Score: 5.00 Votes: 1
rate this

Has anyone else had this on their PC

Starter: jono-smith Posted: 14 years ago Views: 2.9K
  • Goto:
Lvl 15
This is something different but kind of fits with the subject and I thought people might find it interesting to know about. I got a notice from my ISP this morning I was getting close to exceeding my internet usage for the month. I'm thinking, wtf!? I have actually used my internet a lot less the last month cause I haven't been on-line gaming. Turns out, according to my ISP, my uploading has skyrockted, from an average of about 25 megs a day to 2-3 gigs a day. I have no clue so I set my firewall to log all outgoing contacts and I turn up something called Pando Media Booster. It's a tiny program which I apparently downloaded when I gave Lord of the Rings Online a tryout last month. It quietly sets up a P2P network, sits in the background and acts as a seeder, uploading parts of the program to people who want to download it. So the company doesn't have to use its servers to download to people buying its software. Instead it uses YOU! Talk about sneaky! And apparently a number of games use it. Yeah, yeah, I'm sure I clicked "accept" after a couple of pages of junk, but did I read it? No. How many people do? Anyway, I've since uninstalled it.
Lvl 2
Quote:
Originally posted by mal

My cousin just paid 300 to get her virus killed. wtf I told her I would do it.... No patience.

wow, and I thought best buy was bad. They charge quite a bit for protection. They also setup a playstation 3 for 150. Thats ridiculous. You can make everything automatic.
I use avast and malwarebytes...all free
Lvl 27
Quote:
Originally posted by aaronmb

[reply=mal]
My cousin just paid 300 to get her virus killed. wtf I told her I would do it.... No patience.

wow, and I thought best buy was bad. They charge quite a bit for protection. They also setup a playstation 3 for 150. Thats ridiculous. You can make everything automatic.
I use avast and malwarebytes...all free
[/reply]

The way I see it, you're not paying for the actual work or tools they use, you're paying for the "feeling" of being safe once they give your computer back. Reality is, many times people can fix he problems themselves, or know someone who could do it for very little or nothing.

I usually do work for about $50 and under. I most often tell people I will do work for whatever they want to pay. If they are broke and can't pay, then that's cool. If they have money, and feel better paying for work they've had done, that's cool too. I do the work because I enjoy working on computers. I know plenty of other people who do the same sorta thing, which just reinforces the fact that people would rather have a "professional" work on their computer for the thought that they knew what they were doing.

Sad part is a lot of geek squad don't know a 1/4 of what others like myself do. :\
  • Goto: