Score: 3.67 Votes: 3
rate this

What do Americans think about Canada s Oilsands?

Starter: Allen_Bradley Posted: 9 years ago Views: 4.6K
  • Goto:
I live in western North Dakota which is the heart of the oil boom here. This keystone pipeline is supposed to go to Cushing Oklahoma which is where our country stores all of its oil. Currently they have claimed to have the room to store more then change their minds and say no we are full so here in the bakken shale area the rig count drilling for oil has been cut in half and there have been a few layoffs as well and hour reductions. One of the main reasons why the oil from the tar sands in Canada comes here is because the cost to refine it is very high and they are not able to do it themselves so it comes here and we refine it. That particular oil is very dirty and is a heavy crude which requires a different refinery process than the typical light shale oil that is found in the US. Also tthis pipeline would reduce the amount of trucks and rail being used to transport the oil from Canada to here and else where. This is the main reason for all pipelines.
Lvl 23
Quote:
Originally posted by cmetz
I live in western North Dakota which is the heart of the oil boom here. This keystone pipeline is supposed to go to Cushing Oklahoma which is where our country stores all of its oil. Currently they have claimed to have the room to store more then change their minds and say no we are full so here in the bakken shale area the rig count drilling for oil has been cut in half and there have been a few layoffs as well and hour reductions. One of the main reasons why the oil from the tar sands in Canada comes here is because the cost to refine it is very high and they are not able to do it themselves so it comes here and we refine it. That particular oil is very dirty and is a heavy crude which requires a different refinery process than the typical light shale oil that is found in the US. Also tthis pipeline would reduce the amount of trucks and rail being used to transport the oil from Canada to here and else where. This is the main reason for all pipelines.

Actually you do not have the facts. The refineries we have here have been upgraded to handle and refine the oils from the oilsands. The point you are missing is this. American produced oil cannot be sold offshore. Foreign produced oil, however, can be refined and shipped offshore. The American refineries want this oil and Obama is not allowing this to happen. Why?
Lvl 2
I don't care
Lvl 22
keystoneXL is the cheapest way to get canadian oil to china. the biggest winners will be the worldwide conglomerate of huge oil companies & their shareholders IF they can bring the oil into china cheaper than the russians (gazprom) or africans. it's oil that's fueling the spat between china, viet nam, and phillipines in the south china sea.

china wants oil and has the american dollars to pay for it. 8% of our huge national debt is owed to china, & the oil conglomerates want that cash.

america & americans are just pawns in their game. there's really nothing in this game for america or americans.

my opinion....eventually money will talk, the american politicians will be bought, & the pipeline built.

Az
carpdemon finds this awesome.
Lvl 19
In my former home state of Nebraska, it's not as much of a partisan issue. It's one where Democrats and Republicans are very much on the same page, generally speaking. The primary reason they, and apparently President Obama, are against the pipeline has to do with the potential environmental impact of an accident.
Nebraska is home to one of the world's largest underground aquifers as well as some of the best farmland in the United States.

I think it says quite a bit that the owners of the pipeline are refusing to provide any financial assurances to the owners of the farmland that they would be compensated in the event of an accident.
Poida finds this awesome.
Lvl 4
Quote:
Originally posted by Poida
Leonardo Di Caprios a wanker

I take that back, the scene he does when the vintage disco biscuits kick in was really well done.
  • Goto: