Score: 5.00 Votes: 2
rate this

Supreme Court to Weigh Human Rights V States Rights

Starter: Tarquin Posted: 8 years ago Views: 2.3K
Lvl 20
For some, it's considered a sin against humanity. For others, no ruling from the Supreme Court, no matter how point blank and powerful, will ever be enough to offer assurance of their rights nor amend for the harms of the past.

Not all that long ago, polls on this board overwhelmingly opposed homosexuality and gay marriage.

Today, the reverse is true.

Sadly, the topic will soon be behind us and we'll need to find something else to intellectualize between our pagination of tits and ass.

Quote:
With intellectual side trips to Plato’s Greece and the land of the Kalahari Bushmen, Tuesday’s arguments challenged the justices to decide whether they are ready or willing to overturn not just legal doctrine but also embedded traditions in the name of equal rights. At what point do thousands of years no longer determine right and wrong? And if what was wrong is now right, is it up to them, instead of voters and legislators, to say that?

-New York Times

I chose this summary because it seemed to me to be the best pithy articulation of an enormous topic with many facets of human understanding attached to it.

It has implications for religious beliefs. It has implications for equal rights. It impacts democracy, particularly in our country, as we continue to weigh the rights of states versus the rights of the federal government. More importantly to many, it weighs the individual rights of people versus the the rights of states to govern themselves.

I for one, predict that the Supreme Court will not kick this can down the road for another generation. I feel that the court is eager to resolve the matters at hand.

First, I believe that our society has changed such that the definition of marriage is now inclusive of marriage between two men or two women by default. Not long ago I believe that the default definition of marriage in the US (rightly or wrongly) was indeed that of "between one man and one woman."

But definitions change over time. At one point the definition of a marriage was between any male who could stick it into someone and whomever that someone was, regardless of the number of someones that was or the ages of the someones in question. This included multiple someones when polygamy was common or legal in certain parts of the world or our country. It was long legal to "marry" a young teenager to a person twice that teenager's age. In some places, and at some points in history that are really not all that long ago, it was legal to marry close family members.

If one takes a definitive look at history, they see that it's actually only been a very small period of time (about 1,000 years) that western cultures have defined marriage as being between one man and one woman. Even then again, there were polygamous marriages among other inclusive definitions, and that was solely within western cultures. The majority of cultures in the world are not now, nor have they ever been, western.

Even in the time that the Bible would have been written, it was only a small portion of the world that identified as "Christian" and that had this definition for the life-partnership many enter into. This definition didn't even really apply until recently, and it still doesn't apply universally. It was less than 100 years ago that polygamy was commonly practiced by many Christian sects in the United States, including those that now oppose gay marriage. It's still practiced by some religious sects even now.

The definition that existed in our culture has really only been around a short while in the context of history, and even as such has often been inclusive of terms beyond what today's gay marriage opponents argue is the true and right definition of it as exclusively the term used for one male and one female.

I believe the court is eager to assert the matter of law on the topic of who defines a word, and what a word actually means in this context. I believe that the court will rule that regardless of how someone else defines a word, the word as used by the federal and state governments is one inclusive of a basic human right to marry, and that our society has overall adopted this definition and that this trend will continue. Thus, it's the right and appropriate place for the courts to rule that all governments in the United States use the same definitions of the word, and extend the same rights, freedoms, benefits and burdens to those who wish to enter into this legal contract (because that's what marriage is to our governments - a legal contract).

Secondly, I feel that the court is eager to show that it's true now, as it has always been in this nation, that federal laws trump state laws. We apparently have a nation full of people who either didn't attend school, didn't have a good school, or who have selectively chosen to disregard the lessons they were given on the topic of the Supremacy Clause.

Quote:
Under the Supremacy Clause, any state law that conflicts with a federal law is preempted. Gibbons v. Ogden, 22 U.S. 1 (1824).

Regardless of how people think our nation ought to function, the way it actually functions is that federal law is supreme to state law.

Also self-evident throughout our nation's most important founding documents, and those that exist today, is that the individual rights of a human being are supreme to those of the federal government. Inalienable rights, fundamental human rights, are secured against our federal government. That's really a tangent though, and I only mention it so that no one else has to mention it and we have a side-tracked debate.

The issue at hand is whether or not state laws can be determined by the federal government. Some states have continually defied the federal government, and have repeatedly asserted that their state has more law-making authority than the federal government.

This notion was actually tried. The Confederation of the United States was designed to do exactly this; to provide states with the ability to trump a federal law.

It failed miserably.

We no longer have a Confederation of the United States. It crashed and burned, so we replaced it with something that worked better. A Constitution for the United States of America.

Some states however, would like to disregard that reality, and would prefer to pretend that they still live under the demonstrably flawed rules of a confederation.

I believe the Supreme Court is eager to assert itself on the matter, and they'll be hard pressed to find a more moral, ethical, or intellectually sound set of cases to do that with.

I think the Supreme Court will rule that gay marriages must be recognized by each state, even if individual states still don't allow gay marriage. I don't believe the Court will rule gay marriage legal across the country. I believe those rulings will come later as people continue to challenge the laws in those states. Remember that this case is about (primarily) someone named Jim and his partner, John, who lived in Ohio. Ohio does not permit gay marriage, so Jim and John had flown to Maryland (where gay marriage is legal) and got married. Upon returning to Ohio, they applied for benefits that married couples can apply for, and Ohio said "No."

The question here is not whether or not gay marriage should be legal in all fifty states. The question is whether one state has the right to ignore and deprive a couple married in another state of the rights of the institution of marriage.

Because of this, I believe that the Supreme Court will rule that all states must recognize same-sex marriages, but I don't believe they'll rule that all states must allow same-sex marriages.

That's my prediction, and I confess it's also my hope.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a different prediction, and different reasons for their prediction.

If so, please share.
* This post has been modified : 8 years ago
Lvl 22
I will reply with an intelligent response soon. In the meante after glancing your post I will say that the bible was written by people that wanted to keep control over their citizens as
Does our gov today.
I don't have the vernacular to post much but I will and I have strong feelings about the generality of this thread.
(Good to see you back Tarquin)
Lvl 20
Good to see you too, Notech. I hope you're well, and I look forward to reading your thoughts.
Lvl 22
The fed has believed for a long time they are the gods of the people and this is one example of many. Take for example when Californians voted against printing everything in multiple languages. It won and then the fed court blasted it out of existence. Why? Because we won't stand up and cry FOUL.
Lvl 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Notech_The_Abbot
I will reply with an intelligent response soon. In the meante after glancing your post I will say that the bible was written by people that wanted to keep control over their citizens as
Does our gov today.
I don't have the vernacular to post much but I will and I have strong feelings about the generality of this thread.
(Good to see you back Tarquin)

The Bible was written as a moral compass upon which our current western laws and values are based.based. I would have to say pretty powerful for this doctrine to govern our society to this day. Sorry Notech, your off base on this one. The Koran, however, is a document based on control of the masses. But this thread is not for religious studies even though religion may enter into the conversation. Here in Canukistan, gay marriage is lawful in every province. Our Supreme court ruled on this years ago. It has really become a non-issue and homophobia has mostly disappeared or gone underground. Here in Canada we can show titties on the tube and guns are not glorified. Gays will do what gays will do. The definition of marriage has changed in this country, and most of the western world, don't forget Europe, that is if you can find it on a map. Your supreme court should pass down a ruling for the good of the nation. State legislatures should pass laws for the good of the state and where those laws are in contravention of Federal laws, then a line has been crossed and debate will ensue.One Nation, Under God says your constitution. Individual rights are inalienable until a white cop shoots an unarmed black person and is not charged with murder. Gay people should have the same rights as all people, and that includes the right to get married. Don't worry, the masses, the religious leaders, and the politicos will get over it in time and will find another cause to blather on about. Meanwhile, worry about the important things, like the government being able to suspend your rights at anytime, imprison you without cause, and the increasing power and reach of police forces as an extension of the domestic military. Gay rights related to marriage are low priority when it comes to the protection of your individual rights as enshrined in your constitution which are in danger of disappearing....
Lvl 22
Allen I wish I could break down your reply to but I can't on my phone. But I think the point of the thread is how much the fed is taking away the rights of the people to choose their state policies. I understand that their needs to be some overseeing but the people should be the ones to do that not the fed. Hope you get what I and Tarquin are saying you being from Canukistan and all. This is not religious but a free people trying to vent frustration.
Lvl 15
Interesting side note:

If the court does actually throw out the traditional idea that states can define marriage however they choose, or adopt a new definition of marriage, or however you want to describe it, it would seem to me that they are throwing out the idea that there is any definition of marriage at all. Or at least one that can be regulated in any meaningful way. That means no laws against polygamy, incest, etc. as long as it is between consenting adults. All the arguments in favor of same sex marriage work for each of the other types of marriage as well. I wonder how the public will react when those court cases start happening.

Second side note...or more of a question:

I've always wondered why, if so many people actually support same sex marriage, it has only been done via the democratic process in two or three states. I mean even California voted it down just a couple of years ago. If it is such a popular idea, why must the proponents use the courts to get what they want? Say what you will about donors or the process, but you can't say the votes haven't been well publicized. If they couldn't get a majority in CA, not once but twice over Prop. 8 can we really buy the polling on the subject?
Lvl 22
Just remember that this is supposed to be...
A government "Of the people,By the people,For The People"
The fed court has no right to go against our Constitution !
Grilledcheese finds this awesome.
Lvl 20
This is an overdue reply that I'd been meaning to leave.

I don't believe the Supreme Court acted in error. In fact, it's a conservative court. When six out of nine judges on a conservative court think that a law is too conservative, it's too conservative.

Someone recently told me that they still oppose gay marriage and that they think the court was engaging in legislating from the bench.

When six of nine justices appointed by conservative Presidents and Congresses rule that your stance is too conservative, that's not an activist court. That's you being too conservative. That's you being wrong.

The Constitution doesn't say anything about marriage being solely between a man and a woman, and even if it did it would be wrong, just as it was when it acknowledged blacks as 3/5ths of a man.

I believe the Supreme Court made the correct, and overdue decision, and I'm glad they did so. Our laws on marriage were confined to the definition thrust upon the word "marriage" by a protestant christian fundamentalist world perspective, that no longer (if it ever did) reflect the will or the interests of our inclusive society that above all else, was designed to treat people equally in the eyes of the law.

I congratulate the Supreme Court, and condemn those who continue to attempt to disregard our nation's laws in an effort to promulgate their paranoid religious fantasies onto others today knowing full well that they'll be a source of shame and embarrassment for their descendants.

Should the Supreme Court have ruled this way? I believe they should have. But more importantly, they shouldn't have had to.

This took too long, and the source of our tardiness to modernity can be traced directly to the insanity of America's religious zealots.
F1098, exocet find this awesome.
Lvl 14
I agree the queers should Marry and divorce and pay alimony like the rest of us.Be careful what you wish for , oh yeah just just don't wave that stupid flag in my face!