Score: 4.00 Votes: 2
rate this

headlight problem

Starter: rainbowdemon Posted: 17 years ago Views: 801
Lvl 29
I just bought a 1992 Mercury Cougar from a friend. Pretty nice car, but the headlights don't work. The dashboard switch has been replaced and so has the fuse. But it has a high beam flash on the turn signal lever. Pull it forward and the high beams come on until you let go of it. If I use that, and don't let go, they stay on. That's the only way I can have headlights at all. The d00d I bought it from can't figure it out either, and he's pretty good with cars.

Any ideas?

* This post has been modified : 17 years ago
Lvl 17
Can I ask a dumb question?? Dont take this the wrong way, but when was the last time you checked the headlight bulbs?? Alot of time they are burned out. Have you tried to change them out?
Lvl 29
^^

Not a dumb question at all. Sometimes it's easy to overlook the obvious. But the bulbs are fine. They do work with the high beam flasher.
Lvl 17
Well I know you said the HIGH beams work right? I know when you pull on the lever, its suppost to put the high beams on, but they are separate from the low beams, even if its on bulb, the low could be out. I guess another way of putting it is if you havent just tried putting a brandnew bulb in it for shits and giggles, thats where id start. If youve replaced the switch and fuses, the next problem is the bulb...IF that isnt it, check the harness that plugs into the headlight assembly. I had to replace the ones on my old civic, then it worked.
Lvl 37
I had the same problem with a Jeep. No low beam but had high. I just knew there was a switch involved, probably the one you have to take the dash. steering wheel column or entire engine apart

This was the olden days, no simple bulb replacement. Someone said replace the headlights. Yeah, right, no way both low beams went out at the same time.

Yep, you guessed it; replaced the headlights and solved the problem.
Lvl 12
i have a tbird similar vintage - to get the high beams to stay on push forward and the control stick will stay forward - pull back to just flash em
Lvl 29
I'll try that.

(beer)
Lvl 12
This topic is no where near what I thought it'd be....shame.
Lvl 8
there is relays for the headlights as well as fuses. i would start there next. if they are good and the switch is good, check for a broken wire. and just a heads up from a auto mechanic, those t-birds might be the worst cars on earth to work on.