Score: 5.00 Votes: 2
rate this

diesel fuel..

Starter: FATHERTIME Posted: 15 years ago Views: 625
Lvl 28
is there bacteria in it ??? i have never heard of this and was just wondering if this was true ??? http://www.debugamericalatina.com/bacteria-in-diesel.html
Lvl 22
I've heard of this,but, never seen it.

I've also seen a theory that rust is caused by a bacteria.

I once had mold grow on an open container of WD-40 that sat open for months in a dark corner.
Lvl 59
Quote:
Originally posted by notech

No, that's oxidation which is a chemical reaction caused by exposure to the elements (specifically Iron exposed to Oxygen and Water), not bacteria.
Lvl 22
I know the common reasoning for rust

This was on one of those discovery ch. shows that give some new evidence that science has discovered.
Lvl 6
I have never heard of this...
Lvl 5
Quote:
Originally posted by notech

I've heard of this,but, never seen it.

I once had mold grow on an open container of WD-40 that sat open for months in a dark corner.

Oxidation (or rust) is corrosion of metal caused by oxigen- it's the definition. Now there may be some bacteria that creates an environment that facilitates oxidation, or it could be some other form of corrosion (like a secreted acid)... but oxidation is not CAUSED by bacteria.

Also, mold is not bacteria, it is a fungus.

As for the bacteria in diesel.. the study that proved (from the University of Wisconsin) it cites that the bacteria live in the WATER that may have contaminated the fuel tank and feed off the nutrients in the fuel and that this is most often seen in tanks of vehicles that have been left for long periods exposed to the elements.

It shouldn't bee too much of a suprise, though. Bacteria have been developed that digest oils and diesel, and others that have been develope that excrete diesel- commonly referred to as biodiesel. Bacteria are resourcefull little cusses.
Lvl 22
I try to learn something new every day,thanks for the primer spiny,
Lvl 7
I have been a Ase Master certified diesel mechanic for the last 17 years. I can tell you there is bacteria in diesel and under the right conditions it will grow in size so that is can be seen with the naked eye.It will appear as bright red specs of what ever in the greenish colored highway fuel.one of the precautions that we warn young mechanics about is not getting diesel in open cuts and not "injecting yourself" while bench testing injectors.
Lvl 28
thank's for the responses... i never new about this...