Score: 3.00 Votes: 2
rate this

Chevy LUV 350

Starter: kungpow88 Posted: 15 years ago Views: 479
Lvl 12
I have a LUV truck and i have had it since I was 17. It is my first car. I haven't been able to drive it for the past few years since the smog laws changed. I want to put a 350 in it and I need help with what the right part are like tranny and rear end. Has any one got any ideas?
Lvl 5
If you can't get it to pass smog tests now, I don't think you may be experienced enough to do a engine swap. This has been done many times and your pocket book is the limit as to what engine / tranny / rearend you use. They make kits to install sb chevys, a automatic is easier than a stick, and you can use your stock rear end by having the driveshaft modified.
Lvl 12
Originally the truck was an Arizona truck. When I got it, I had to bring it to California. It is a non-catalyst car. No cat on the exhaust. Now that we have to run cars on a dyno during the smog test. It will not pass under a load on the motor. I was wondering what would be a good reliable power train to use. Do I use a turbo 350 tranny or a 400. Or a camaro rear end or a S10? The truck has a two piece drive shaft. It is a long bed truck. Most of the conversions I have seen were done to short bed trucks.
Lvl 28
if it's not too powerful of a engine, i would use a th 350, or a overdrive if it's going to be a cruiser...a 10 bolt (8 1/2) out of a camaro would be good... i don't know what they came with stock... also, some states will let you put a new motor in a car, if you use the new motors emission ecuiptment...another option, is see if you can get antique plates...less restrictions on emissions, but find out what your state says...
Lvl 13
What year LUV is it? It will still need to pass the CA smog. The "standard" will be what was required for the year of manufacture. More than likely you will need a smog pump, etc.