Score: 0.00 Votes: 0
rate this

Web 1.0 VS Web 2.0 & WBW

Starter: DEMO Posted: 12 years ago Views: 984
Lvl 27
So I've read a couple of definitions about these two website type formats...

And I really don't understand the difference between the two...

So, if anyone cares to try and explain these 2 different types of internet browsing experiences, or even to debate the good points and/or bad points of each, please I'd be more then happy to read each and every response in full to try and grasp just what the hell the two of them are...
* This post has been modified : 12 years ago
Lvl 28
Lvl 5
This is my understanding. In web 1.0 your average schmuck internet user (like me) was primarily able to view content that was put there by "experts" or geeks. It was for the most part a passive experience, with shopping being the exception. In Web 2.0 your average user can easily create content that other users can view. So all of your social networking sites are Web 2.0, so is Wikipedia (and all other wikis), blogs, etc. And, because the content is created by the users WBW is Web 2.0!!
Lvl 27
So web 2.0 is kind of by created design, but it is also fed by users to contain content...

So loosely defined, it doesn't have to be a flashy upscale design with all kinds of bells and whistles to be considered web 2.0?
Lvl 70
Web 2.0 means interactivity between the user and the website.
Being able to post a comment on a website is part of web 2.0 (blogs were the beginning of it).

Web 1.0 is basically a fixed page that you can't edit without changing the code and uploading it again (only the owner can do this). There is no interactivity in those sites : the owner put stuff on it and you can only view / read it.

Design have nothing to do with the definition of web 1.0/2.0
Lvl 27
So in essence, WBW is web 2.0?
Lvl 70
Yep

There is not really much active sites that are still 1.0 (only some informative, promoting or very old ones).
Lvl 27
So what can WBW do to become even more web 2.0, anything?
Lvl 70
Hum, more interactivity ^^
Stuff Diz talked about like special titles according to your activities on the website, social networking (being able to follow member's upload for example). Things like that.

But if you're referring to one comment in the beta feedback thread stating that the design was not 2.0 enough, I think the guy meant that the beta looks like an old website from the 1.0 era (witch I disagree with because clean site does not equal old even though there is room for improvement and the beta currently lacks personality I would say).
Lvl 27
You hit the nail on the head, that one comment is the reason for this thread...
Lvl 27
I think maybe I'll move this to feedback so Dizzy has a look see at it.

And if anyone has any web2.0 ideas to make wbw more "interactive" maybe throw your ideas in here...

But for gawds sake, do not suggest making it like facebook, else I'd probably leave this site like I did facebook...
Lvl 70
Quote:
Originally posted by DEMO

But for gawds sake, do not suggest making it like facebook, else I'd probably leave this site like I did facebook...

+1 (even though I never really have been interested in facebook )