Score: 0.00 Votes: 0
rate this

Image Duplication Finder Software

Starter: Tarquin Posted: 12 years ago Views: 1.5K
Lvl 20
I'm on a Windows machine.

I have a veritable shit-ton of images on my computer. Many of the pictures I have are duplicates with different names.

I did a web search and found this site which discusses duplicate image detection software, but before I go downloading a bunch of malware or a broke-dick piece of shit, I'm wondering if any of you picture hoarders have a program you already use, trust and like.

If so, tell me a bit about it, please.
Lvl 59
I use two programs.

One looks for exact duplicate files: Duplicate Cleaner (also looks for .mp3s, and other types of files)

And the other one (which they have listed on that site) looks at the pictures themselves to determine how close they are to other pictures that you have: VisiPics

Both work well IMO
Lvl 20
Thank you, Eric. I trust your judgment so I'll try it out.
Lvl 20
Here's a question some of you might be able to answer.

I have a couple of images that are dupes that it already found. So far so good.

In one case, the images look the same. They're the same size and in the same folders to boot. Saved on the same day. Just different names - but they're also different file sizes.

One is 21kb and the other is 28kb. I can detect no differences in pigment or the like. They appear identical to me visually.

Which one will most likely be the better choice to delete and why?
Lvl 59
Most of the time I delete the smaller sized one, in the hopes that it's of a better quality.

That's not necessarily the case, as the quality of the picture depends on how it was saved, in what format, the compression levels used, etc.

Usually, if you can't tell the difference on a good monitor it doesn't matter and the differences are probably not perceptible to the human eye, but since I have plenty of HD space, I go with the bigger one in the event that it's better quality in case I want to use it for something later, or post it or whatever.

But that's just me.
Lvl 12
I use Vistanita Duplicate Finder, works like a charm!
wait so... i downloaded that the first one you said, EL. and that shit scared me.

look what it's telling me. i don't want me computer all screwed up. do you think that program is worth the money for it?
Lvl 59
Hrm.

That shit looks shady.

I didn't see anything like that with the program when I downloaded it

I wouldn't activate that and would GTFO of that thing if i were you.

When I run it, it basically looks like this:

fuck man.

i fail.
Lvl 59
You downloaded AIDS.

Lvl 13
Quote:
Originally posted by EricLindros

You downloaded AIDS.

and its MAC aids at that yuck
Lvl 20
This is a pretty good little program, Eric. It does well.

Thanks again, and thank you from my 9,000+ dupes.
Lvl 20
Hey...

Why don't one of you hop into the server and run this sucker on the site here sometime? Let me know the numbers, I'm curious.
Lvl 20
Okay, I just ran my folder for real as opposed to fucking around to see how this thing worked...

It scanned 31,244 pictures. Of those, it found 8459 dupes, and this is after I cleaned up the obvious shit.

In other words, more than 1 out of every three pics I have is a dupe... Holy shit.
Lvl 12
I have to say that VisiPics program was exactly what I was looking for, never expected to find it here.. Cheers