Score: 4.33 Votes: 3
rate this

Hybrid Car ??

Starter: jdawson1960 Posted: 15 years ago Views: 298
Lvl 8
I am getting ready to buy another car now. When gas prices were $4 plus, I was really thinking about buying a hybrid. Now with gas prices back down to $2 or less, should I.

I understand the environment situation, however with the cost of a hybrid being $5k plus more, I will never make the money back over the life of the 4-5 years I am going to keep the car.

So any feedback of your experience owning a hybrid, or why I should or shoulnt would be appreciated.
Lvl 18
buy a horse
Lvl 19
I won't flat out dismiss the current hybrids, but they are heavy and have a very short range on the batteries alone. My friend had one that had battery trouble and it was more expensive to fix than just getting a used 4-banger. They are a good concept and may be great in the near future just not quite there yet. Oh and for god sake don't get one of those flex fuel pieces of crap cause running E85 gets you 3-4 mpg less than straight gas, at least in all 7 vehicles my father and I have driven using the E85 and several of my friends have had the same problem. Not sure why that happens but I think it has something to do with how alcohol burns as apposed to the gas portion.

Going with Poop's idea works to, plus if it breaks down you can eat it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Poop

buy a horse

If the price is a bit high for you, I would let all the rich I'm saving the planet guys sort it out first.
Just go with a WRX or something.
Lvl 28
fuck the hybrid... i would rather go broke putting gas in a bad ass car, than be cought in a ugly ass fuel efficient car....
Lvl 28
Quote:
Originally posted by nemisis02

I won't flat out dismiss the current hybrids, but they are heavy and have a very short range on the batteries alone. My friend had one that had battery trouble and it was more expensive to fix than just getting a used 4-banger. They are a good concept and may be great in the near future just not quite there yet. Oh and for god sake don't get one of those flex fuel pieces of crap cause running E85 gets you 3-4 mpg less than straight gas, at least in all 7 vehicles my father and I have driven using the E85 and several of my friends have had the same problem. Not sure why that happens but I think it has something to do with how alcohol burns as apposed to the gas portion.

Going with Poop's idea works to, plus if it breaks down you can eat it.
e-85 is 85% ethanol... ethanol is cooler and slower burning... you have to use about 1.6 times the amount of fuel... it is a good alternitave to race gas, but it's a lot more expensive to use compared to 87 oct. fuel...
Lvl 40
I had a Toyota Prius Hybrid 1.5L hatchback as a work vehicle for about 6 months before I changed jobs recently ... The hybrid was great in terms of fuel efficiency around the city where there was a lot of stop/start and sitting in traffic , but was not very efficient when it came to the open road and in fact used more fuel on open road trips than my 4.2L Holden Commodore did. Just something to note if you do lots of long trips.

I'm not really a small car fan but I enjoyed driving the Prius and it had good handling and traction but I probably wouldn't go out and buy one for myself unless they made them a lot bigger
Lvl 13
the prices will only gonna sky rocket so go with a hybrid.
Lvl 40
Quote:
Originally posted by leon2006

the prices will only gonna sky rocket so go with a hybrid.

Yes and No ... The hybrid may save you some money on the fuel side of things .. but as nemisis02 has already pointed out the cost of maintenance on them is a lot higher than standard cars. The batteries on the current models do have a high failure rate and they are not cheap to replace.
If you really wanted a hybrid though, a lease option with a service plan included wouldn't be a bad idea as opposed to buying one outright