown Victoria's with 4.6 in the police dept and you see this a lot. Hope it helps.

great I'd like to try this but the cars a 3.8L could this still be the problem? if so where could I find the IAC.
Lvl 10
take it to the friggen dealer
Lvl 7
As a mechanic for the past 5 years I find this thread both distrubing and funny at the same time. Its no wonder we get so many morons walking through our doors each day. While it is impossible to diagnose the car from his discription there are a few knowns...a fuel filter will not improve the situation. Blocked fuel filters typically flow fine for low fuel demands and fail under load. Pumping the gas pedal does nothing to a fuel injected car with the engine off!!!!! The best idea so far has been you IAC valve and yes your V-6 has one too. The worst idea is to take it to the dealer. Take it to a reputible independent garage and save yourself a lot of headache. Another potential spot (though more common with more miles) is an intermittent EGR valve causing poor idle. However, this usually is indicated by a check engine light. Like I said can't diagnose it from my computer. Good luck.
Lvl 17
Quote:
Originally posted by SyPTo

[reply=mal]

not to be a smartass about it , but pumping the pedal with a fuel injected system isn't doing anything bad... unlike carburated models fuel will only get dispensed when the ECU is registering an certain ammount of airflow at the MAF sensor ,the ECM will then auto maticly calculate how long it has to open the injector for the right ammount of fuel...

since the RPM of the engine is not high when starting ,pumping the pedal thereby opening the throttle body and opening the airflow will only give you a bit more fuel...the MAF sensor not only senses airflow it can also calculate the ammount of air being sucked into the engine... if MAF is dirty then the MAF will now register the right ammount of air and will calculate the wrong ammount of fuel being injected.
[/reply]

um.... owned?
Lvl 28
Have you tried swearing at it?
Lvl 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_X

Have you tried swearing at it?

hah. yes but didn't seem to help much. made me feel better thu. I plan on taking it to a garage and having them check the IAC. it seems like the best idea that fits my problem so far. its worth a shot like I said earlier, I could use some ideas. besides how do you learn anything if you never ask any questions. thanks for the help once again.