rate this

half life 2 and my pc

Starter: mal Posted: 18 years ago Views: 1.1K
  • Goto:
Lvl 17
I just upgraded to a gig of ram.
I have a 1.69 celeron processor
I have a max 64mb video card

I run half life 2 and it acts like its on molasses. If i point the gun to the ground it fires normal. If I point it out to the sky or horizon it fires in slo mo and echoes.

Im thinking its my graphics card since the floor is basically one dimensional whereas the sky is not.

Here are the requirements for half life 2:

=====================================
minimum System Configuration

1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 capable graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection

Preferred System Configuration

2.4 GHz Processor
512MB RAM
DirectX 9 capable graphics card 256mb
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection
-----------------------------

Granted my processor is not as high as they would like but i think 1.7 should be enough right?
So what gives? I think my card is called intel(r) 82845g. Anyone?
* This post has been modified : 18 years ago
Lvl 17
o yes one other issue. when i upgrades my ram and rebooted my computer it does not show my other harddrive which i installed. Is there a way to make it "see" my other harddrive or did I accidentally unplug the connection when I was installing the ram?
Lvl 10
heres the problem

"I have a 1.69 celeron processor"
Celeron processors are not very good for 3D rendering.
In other words anything thats very 3D demanding it doesnt do to well with.
Lvl 9
and im sure the 64mb graphics doesn't help lol
Lvl 10
Well no it doesnt..but its mainly the processor.
1.its a 1.6 and the min is 1.2..
2.its a celeron..and well i've already explained that one to him.

I used to have an old comp with a celeron processor and it didnt run 3D heavy games very well.
Lvl 9
roger that

then he should stay away from BF2. haha.
Lvl 12
also, half life 2 is known for offloading a lot of work to the processor
Lvl 17
i have a 1.17 athlon and hl2 works fine

due to the new source engine most of the work is NOT being done by the processor

you need a new video card

buy one... you will see that i am right
Lvl 25
Here's the problem : You have posted 4 times in a row. you are a fucktard....move away from the computer!!
Lvl 23
Two words -

Peanut Butter
Lvl 13
It's definitely the video card, without a doubt... You should also ensure you have all background programs off... Spend about 200 bucks and get a good video card with plenty of onboard RAM and you'll be good
Lvl 17
Quote:
Originally posted by TickLer

Here's the problem : You have posted 4 times in a row. you are a fucktard....move away from the computer!!

Lvl 29
yup get a better video card, at least a ATI 9800 128mb. and like Morgadeth said stop all processes runinng in the backgroung. ctr-alt-del, click on processes tab, and stop all processes under your user name except explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe.
Lvl 12
yea problem is that u have integrated graphics, they realy sux, as Lil say buy new one, 9800 is good choice but strongest cards needs strongest processors, i think ati 9550 will be enough.
Lvl 16
9550 would probably be OK but for the money get a 9600XT for the extra umph. Anything more may not help you. And I would see if I could replace the Celeron with an actual P4 because that will help, even if the clock speed is the same.
Lvl 9
basically your computer is absolute shite, HL2 requires massive ammounts of grpahics and processing power to run properly when all grpahics settings are on maximum (if they're not then what was the point of buying a gmae whose amin feature is that its looks so fecking amazing!!??!!) my advice is to buy an Athlon 64 XP4000 and a high spec graphics card then enjoy HL2 as it was intended.
Lvl 19
I think this myth is busted, get a new graphics card.
Lvl 17
yea when i saw 64 mb, tho I dont know anything about cards, it seemed a bit "skinny". The back ground programs I keep at a minimum. Now with a gig of ram its not so important but I still keep watch my running programs.

So I should get a video card?

lol K Rika I search for that one. As far as a new processor thats not a bolt on is it? I mean how hard is it to replace my processor?

For now I'll get the card. Thanks all.
Lvl 10
Quote:
Originally posted by theothemonkey

also, half life 2 is known for offloading a lot of work to the processor

His POS CPU doesnt help at all.
Its not made for hardcore gaming.

Save up build a new comp like I did.
REALLY fast and Cheap too. Under 1000$

**EDIT**
"lol K Rika I search for that one. As far as a new processor thats not a bolt on is it? I mean how hard is it to replace my processor?"

It's very easy. Remove the heatsink and pop the CPU out of the Z Slot, its got a little lever.
The thing to worry about is whether or not the new CPU you're buying is compatible with the Motherboard.
Lvl 17
Quote:
Originally posted by xxxboris2005

basically your computer is absolute shite, HL2 requires massive ammounts of grpahics and processing power to run properly when all grpahics settings are on maximum (if they're not then what was the point of buying a gmae whose amin feature is that its looks so fecking amazing!!??!!) my advice is to buy an Athlon 64 XP4000 and a high spec graphics card then enjoy HL2 as it was intended.

i wshi i culd tpye likk yuo, yuo tpye wlle wlil you taech mecc?

<translation>
you are a moron... flee from this forum
</translation>
  • Goto: