Score: 3.58 Votes: 12
rate this

Frequently Asked Questions & Help

Starter: Cobrian Posted: 20 years ago Views: 160.4K
  • Goto:
Lvl 12
Getting credits for uploaded clips
You'll get them once the video is checked and approved. This can take anything between days and months currently. If you want to make things go faster, MAKE DOUBLE SURE the file is free of copyright or you are the copyright holder and wish to give us permission to distribute the clip.

Video playback issues in Windows

I've found the following trio of free players to suit pretty much all my needs:

BSPlayer for DivX/XviD/AVI/WMV playback (reports of adware in the latest version)
VLC Media Player for MPEG(MPG) files, even most of the broken ones play with this puppy
Media Player Classic for Apple MOV's and Real Media files, support isn't complete but it gets most of the job done (the homepage for this program also a home for a great deal of other good tools)

As for codecs, most needs are fulfilled by a simple system called ffdshow, which is based on libavcodec for Linux. It can decode most AVI packed movies.

For DivX movies, I suggest you download a DivX 5.X package directly from www.divx.com, the decoding version is free for public use.

XviD is an another popular format, I recommend getting a precompiled codec installer for it as well, since that is the best way to ensure proper playback. Xvid.org offers a few links for downloading ready-made installers, but I suggest you use Google for a bit of searching to find the best installer to suit your needs.

USE OF CODEC PACKS IS NOT RECOMMENDED. Why? Because most of them will install stuff you might never need, might install older versions of stuff you already have, and might install some GFX card specific stuff that can possibly break stuff on your system.

If you do not know what codec a file uses: Get GSpot. It'll tell you the codec and sometimes even where to get it.

Taking screenshots of clips

This is something I'd like to see. It also gives people a better chance to decide if they want to use their precious bandwidth to download the video. 2 or 3 shots should do.

Please don't upload the screenshots, instead post them on a separate website (maybe on the same one where the file is located, if the file host is under your control?), and add them to your posts with either [.url] or [.img] tags.

As for making screenshots, at least BSPlayer knows how to make some.

What are RAR files and how do I play them?

RAR is a compression format much like ZIP. You need to unpack the files with WinRAR to see the actual video files. WinRAR can be downloaded for a free 30-day trial. See the next section to learn more about unpackers.

I tried unpacking a RAR with program XYZ, but I keep getting a CRC error. Why?

What you are experiencing is one of two things: 1) the files in question have been packed with WinRAR with settings that make the files incompatible with the known parameters of the software you've tried to open it with. The only solution to this is to unpack them using WinRAR. 2) one or more of the files are broken. Either post the URL of the topic here or send me a PM.

On that note, any notes on what settings to avoid to insure compatability with other programs would be appreciated.

Multi-part videos

To make downloading large clips possible for non-sponsors, clips were sometimes posted in parts, and packed with various archiver formats. I thought I'd recommend PowerArchiver and 7-Zip, since they're compatible with most known archives and are both free. Also, Pharrari has made a fairly useful, video-illustrated guide on splitting and joining files with WinRAR, check that out at http://www.whatboyswant.com/forum_read/350081 if you wish. HAPPYDICK made a shorter version, that one is at http://www.whatboyswant.com/forum_read/408009 .

Common problems with multi-part files:

× "Unable to find file movie.partXX.rar": Most probably you are missing one of the files. Go back to the thread and see if you've missed anything. If not, try to see if the poster has. If so, contact him/her via PM.

× "Unable to find file movie.rXX": The files have been renamed before they have been uploaded to the site. Rename the extension partXX.rar to .rXX and then try decompressing again. Note: The first file is always .rar, the second .r00 and so on.

Downloading multiple files made easy

cURL is the absolutely best tool for this, since it allows you to enter lists of files to download by using a simple "script" language. cURL is available for most, if not all Unix variants (Linux, MacOS X etc.) and Windows.

For the Windows version, you need to download GetLeft from SourceForge. It uses cURL as the download engine. Here's how to use cURL on Windows the simple way:

You can use cURL.exe that is distributed in the package in the same way as you'd use cURL on any *nix platform. The commands are totally compatible. You'll just have to do one thing and remember another:

- Add the path to cURL.exe into your PATH variable. To do this, open up a command prompt (Start Menu -> run -> cmd) and type path %PATH%;"C:\Path\To\cURL.exe"

- Make a directory where you wish to store the files, then go to that directory in a command prompt (use the cd command to get where you want, you can change drives by typing x: and Enter/Return in the prompt (substitute X for the drive letter you wish to go to)), then just enter the curl command with all the options to start downloading.

For a more detailed guide on using cURL, go to http://www.whatboyswant.com/forum_read/278998

Getting a 403 "Access Denied/Forbidden Error":

- See that you are using the domain www.whatboyswant.com and not .nl
- If this doesn't help, contact a moderator or support@whatboyswant.com

Can I record ICQ/MSN video chats?

Yes. You'll need to use a screen recorder. CamTasia Studio is probably the best out there, but it isn't free. There might also be 3rd party plug-ins that allow you to record video, but I don't know of any.
CrossMix finds this awesome.
Lvl 16
anyone have any recommendations on vidcapping from screen to make small avi/mpg??? if so pls pm me or post here
Lvl 12
complete computer rookie, my ? is the jar files that open to my winzip and then its blank? Can anyone help out with how to set my puter to play the jar files? I can open any mp's to my window media player but cant figure the jar files. Thanks
Lvl 11
Anyone know what I can view DAT movies with? Oh and here are some of my fav's www.fjupp.com , www.fackeln.tk and www.extreme-forum.dk
Lvl 11
This should also help

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608
Lvl 11
Anyone know of any decent media converters? I'm after something that can convert avi / mpeg / wmv / rm
And to be able to convert them all into each other.

Thanks in advance
Lvl 11
converter would be fx video converter, download.com
Lvl 70
i always use www.mpegx.com its goth all the things you need for audio and video

Video
· Video Multi
· Video Player
· Video Encoder
· Video Recorder
· Video Ripper
· Video Codec
· Video Capturer
· Video Playlister
· Video Editor
· Video Region
· Video Calculator
· Video Utility

Audio
· Audio Multi
· Audio Player
· Audio Mixer
· Audio Encoder
· Audio Recorder
· Audio Ripper
· Audio Playlister
· Audio Editor
· Audio Plugin
· Audio Sharing
· Audio Tag&Rename
· Audio Utility
Lvl 18
I need a converter that capable of changing mpegs and other vid formats into DVD. Prefer free...but if the prog is good enough I would be willing to pay for one.
Lvl 12
bachiotomy:

Currently I'm not aware of any single program that could be cabable of handling ALL video formats into a DVD compatible MPEG-2 format. Ahead has a program that should have some features, but any links to programs is always appreciated. You should also check the Software forum for more info, as you are probably aware the people there are much more knowledgeable about these things.

Lvl 18
Thanks Cobrian I now did that!
Lvl 12
when i try to save the movies or open them i dont get an ok to click on. its unclickable. anyone know why? muchos gracias for them help. im not mexican even though im speaking spanish.
Eeeeyeeieei finds this awesome.
Lvl 12
CaptainAwesome:

Please give the following information:

× Name and exact version number of your web browser (Look in Help -> About for the versionnumber)
× If at all possible, please provide screenshots of the download windows (Press Print Screen, open image editing software, select Edit -> Paste As New Image (or similar), select area where window shown, Copy, again Paste As New Image, Save as JPEG, upload here)
× Any other useable info is also appreciated
Lvl 12
the browser is Firefox version 1.0

ill attach a screen shot of me trying to download a movie but the save option isnt available. im pretty sure ive downloaded movies in the past and the save option was available. i think it changed when i was trying to get some video software for seeing the RAR files.

thanks for your time.
Lvl 11
I CAN'T SEEM TO DOWNLOAD RAR FILES ONTO MY MAC. IT KEEPS GIVING ME AN ERROR, " INTERNAT STUFFIT EXPNDER ERROR", "ERROR EXPANDING FILE" WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
Lvl 15
Is there a easy way to upload a 30 part movie?
Lvl 12
Does anyone know of any free software where I can split mpegs into smaller mpegs. I know there are some with a "free to try, $XX.XX to buy", but I'm looking for any w/no catches? I'm downloading an 800mb torrent movie and I only have 700mb cds--and I don't have a DVD/RW, just a CD/RW.
Lvl 14
im having a problem with uploading one of my videos to the babe movies thing. it gets about halfway through and then goes to a page that says "page not found" all of the sudden. it is a rather large file, but ive uploaded bigger ones as recently as yesterday. whats the deal?
Lvl 4
I don't see any avi files on my winamp player only the noise I am hearing... How is that possible?
Lvl 17
Might be wrong codecs...try one of the stickys in the Feedback forum, it has links for codecs and better players!
  • Goto: