Score: 3.67 Votes: 3
rate this

Gardenia cuttings ?... LOL

Starter: [Deleted] Posted: 12 years ago Views: 3.3K
  • Goto:
bet this never was posted yet !!! ok ok ok ... so i have this 8 foot tall Gardenia & have been trying a lot of diff things i found on Google to get the cuttings to root, NO Luck & i'm my third set of 4 cuttings. grrrr - been told Gardenia's are one of the hardest to root.

So, any one have any "actual" experience with this that can help me out? I got spring fever & sobriety like an M n F'er this year. lol

forgot to add the pics.
Lvl 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Americanbulldog

forgot to add the pics.

Glad you added 'em. Cause otherwise this thread was lost.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bangledesh

Glad you added 'em. Cause otherwise this thread was lost.

no idea what that means
Lvl 29
Sobriety's pretty cool!! Congratulations, bud!!

You can find anything you want on WBW!! Even landscaping tips!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowdemon

Sobriety's pretty cool!! Congratulations, bud!!

You can find anything you want on WBW!! Even landscaping tips!!

except for this post... lol. i happen to go to any legnth to stay sober, even if it leads to wind up asking ??? like this post LMAO
call Espositos
Lvl 18
Best wishes for a long happy dry spell. One day at a time brother...

I replanted and had great success. Two words - Miracle Grow. Potting soil and food. Unless you are one of those pureists that think that is like using PED. Then good frickin' luck... If so, try sprinkling in a cup or so of the ashes of a favorite relative or hated foe. Probably need some good or bad mojo for real deep lasting roots to grow.
Quote:
Originally posted by FamilyGuy

Best wishes for a long happy dry spell. One day at a time brother...

I replanted and had great success. Two words - Miracle Grow. Potting soil and food. Unless you are one of those pureists that think that is like using PED. Then good frickin' luck... If so, try sprinkling in a cup or so of the ashes of a favorite relative or hated foe. Probably need some good or bad mojo for real deep lasting roots to grow.

nah, chemicals are my friend ..lol but, black cow manure is worth its weight in gold.. so to speak... never met a plant that didn't like it.
Family Guy - dig it bro
Lvl 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Americanbulldog

Family Guy - dig it bro

Nice! Good luck!
Nice gardenias
Lvl 19
Have you tried using rooting hormones, such as Schultz Take Root. Also make sure that the media you are using does not stay to wet or dry. Also be sure to water the parent plants the night before and take the cuttings early in the day before the plant losses to much moisture through evaporation. The best planting media that I have found to work is a 50/50 mixture of sand and peat moss.
Quote:
Originally posted by nemisis02

Have you tried using rooting hormones, such as Schultz Take Root. Also make sure that the media you are using does not stay to wet or dry. Also be sure to water the parent plants the night before and take the cuttings early in the day before the plant losses to much moisture through evaporation. The best planting media that I have found to work is a 50/50 mixture of sand and peat moss.

you name it I tried it. I finally broke down and asked my Dad for help (he's 83) been a chemist his entire working career & a passion for gardening. I am expecting a special custom blend package & other things from him in the next day or so.. will let yall know what it is & will start working on it saturday.. who knows.. it might even grow huge weed plants for all you types out there lmfao but i'll just stick to regular plants thanx... j/king

btw rooting powder is the worst, you want to use the liquid kind according to a local nursery down by me & i'm not talking about the people at Lowes, Ace or HomeDepot.
Lvl 28
I like this thread.

Outside of a hilarious horticulture class I took, which I mostly slept through...I have nothing to add.

I remember I did a lot of awesome drawings in that class, I also once got a handyjay, sans sand.
Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_X

I like this thread.

Outside of a hilarious horticulture class I took, which I mostly slept through...I have nothing to add.

I remember I did a lot of awesome drawings in that class, I also once got a handyjay, sans sand.

Gahhh my buddy is speachless ? how'd that hootch ever turn out? you need me to ship u my still or just the guide & drwaings

its sits out back getting ready to be junked.. just haven't gotten to it yet... buisy making people laugh on here and all ... weeeee

peace bro
ok so here's the majic formula everyone's been waiting for "everything is in U.S. measurement"

1. Perlyte - horticultural grade 4 cups
1a. milled phyagnum peat moss 4.5cups
2. vermiculite - horicultural grade 4 cups
3. Gritty sand like they use in cement (no pebbles) 1 1/4 cup
4. 1 bottle "Best Grow" its a super concentrated homone can be used on seedlings, cuttings & grown plants.(keep refrigerated when not in use)
5. green house mega store is a good place to start on the web

hand mix well in clean dry bucket.. & if it's been used for floor mop stuff I suggest you wash it out with dawn
an then dry it. with 1 drop best grow added to 1 gal distilled water.. add it slowly to you mixture until you can squeez it
in your hand & it gently falls apart.. (thats for seeds, seedling & cuttings).. full grown plants read the instructions.

happy growing... btw if your doing weed - just use blackcow....lmfao

edited to add 1a.
* This post has been modified : 12 years ago
Lvl 19
I have messed around with a technique called "air layering" but never on gardenias. Google it and give it a try and good luck !

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/ornamentals/airlayer/airlayer.html
ahh this comes from a chemist / scientist with manny happy years of gardening ( my 83yr old POP )

thanx F1098
Lvl 4
The air layering method is what u need to try. Here are some tips: scrape the stem just barely enough to.expose the cambium layer under the bark. Google it, you do not want to cut through the cambium. Then, apply the rooting hormone to the wound before covering in damp peat moss. Get some Glad Press and Seal. That makes it easy to open the plastic and remoisten as nessesary. Keep it damp, not dripping wet. It will take a month or so for roots to appear, then clip it off the parent plant and put it in the ground.
Also, do this on a new branch tip. Something new and tender, not an old woody branch tip.
Good luck!
  • Goto: