Score: 5.00 Votes: 1
rate this

Site Performance Change?

Starter: ishavedmyballs4this Posted: 3 years ago Views: 436
Lvl 37
I started to notice a change in performance on the site that I first started noticing on July 12th/13th. I run Windows 10 (16 GB RAM) and use Firefox (v78.0.2/64-bit). When I first load the site, everything is fine, then performance starts to decay (lag, buttons take time to appear, cursor slows down). Over time, the site and my PC slow down dramatically and either Firefox crashes or I am forced to reboot. I started watching Firefox in Task Manager and found that the tab that Firefox opens the site in starts to grab RAM and (to a lesser degree) CPU even if I am doing nothing on the site. The RAM usage increases until either Firefox or my PC stops working. High RAM usage does not stop, even after I leave the site if I continue to use the browser tab that the site was loaded in. I can only stop the issue if I crash the Firefox tab subprocess that the site was loaded on in Task Manager by ending that subprocess.

Just wondering if there was a change in coding or scripting on the site earlier in the week? This is the only site that is giving me an issue and it occurs every time I access the site. If I don't load this site, issue never occurs. I never use IE/Edge browsers, so haven't tested with them. I can try Chrome, but not sure that would help given Chrome is already known for issues with high resource usage. I was going to test using Firefox without addons, but since this is the only site giving the issue, I'm not sure that would be helpful (I use NoScript and UBlock Origin addons in Firefox). Thanks.
Lvl 61
I have experienced the same with IE, Edge, Chrome and safari
Lvl 25
The site doesn’t use tracking/ads scripts or any other kind of scripts that take much resources. There have only been minor updates to the site, no changes towards javascript or changes to usage of elements that could take more resources.

As it doesn’t happen on any browsers we test in (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Brave, Opera) I personally don’t think it is our site.

A way to find out is to use the development console of your browser and see resource usage.

I know that Chrome and Firefox can be memory and resource hungry. Closing your browser should release those processes. Reboot needed seems another issue to me.
babeologist finds this awesome.
Lvl 37
Ok, thanks for responding! It just seemed weird that It changed behavior from one day to the next and that this is the only site causing the issue. I can watch a tab I load the site on in Task Manager and see the RAM usage continually increase, even doing nothing as soon as I access this site. I have no issues with Firefox and resource usage, even with 10-12 tabs open. I just wanted to check and see if any changes had been made to the site earlier in the week when the issue started for me. I'll use the Dev Console as you suggested to see if I can locate what else might be causing the issue. Thanks again!
Lvl 25
Are you still having issues?